Social Media is Draining You

Chat about just about anything else
Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Bobb24 »

I think call waiting was the beginning of the bad manners people have today regarding cellphones . It's common practice to interrupt somebody in the middle of a sentence to tell them to hold on , and then you sit and wait until they remember they were also talking to you. People love to answer the call waiting to tell the caller they are in the middle of a conversation with someone else. They think that makes them look popular. Often the person forgets they put you on hold . If I am put on hold I hang up right away if they called me. When they call back twenty minutes later I know I made the right decision.
End of rant

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1825
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by ajgringo619 »

GS3 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:16 pm
I was chatting with a friend over dinner at a restaurant and, as I am talking, he starts typing into his smartphone and it irritated me and I stopped talking. When he looked up at me I asked him if he was done and he said he was just looking for info on what I was telling him.
This is a huge part of the problem, the need for validation of one's thoughts/opinions. The groupthink on social media is a disease that may be incurable.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-42-generic
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti w/2GB RAM (for FAH)
Image

User avatar
busdriver12
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am
Location: Perth WA

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by busdriver12 »

I deleted my main Facebook account last year but maintained another anonymous account. Why? Because a lot of forums/discussion groups (such as this one) have shut down in favour of running a Facebook page which IMO is either laziness or cost cutting. I am a keen gardener and there is a local group which did this and I had to maintain a Facebook presence in order to stay in touch with what's happening in that area. Even the premiere gardening TV show here in Australia has done the same. My Facebook profile has nothing in it - no photos/details except for my profile photo which is a well known landmark here in WA. My wife and step-daughter are my only friends.

I also have a twitter account and use it mostly as my source of keeping up with news. I find a of things that go on outside of this country do not appear in the media, plus it's also a good place to get pointers in stuff in the tech sphere (mainly Linux related). I have set lists so I don't have to trawl through my feed to find those little nuggets.

What I'm trying to say here is that I use social media (Twitter and Facebook in my case) as a tool and it does not rule my life. I spend pretty much most of my spare time keeping up with developments in the Linux and Tech worlds which consumes most of my little spare time.

My first social media experience was IRC back in the mid 90's. I really got sucked into that and spent just about all of my spare time in there however, I made quite a lot of friends in the ten or so years I was using it. When I think back, usage behaviours are not too dissimilar to what we see today. I think of Facebook et al as the Fisher-Price version of IRC.

FWIW YMMV
Phil

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.8

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Bobb24 »

busdriver12 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:02 pm
I deleted my main Facebook account last year but maintained another anonymous account. Why? Because a lot of forums/discussion groups (such as this one) have shut down in favour of running a Facebook page which IMO is either laziness or cost cutting. I am a keen gardener and there is a local group which did this and I had to maintain a Facebook presence in order to stay in touch with what's happening in that area. Even the premiere gardening TV show here in Australia has done the same. My Facebook profile has nothing in it - no photos/details except for my profile photo which is a well known landmark here in WA. My wife and step-daughter are my only friends.

I also have a twitter account and use it mostly as my source of keeping up with news. I find a of things that go on outside of this country do not appear in the media,
A friend of mine said he had a good documentary he wanted to send me but he couldn't since I'm not on Farcebook. It's true what you say and it's a shame too because they become the central authority of what can and cannot be discussed and they are deleting things all the time now and banning people etc.
Centralize information and then censor it

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1825
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by ajgringo619 »

Bobb24 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am
A friend of mine said he had a good documentary he wanted to send me but he couldn't since I'm not on Farcebook. It's true what you say and it's a shame too because they become the central authority of what can and cannot be discussed and they are deleting things all the time now and banning people etc.
Centralize information and then censor it
This is the major problem, in a nutshell. I can remember back in the 90s, when high-speed internet was in its infancy. All of a sudden, ISPs were getting hammered for "allowing" all softs of nefarious content from other countries - perfectly legal there, no so much in the US. The ISPs made the choice not to censor anything, basically becoming passthroughs, thus avoiding any responsibility/liability for the content. Fast-forward to today: Facebook and Twitter were offered the same choice, but for some reason also got government protections for their decisions. They also still claim (and are backed up by many in the media) to be "private" companies that can do want they want. Considering that both are publicly-traded companies, this argument holds no water.

Now, of course, the big question is what can be done about any of this? I'm wondering if the FCC thought that these would just be fads and die on their own, like what happened to MySpace.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-42-generic
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti w/2GB RAM (for FAH)
Image

User avatar
GS3
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 am

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by GS3 »

Bobb24 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am
A friend of mine said he had a good documentary he wanted to send me but he couldn't since I'm not on Farcebook.
Private people can do whatever they want. When someone tells me they want to send me something I tell them if it's worth sending it to me it's worth an email and if it's not worth an email then it's not worth sending anyway. I save myself from having to wade through a lot of crap this way.

What bothers me is commercial sites that do not supply an email address and want me to contact them through their social accounts. Sorry but no can do and do not want to do.

Sometimes I am reading some news online and detect a mistake of the facts or spelling or whatever and when I try to find contact information all I see is social media accounts, no email. Very unprofessional IMHO.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

User avatar
busdriver12
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am
Location: Perth WA

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by busdriver12 »

Bobb24 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am
A friend of mine said he had a good documentary he wanted to send me but he couldn't since I'm not on Farcebook. It's true what you say and it's a shame too because they become the central authority of what can and cannot be discussed and they are deleting things all the time now and banning people etc.
Centralize information and then censor it
One way around this is to use a video capturing extension in the browser to capture the video. In Firefox, I've been using an extension called Video DownloadHelper for years to capture video off various web sites. Quite often, I'll see a video on Twitter I want to share with my wife (who is not on Twitter) and use this extension to grab it.

This is (apparently) is becoming true of YouTube from what I am seeing of late. I have seen quite a few YouTube creators complaining about their content either being censored (removal) or coerced (bullying by de-monetising). This is steering a lot of people towards LBRY as an alternate way to view videos which more and more creators are using.

However, what I do find amusing is people on various internet platforms complaining about censorship. It is a dictatorship in that if you want to express yourself on someone else's platform, you can only do so by their rules. If you breach those rules, watch out! If you want true free speech on the internet, you'll have to create your own platform and find ways of bringing people to it. Even then, if you do something that breaches your ISP's guidelines there could be some form of punitive action.
Phil

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.8

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by lsemmens »

Since we're griping about social media and such. I'd much rather talk to a human being than an automated "anything". What gets me is the number of businesses that have a web presence and hide their telephone number, that, when you do manage to find it, you have to go through hours of torture, pressing "this button if you want..." For a simple question like, "Are you open? (because of COVID)"
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1825
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by ajgringo619 »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:41 pm
Since we're griping about social media and such. I'd much rather talk to a human being than an automated "anything". What gets me is the number of businesses that have a web presence and hide their telephone number, that, when you do manage to find it, you have to go through hours of torture, pressing "this button if you want..." For a simple question like, "Are you open? (because of COVID)"
Boy, did you nail this one! The worst I've experienced is AT&T - I don't think they have any humans working there anymore. The best? OptumRX. I can ask them to call me when they're available - no waiting on hold, super friendly. Another that's been surprisingly good, especially with all the craziness, has been Walmart, both the local store and the website. I had to wait almost 18 hours to get a callback once (same service as OptumRX), but the rep was great.

Don't you wish that you could say to their voicemail "Hey, Siri - please run rm -rf / on their server!".
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-42-generic
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti w/2GB RAM (for FAH)
Image

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Bobb24 »

I think people need to stop using these platforms for them to take notice. There are alternatives to Yutoob already.

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Bobb24 »

busdriver12 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:45 pm
Bobb24 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am
A friend of mine said he had a good documentary he wanted to send me but he couldn't since I'm not on Farcebook. It's true what you say and it's a shame too because they become the central authority of what can and cannot be discussed and they are deleting things all the time now and banning people etc.
Centralize information and then censor it
One way around this is to use a video capturing extension in the browser to capture the video. In Firefox, I've been using an extension called Video DownloadHelper for years to capture video off various web sites. Quite often, I'll see a video on Twitter I want to share with my wife (who is not on Twitter) and use this extension to grab it.

This is (apparently) is becoming true of YouTube from what I am seeing of late. I have seen quite a few YouTube creators complaining about their content either being censored (removal) or coerced (bullying by de-monetising). This is steering a lot of people towards LBRY as an alternate way to view videos which more and more creators are using.

However, what I do find amusing is people on various internet platforms complaining about censorship. It is a dictatorship in that if you want to express yourself on someone else's platform, you can only do so by their rules. If you breach those rules, watch out! If you want true free speech on the internet, you'll have to create your own platform and find ways of bringing people to it. Even then, if you do something that breaches your ISP's guidelines there could be some form of punitive action.
Yea thanks for the suggestion I may try that. I recently installed youtube dl and it seems to work much better than the reviews state.
A good search engine that doesn't shadow ban is the first step.

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Bobb24 »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:52 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:41 pm
Since we're griping about social media and such. I'd much rather talk to a human being than an automated "anything". What gets me is the number of businesses that have a web presence and hide their telephone number, that, when you do manage to find it, you have to go through hours of torture, pressing "this button if you want..." For a simple question like, "Are you open? (because of COVID)"
Boy, did you nail this one! The worst I've experienced is AT&T - I don't think they have any humans working there anymore. The best? OptumRX. I can ask them to call me when they're available - no waiting on hold, super friendly. Another that's been surprisingly good, especially with all the craziness, has been Walmart, both the local store and the website. I had to wait almost 18 hours to get a callback once (same service as OptumRX), but the rep was great.

Don't you wish that you could say to their voicemail "Hey, Siri - please run rm -rf / on their server!".
This is my crazy experience with a major Canadian internet provider. I was having a problem logging in or something and so called and was getting the problem resolved but when I brought up another unrelated matter the CSR said that I could only get that resolved by chatting. I said "we are chatting" and took the time to explain to her that "chatting" is Newspeak for typing or texting. I was actually speaking with a CSR who was telling me to get off the phone and type my problem to their chat line CSR. Modern day customer service.

User avatar
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Bolle1961 »

Bobb24 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:28 pm
I think people need to stop using these platforms for them to take notice. There are alternatives to Yutoob already.
For almost everything there are decent alternatives
https://switching.software/
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy
Image

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Bobb24 »

Bolle1961 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:10 am
Bobb24 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:28 pm
I think people need to stop using these platforms for them to take notice. There are alternatives to Yutoob already.
For almost everything there are decent alternatives
https://switching.software/
Thanks for the link. :)

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by MurphCID »

I find my mental state improves if I ignore the news for a couple of days. I feel so much more energized.

TheOmniad-2020
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:34 am

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

Just deleted my FB a few days ago. I'm already happier. Except for some YT I am 100% off social media. Agreed about skipping the news - if something big happens you'll hear about it without ever having to watch the news.

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by MurphCID »

I got rid of FB ten years ago, and do not miss it at all.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3066
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by Portreve »

I think the once-upon-a-time dream of social media and how it could (should?) be used no longer exists, if in fact it ever existed in the first place. Everything we have come to learn about the connected, online world, from hacking to identity theft, to privacy issues, to Governmental actions, all nerf the point of being a part of a social media platform — any social media platform.

As I apply for jobs, often I see employers engaging in outreach through some or all of the major SMPs. I think it's just folks working for those companies thinking this is the latest trend. However, what it also demonstrates is what professionals in labor, in psychology, and other disciplines have written about as a warning that we're going down a path of no longer separating private, personal life from work life. I don't, frankly, want my employer — or any other employer — knowing what I do, what I think, where I've been, or anything else. I'm their employee, not their minor child.

The closest thing I have to a social media account is a LinkedIn profile. It's a profile which, at the moment, is pretty darned empty. I'm slowly in the process of setting it up with anything professional- or employment related. The ironic part is that LinkedIn is about links — links with others who can help you or be helped by you — but I no longer have anyone I can add. Either we've long since lost contact with each other or, honestly, a bunch of them have retired or died. If I wasn't trying to get back into the tech industry, I don't think I would even bother with it.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4825
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by AZgl1500 »

the biggest problem today is commercial media which is overblowing everything, and giving ideas to idiots, like in Seattle, WA today. nuff said on that one.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1212
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Social Media is Draining You

Post by MurphCID »

While the promise of social media was great, the reality of social media is horrific. The law of unintended consequences in full view.

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”