Social Media is Draining You

Chat about just about anything else
mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

I'd like to share my experience with something almost feels like magic.
I have deleted my social media profiles from existence. It was one of those night I was thinking within myself why am I so stuck up and cant find motivations to do anything. I am in college, my professors love, I am the most participating student in every class i have, yet i was never happy from within.
I noticed how social media is draining my brain, soul, everything.
I noticed how social media is making me compare my life with other's fake lives.
I noticed how I was being tricked by social media how people only upload pictures of their brightest time, but they are most likely as depressed and unhappy, and unsuccessful as most people on social media.
On that night i decided I will not rethink of what i am gonna do and just deleted every social media i have and kept only one thing only and i only check it for news from crypto and other stuff which is twitter.

fast forward its been over 3 months almost, I have boosted my marks at college unexpectedly. I am connected more with my family and people surrounding me.
I have reduced the amount of dopamine addiction I had.
every morning i wake up, watch a movie with my dad sometimes >> go on udemy continue on my progress on daily >> i sometimes read book for one hour and trying to boost that to 2 hours per day, but im at 1 hour a day or none.
at night i play videogames with friends when they call me to get on.
That's pretty much it, I just feel like connected to life and it makes me feel so much better about myself

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by 151tom »

Good for you.

To many people seem to live for social media websites.

I've never had a Facebook account or any other social media account other than computer forums and amateur radio forums.

I guess one could say that computer forums and amateur radio forums are social media websites and I guess they are however content seems to be of a shared interest such as computers and amateur radio.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I had a Facebook account for many years and around the 2014 mid-term election cycle really started to consider all the negativity out there which conduits like various social media platforms make it worse by hyper-concentrating the noise, nonsense, and BS. I started to back away from it then, and by about 2017, I was essentially a non-user, but with an active account. After Hurricane Irma came through the state (during which time I did use it for outreach and emergency communication purposes) and as an outgrowth of on-going dissatisfaction and some recent issues, I closed the account.

I had opened a Twitter account circa 2015 but didn't really start using it in earnest until early/mid 2016, and by the end of 2017, I closed it out as well.

I believe social media has always had the potential to serve the greater good, and I think originally it fulfilled that mission, but as time has passed and as things have developed because of the way many societies work, it's exactly as you have described it.

At present, LMF is my only public outlet, and while it's kind of limiting in certain respects (it's not an appropriate venue for certain of my creative impulses and occasional in-real-life rants) I'm actually content to live with just it and nothing else.

There are a number of good friends I had on FB with whom I wish I was still able to be in contact. Regrettably, those folk do not choose to make themselves available through any other mechanism, so I'm only still in contact with those who use other Internet-based mechanisms, such as WhatsApp and (gasp!) email.

Unlike in Europe generally and Germany especially, most Americans don't even know what WhatsApp is, nor do they care to try it. It happens that with all the Americans I knew on Facebook (and a very, very few Germans) the option to chat with them, apart from in a group somewhere, was Facebook Chat, take it or leave it. I gave everyone I knew a YEAR to migrate or at least open other avenues. 98% did not. I guess our friendship just wasn't that important to them, so... too bad.

Es ist was es ist, mino9421.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Roadpower
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roadpower »

I believe it was Facebook people who openly admitted on stage (IE recorded) that they deliberately designed their systems to dopamine hook people in. So of course it is a drain.

Back in the 90's there was a company by the name of Mirabilis, they wrote a program called ICQ. That little app was effectively a social media progenitor. At the time I thought it was great and then I soon discovered that they were employing a trick to collect personal information. I quickly stopped using it but the lesson forever stayed with me. Because of them I have never signed up for any social media platform other than Gab which I still haven't made use of.

Social media is just data harvesting for marketing and government. Using it is about as unwise as it gets IMO. I'm fine with bulletin boards and forums, they're usually a far different animal.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Roadpower wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 pm
Back in the 90's there was a company by the name of Mirabilis, they wrote a program called ICQ. That little app was effectively a social media progenitor. At the time I thought it was great and then I soon discovered that they were employing a trick to collect personal information. I quickly stopped using it but the lesson forever stayed with me. Because of them I have never signed up for any social media platform other than Gab which I still haven't made use of.
ICQ got acquired by some Russian company. I've used it in more recent times to chat with people on here, but I haven't had it installed or accessed it in any way in more fresh installs of Linux Mint and/or other distros than I can remember, and honestly I refuse to run any Russian-made software. Unless it's totally libre licensed from the get-go and 150% respected by the libre dev community, I won't touch it.

— Voltaire

mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

I am writing ideas and concepts to create a social media web-app. I am trying to combine the best of everything twitter, facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc...
I am trying to make something that disconnected the advertisements and business models from getting hooked on it for their dominant use.
I hate Instagram because it became a business/propaganda platform for those who's got the most audience = followers...
I want to make something healthy, something not based of the dopamine surging mechanism. Something that delivers a real purpose of social media.
I want to reduce the danger of the social media on children, because they are in danger always internet is an open space and predators are on it hunting kids on TIKTOK, instagram, etc...
I write down my ideas and im trying to come up with a design that is not possible to corrupt.
Im starting to learn Node.js in less than a week or so and then ill move to React.
in a year an a half approximately I have to create a project for my graduation for a CAPSTONE course and I hope I will get to make this prototype

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

1.) what is social media?
2.) are the participants to be named or anonymous?
3.) will it have searchable threads?
4.) will it have subsections, sub-threads?
5.) how different from a discussion forum will it be?
6.) will it have moderators?

Maybe this, LinuxMint Forum, Open Chat, is Social Media, no adverts, anonymous, searchable, sub-threads - what else?

mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

RollyShed wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:12 am
1.) what is social media?
2.) are the participants to be named or anonymous?
3.) will it have searchable threads?
4.) will it have subsections, sub-threads?
5.) how different from a discussion forum will it be?
6.) will it have moderators?

Maybe this, LinuxMint Forum, Open Chat, is Social Media, no adverts, anonymous, searchable, sub-threads - what else?
1.) what is social media? interact with actual friends not for showing off purposes more like private circles
2.) are the participants to be named or anonymous? you can chose to name yourself whatever you want preferably anonymous names like aliases
3.) will it have searchable threads? no searchable threads
4.) will it have subsections, sub-threads? no such thing too
5.) how different from a discussion forum will it be? its not a forum, people will be able to create polls like facebook to chose for instance an activity to do, make statements like twitter, etc...
6.) will it have moderators? moderators will be the people in the company reading the reports

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

The term social media should be renamed anti-social media. Look at most people on a bus or train and they will be staring intently at the phone in their hands, utterly oblivious of the world around them.
Cliff Coggin

Roadpower
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roadpower »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:08 am
The term social media should be renamed anti-social media. Look at most people on a bus or train and they will be staring intently at the phone in their hands, utterly oblivious of the world around them.
For this reason alone I really dislike smart phones. They're useful but they turn people into isolated beings. I wouldn't have a problem so much with that when people were in their own space but when you're out and about the obliviousness irks me a good bit.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

It's certainly taking its toll on the maturational development of successive generations of the public as a whole, and the workforce in particular.

Not just professionalism, but appropriate decorum and demeanor in a public environment has taken a nose dive.

— Voltaire

mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

Roadpower wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:26 am
cliffcoggin wrote:
For this reason alone I really dislike smart phones. They're useful but they turn people into isolated beings. I wouldn't have a problem so much with that when people were in their own space but when you're out and about the obliviousness irks me a good bit.
This one is on the spot, I've been on couple dates were my date is busy on phone. Isn't that disrespectful ? I am trying to have some special time with the person, but they keep taking pictures of the food or other unnecessary things. I want to remember our first Date with some good memories not food pictures if its ever gonna happen and continue seeing each other. That's just one example, I can count many other occurrences with friends. I want to question them a deep question, but it also gonna hurt them... why are they taking pics and showing them off on Social media ? who are they trying to impress if their best friend is standing right in front of them...

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Roadpower wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:26 am
cliffcoggin wrote:
Where do you think facebook got it's logo from
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Social media helped me reconnect with relatives and friends all scattered around the globe. It's cool to know they became successful as some of them are now celebrities or have kids who are now celebrities, business owners, elected officials, doctors, religious leaders, and multi-awardees on their fields of professions. Of course, some of them didn't find the success they were aiming for. That's life...

Social media also enables us to collectively help those in need in a timely manner.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 am
It's certainly taking its toll on the maturational development of successive generations of the public as a whole, and the workforce in particular.

Not just professionalism, but appropriate decorum and demeanor in a public environment has taken a nose dive.
Manners have taken a nose dive because people are inconsiderate and ignorant. Newer generations belong to the "instant gratification" and "anything goes" schools of thought but probably much of the blame should be laid with their parents.

I am not on Facebook or any other of those things. When friends tell me I should be so they could send me things I tell them that if it is worth sending they can send it by email and if it is not worth an email then it is not worth sending.

People do not want to put any effort into anything any more. They want it easy but anything worthwhile is not easy. That's what makes it worthwhile.

I was chatting with a friend over dinner at a restaurant and, as I am talking, he starts typing into his smartphone and it irritated me and I stopped talking. When he looked up at me I asked him if he was done and he said he was just looking for info on what I was telling him. I guess that is the way many people behave today. I would not dream of doing that. Either I wait until I am alone or, if I absolutely need to look it up that very moment, I would say something like "you know that is a very interesting question, excuse me just a moment while I look it up and we can find the answer" and share what I am doing. But for all I knew he was just ignoring me while I was talking and texting his girlfriend. Which he also often does.

The same guy likes to call me on the phone while he is driving and our conversations are interrupted and interspersed with noises, shouts of "stay in your lane you **ss**!", "hold on, I think I passed my exit .... wait, I wonder if I can get off here ... oh well, I'll just go to the next exit ... Ok, carry on".

Another friend calls me while she is busy cooking in the kitchen and the conversation is continuously interrupted by dropped utensils, running water, etc.

No, I am not interested in having a non-essential conversation under those conditions. I am only chatting with you for the pleasure of chatting and it is no pleasure that way. Call me when you can give me your full attention or just don't call me. Don't call me when you are doing something else and you are bored. Yes, I can hear you whispering to the other person to hand you the kitchen cloth. I did not call you. You called me. You are irritating me and wasting my time.

More and more often I just say "Oh, I see you are busy and I don't want to be in your way; please call me back when you are free." Or I just pretend I cannot hear them well. A friend likes to leave the phone on the speaker on the kitchen counter while he moves around the kitchen making noises and I can barely hear him. What? What was that? What did you just say? After a bit of this he suggests we talk some other time.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Only if you let it happen / want it.
I had faciesbook but deleted it about 2 years ago, sorry for those 6 (yes six) friends I had there. 1 of them switched to signal, but within a year signal was deleted.
Never heard from that friend again.
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

GS3 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:16 pm
Manners have taken a nose dive because people are inconsiderate and ignorant. Newer generations belong to the "instant gratification" and "anything goes" schools of thought but probably much of the blame should be laid with their parents.
I agree with everything you said. I've researched things in the middle of a conversation, but generally I will explain I'm doing precisely that because, well, I simply don't want to be rude.

Bolle1961 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:28 pm
I had faciesbook but deleted it about 2 years ago, sorry for those 6 (yes six) friends I had there. 1 of them switched to signal, but within a year signal was deleted.
Never heard from that friend again.
Y'know, when I was still on FarceBook, I gave all my friends a year warning, then a six month warning, then a one month warning, that I was leaving, and that if they wanted to remain in contact, to do so at least via SMS, and preferably via Signal or, alternatively, WhatsApp. Absolutely no takers whatsoever when it came to Signal, and three with WhatsApp. Today, those are the only people I keep in contact with, except for the handful of people I actually know in person.

I guess it simply is what it is.

— Voltaire

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

GS3 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:16 pm
Portreve wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 am

I am not on Facebook or any other of those things. When friends tell me I should be so they could send me things I tell them that if it is worth sending they can send it by email and if it is not worth an email then it is not worth sending.

People do not want to put any effort into anything any more. They want it easy but anything worthwhile is not easy. That's what makes it worthwhile.

I was chatting with a friend over dinner at a restaurant and, as I am talking, he starts typing into his smartphone and it irritated me and I stopped talking. When he looked up at me I asked him if he was done and he said he was just looking for info on what I was telling him. I guess that is the way many people behave today. I would not dream of doing that. Either I wait until I am alone or, if I absolutely need to look it up that very moment, I would say something like "you know that is a very interesting question, excuse me just a moment while I look it up and we can find the answer" and share what I am doing. But for all I knew he was just ignoring me while I was talking and texting his girlfriend. Which he also often does.

The same guy likes to call me on the phone while he is driving and our conversations are interrupted and interspersed with noises, shouts of "stay in your lane you **ss**!", "hold on, I think I passed my exit .... wait, I wonder if I can get off here ... oh well, I'll just go to the next exit ... Ok, carry on".

Another friend calls me while she is busy cooking in the kitchen and the conversation is continuously interrupted by dropped utensils, running water, etc.

No, I am not interested in having a non-essential conversation under those conditions. I am only chatting with you for the pleasure of chatting and it is no pleasure that way. Call me when you can give me your full attention or just don't call me. Don't call me when you are doing something else and you are bored. Yes, I can hear you whispering to the other person to hand you the kitchen cloth. I did not call you. You called me. You are irritating me and wasting my time.

More and more often I just say "Oh, I see you are busy and I don't want to be in your way; please call me back when you are free." Or I just pretend I cannot hear them well. A friend likes to leave the phone on the speaker on the kitchen counter while he moves around the kitchen making noises and I can barely hear him. What? What was that? What did you just say? After a bit of this he suggests we talk some other time.
Couldn't have expressed my opinion on the matter any better.

stagbucarpruspe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stagbucarpruspe »

Social media is like a two side coin. On the one hand, it can literally drain you out emotionally and physically. People who spend a lot of time on their social accounts forget what real communication is and how to behave with other people. They become scared of any interactions with human beings, finding the refuge on social media. Indeed, it’s easier to express ideas, debatable opinions or some negative comments in writing than face to face. The other side of the coin is that social media is a good platform where many earn millions by taking nice pictures, videos or promoting a product. Personally, I look at social media accounts as the second option described. I know everything about how to promote a page on Facebook or Twitter and how to buy views on Instagram. It all depends how you use social media platforms.
Last edited by stagbucarpruspe on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PompeyMoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PompeyMoosh »

I closed my FB account 3 years ago. I got sick to death with:

1. The prolific posting of photos of every pub, club, restaurant, concert, beach visit. Those endless cheek-to-cheek selfies with a friend/partner or taking a photograph of their dinner. No idea what started all this nonsense. I think people are just on auto-pilot these days. I hate people getting their phones out in pubs/restaurants!
2. Those who post a photo of themselves outside a polling station like they are some person of importance.
3. The self-righteous.
4. Women who post their latest haircut, expecting a big response of how lovely they look.
5. That anti-vaccination woman called Karen, who seems to be an expert on everything. An expert whinger more like.
6. It's just a huge time-waster.

Why do so many people advertise to the world that their house is empty whilst on holiday or that their wife is home alone whilst they are away on business? Crazy.

Yes, social media is draining. It also coincides with the rise of all this mental health talk which started around the same time as the masses joining Facebook.

Return to “Open chat”