Rant about Firefox's usage of "link"

Chat about just about anything else
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Rant about Firefox's usage of "link"

Post by GS3 »

This has been bugging me since I started using FF years ago and it still bugs me. Yes, I am easily bugged and difficult to debug. I know.

FF calls (HTML) "link" what I have always called "target" and it calls "link location" what I call "link". In my opinion that goes against computer usage and against common usage of the language.

Two things are said to be linked when they are related or connected in some way and the relation or connection is the link.

The Firefox usage is confusing and really stupid and I can only imagine that they chose it just to be different from MS. As much as I dislike MS that is a really stupid reason to do something, especially if it goes against the most basic of English usage. It makes them look like immature children pretending to be independent and all grown up and individualistic.

I wish they would change it and go back to English-English instead of using their own brand of the language.

If cities A and B are linked by a railway, the cities are not links, they are destinations, and the railway is the link.

I wish I could change the text in the context menus in FF because it ticks me off every time I see it. Call it "destination" if you don't want to call it "target" but don't pervert the English language like that!
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Rant about Firefox's usage of "link"

Post by AZgl1500 »

I have always thought of it as a "Link" to a Destination, and I like it the way it is :P
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

MoreLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoreLinux »

It has nothing to do with cities or even cars.

Link is short for hyperlink, and is a reference to another page that you can follow. For more details follow this link

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

I think you are totally missing the point. Maybe I did not make myself clear in my OP. What you call "link" is not what FF calls "link", they call it "link location". In other words what you say and what Wikipedia says is in agreement with me and in disagreement with Firefox.

In common usage http://imgfz.com/i/feD2ZOs.jpeg is a link to a photo. For FF the photo is the link and this string of characters is the link location which is absurd.

As far as I know nobody but FF uses it like that.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Why did you post your rant here and not in the Firefox support forum?
After all what gets on your nerves is nothing, which is specific to Linux Mint, but something which Mozilla Firefox developers do.
So why not argue with them for not being able to use the English language properly?
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

karlchen wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:18 pm
Why did you post your rant here and not in the Firefox support forum?
After all what gets on your nerves is nothing, which is specific to Linux Mint, but something which Mozilla Firefox developers do.
So why not argue with them for not being able to use the English language properly?
Because I am not looking for an argument, just thought I would share in this forum.

Also because the reception my rant would get there is about the same reception a rant against Linux Mint would get in this forum and I would promptly be told to get lost.

These days I am posting in this forum because I am installing and maintaining several LM installations. If I were posting in some site dedicated to miniature poodles I would have posted it there in the Open Chat section.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I understand your rant. It is not about looking for a solution, it's just about getting it off your chest. This is "Open Chat" after all.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Here's a destination with your links. :wink:

Return to “Open chat”