which browser you prefer

Chat about just about anything else
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Re: which browser you prefer

Post by pascal111 »

I think default browser for Mint is nice, Mozilla Firefox, It works fine with me.
Self-made poems and fables https://soundcloud.com/user-393369096

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Jeannie

there are other browsers that can piece meal what FF does,
that's okay, but I refuse to even mess with them....
none of them feel like FF and FF to me, defines what a browser should be.

end of game.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

I use Srware Iron, a Chrome-based browser.
Some versions are good, others are not.
Srware Iron maintains an official archive of archived versions.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am
Jeannie

there are other browsers that can piece meal what FF does,
that's okay, but I refuse to even mess with them....
none of them feel like FF and FF to me, defines what a browser should be.

end of game.
Wow! I point out that Brave can do without extensions what Firefox does with extensions and you essentially say that Brave is piecemeal?

If you are happy with Firefox and do not want to "mess" with other browsers to see if you may like them or not, that's your choice and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with you denigrating other browsers when you haven't even tried them. I have tried Firefox several times over the years and I simply do not like it. I find it clumsy and unintuitive. That doesn't mean it isn't the right choice for anyone else.

Keep in mind the topic of this thread is "Which browser do you prefer".
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

Firefox.
Customizability.
I can customize the chrome/UI.
Love the multi-container extension.

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I use chromium for general browsing and a fortified firefox for just commerce and banking. I like to keep those two uses separated.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

Firefox, with "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed", use ublock , Privacy Badger & DuckDuckGo search. I have been using Firefox for more than 15 years (I can not remember how long exactly) What I do know is: I get zero spam & my PC has never been infected to date. I surf with care and never open email links, (Even from my spouse because I know he surfs dangerously!) I had a brief bout of spam after subscribing to the New York Times & I promptly cancelled the subscripting and sent them an email saying I knew they had sold my data AFTER paying them. I told them "do not bother to reply because after sending this mail I am killing the the e-mail address!" I did kill that email address and now make deep inquiries before paying for any kind of subscriptions. I donate to Mozilla on a monthly basis because in all this time, they have never done me wrong!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell

theone33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theone33 »

I use Google chrome the most. But I have all browsers installed, I don't know why :D

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

kenetics wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:58 pm
I use chromium for general browsing and a fortified firefox for just commerce and banking. I like to keep those two uses separated.
What is "fortified" firefox?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Chromium is the open source software on which Google Chrome is based. Chromium is lauded about it NOT giving information to Google, but my experience with Chromium is that I have to wade through several fields of submenus that ALL want to send information to mother Google. Again and again I get tired of Google's endless need for information about me.

If one wants an alternative for Google there simply is only Firefox, or Firefox based alternatives.

It seems to cost about 500 million dollars a year to run a webbrowser commercially these days. And Firefox is barely coping nowadays to get that amount together. In the nineties there was a big power struggle between several internet browsers, among which the most popular were Netscape and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Both have been obliterated. Internet browsers, back then though, were the hottest thing. Now search engine(s) have taken over the internet. The (s) after "search engine" is added ironically, because basically only Google runs the internet these days with it's staggering monopoly.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

IMHO, Firefox gives the best options for protecting yourself from data collection. Especially if you tell it to not remember history and search with Duck Duck Go. I also have it clean the cache every time I close it. No nasties have ever gotten into my machine. Knowing what it cost to run the service, I donate on a subscription plan, monthly. It's also time to start donating to Linux Mint. I've been using it for 2 months now and am never going back.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

JTemple wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:27 pm
It's also time to start donating to Linux Mint. I've been using it for 2 months now and am never going back.
*roaring applause*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Synthetase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synthetase »

Firefox. Been using it since ~1.2 (ish?). Love it. I'm a web dev and use it for development every day.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

One thing that really ticks me off: more and more companies are only playing nice with Google. I have been having some difficulty, with sites I have been on for years , suddenly giving me login errors. When I contact CS, I am told to use Google Chrome. I tell them I will live without them before I will allow them to dictate what search engine & browser I will use. Has Google been making deals or are IT staff morons? Either way, it looks like I am fighting an uphill battle. No doubt, because so many users say "Duh? Oh, OK" Internet rebellion seems to be off the table. So many people say "Ah, I've got nothing to hide." HANG! that is not the point! Wait until someone else is running credit cards in your name, wrecking your credit rating, selling property you own, commit crimes in your name, lock you out of your own accounts, try to black mail you. It can take years to straighten out the mess. The gate keepers are those most often hacked! It seems to me we all must be our own gate keepers. People think I am nuts. I refuse to open any links, any where (I can find the site myself, thank you), I refuse to buy subscriptions where I must OK third party rights, I do back ups in triplicate (3 external USB HD) I never leave external drives connected when not in use. The New York Times sold my info after I subscribed to pay. I knew where all the trash in my inbox came from because until I paid them I had ZERO spam or trash. I promptly wrote them to close the account, why and how I knew. I then killed what had been my primary email address for 25 years. I am back to getting zero trash email.
Last edited by JTemple on Sun May 24, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

Synthetase wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 am
Firefox. Been using it since ~1.2 (ish?). Love it. I'm a web dev and use it for development every day.
What search engine do you use? After all, if you get Google to do the search on Firefox, your not much further ahead.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

I've tried many but I seem to go back to Firefox. Chrome is faster but I wonder about the security of it. Only thing I hate about FF is when they removed the 'Yellow' folders :evil:

t42
Level 3
Level 3

Post by t42 »

Browser make doesn't matter as much as you may think it does. The browser engine is not exactly your friend, it strives to work as good as it can on behalf of server-side web interface and you may not suspect the extent of the server supervision over user actions. Anyway the client side web interface can be changed based on user needs. User experience of two heavily customized Firefox browsers can differ more than the one between standard Chrome and Firefox...
Last edited by t42 on Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

For a few years I used WaterFox and loved it. Only problem is they don't send out updates fast enough and a lot of sites will tell you that you need to update your browser. This was the end of WaterFox with me :(

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

When a website tells me to use a different browser, I use a different website. If a website's tech help recommends Google Chrome, I impolitely tell them no way.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 am
When a website tells me to use a different browser, I use a different website. If a website's tech help recommends Google Chrome, I impolitely tell them no way.
Your banking account :mrgreen:

Return to “Open chat”