Chat about just about anything else
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Good reasons to always use ad-blockers

Post by ugly »

kelevra wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:42 am
My phone is starting to look like what Sorrento from the movie Ready Player One envisioned for the future userspace in the Oasis world.
There are websites that have embedded ads, persistent ads that follow the page as you scroll, roll-up ads along the left edge, and a full-width ad along the bottom edge with the tiniest x on one of the four corners to close it. I find if I close the ads they eventually reemerge with a new advertiser. I have gotten to the point that I just close the page and go somewhere else for the information, if it is important to me.
Vivaldi for Android has a built-in ad-blocker. It's not perfect, but it's a big help.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

151tom wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:43 pm
cliffcoggin wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:30 pm
I don't understand refusing to pay for television service. As a non-essential luxury TV should have a high price.
What's to not understand most TV these days is all crap.

For some folks that like sports and other mainstream type TV shows I guess it's worth it to them but not to me.

I enjoyed playing sports as a kid and in high school however watching them on TV boring as hell to me.
It depends where in the world you are, I assume it to be the USA. I too have a horribly expanding choice of crap but fortunately there are also the more esoteric programmes such as this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05t7kc1
a two programme of a journey along a canal with no music and no commentary; just the sounds of wildlife.
Cliff Coggin

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

on the USA DISH network, they have channel 199 dedicated to a Hawaiian beach Live Camera with sound.

yesterday, I saw a big crab crawling up out of the water and then it disappeared into the palm trees...
a nice background low level noise and totally devoid of any other distractions.

This is a 30 second video clip I just made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JjvEFj3lLA
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”