AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Looking for used Cat 6 4G LTE module

Post by AZgl1500 »

Charlie wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 am
Here's some other guy with the 'exact' same problem and he is given the brush-off/workaround of "we cannot replicate your issue". Well I can!

https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/mc7 ... de/13908

Which doesn't alter the fact that I have been sold a malfunctioning unit, knowingly or not, and thus, in my view, entitles me at the very least to a partial refund.

It is defective equipment by definition.
it was exactly those type of problems that scared me away from the 'build it yourself" approach with that 7455 chip.
when I found the Netgear MR1100 branded as a AT&T or T-Mobile LTE modem, I decided to fork over the dough and get on with life.

in the end, it has now been close to a year since I got the MR1100 and I have "almost forgotten" the stiff price.
but, I was very lucky to find a used on one eBay for just under $200 plus shipping.
I have seen them since at eBay prices above $600 :shock: :shock: :?

today, they can be found around $390-$450 'buy it now'

most are up for bid though

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?se ... n=combined
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 pm
Charlie wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 am
Here's some other guy with the 'exact' same problem and he is given the brush-off/workaround of "we cannot replicate your issue". Well I can!

https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/mc7 ... de/13908

Which doesn't alter the fact that I have been sold a malfunctioning unit, knowingly or not, and thus, in my view, entitles me at the very least to a partial refund.

It is defective equipment by definition.
it was exactly those type of problems that scared me away from the 'build it yourself" approach with that 7455 chip.
when I found the Netgear MR1100 branded as a AT&T or T-Mobile LTE modem, I decided to fork over the dough and get on with life.

in the end, it has now been close to a year since I got the MR1100 and I have "almost forgotten" the stiff price.
but, I was very lucky to find a used on one eBay for just under $200 plus shipping.
I have seen them since at eBay prices above $600 :shock: :shock: :?

today, they can be found around $390-$450 'buy it now'

most are up for bid though

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?se ... n=combined
Yeah build it yourself has definite drawbacks that I did not appreciate initially, but you don't expect this kind of BS from a company like Sierra . If I manage to score the module with a refund it will help sweeten the deal significantly, and I don't see why that won't happen. I did the same thing with the router to be honest, scored a refund.

Business is a jungle and if you don't dot all of your I's and cross your T's then you can expect to be punished, and probably deservedly so when you put out equipment that is not A1.

I am glad you're happy with your choice. I might get one myself in a few years when they are significantly cheaper.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

happiness is when you can look in the rearview mirror and say 'oh well, at least it works"
I have the 1st LTE modem still yet, will keep it for a backup.
Netgear LB1120 Single channel.

Hauled that one all over the southeastern USA a year ago, and it never missed a beat.
Was very happy to have my "home internet" with me, no matter where we went.
traveled over 5,000 miles on that trip.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 pm
happiness is when you can look in the rearview mirror and say 'oh well, at least it works"
I have the 1st LTE modem still yet, will keep it for a backup.
Netgear LB1120 Single channel.

Hauled that one all over the southeastern USA a year ago, and it never missed a beat.
Was very happy to have my "home internet" with me, no matter where we went.
traveled over 5,000 miles on that trip.
I'd like to hit the road myself but am not a driver. That's one fantasy that may never become reality. Like the idea of freedom you know parking where you like, somewhere nice and just living. I think I am something of a Gypsy at heart. I don't enjoy being constrained.

Don't fence me in. A van would be great, a large high top LWB with solar panels on the roof and a wood/coal burning stove installed inside. Fill it with tech and a bunk and call it home. I'd really love to do that.

I am keeping my eye open for some kind of module to fit my router that will enable me to use 5G if and when it comes available to me here.

The MC7455 doesn't offer that but I don't want to go brand new so it needs to be used and likely imported from China. I'm not really sure if that possibility exists as yet though.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Charlie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 am

I'd like to hit the road myself but am not a driver. That's one fantasy that may never become reality. Like the idea of freedom you know parking where you like, somewhere nice and just living. I think I am something of a Gypsy at heart. I don't enjoy being constrained.

Don't fence me in. A van would be great, a large high top LWB with solar panels on the roof and a wood/coal burning stove installed inside. Fill it with tech and a bunk and call it home. I'd really love to do that.

I am keeping my eye open for some kind of module to fit my router that will enable me to use 5G if and when it comes available to me here.

The MC7455 doesn't offer that but I don't want to go brand new so it needs to be used and likely imported from China. I'm not really sure if that possibility exists as yet though.
If my daughter did not live with me, I think that I would probably live in the RV and move around depending on the climate.
our National Parks have summer jobs for Retirees who will help the tourists find their way around, assist the RV folks who don't know how to manage an RV trailer, blown fuses, water leaks, that sort of thing.

I'm handy with my hands and an old communications tech guy, so I could give a helping hand with folks trying to get a computer working on WiFi networks.... might be a lot of fun..... would have been more fun though if my wife were still living, that was our plan before she became ill and climbed the highway to heaven.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm
Charlie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 am

If my daughter did not live with me, I think that I would probably live in the RV and move around depending on the climate.
our National Parks have summer jobs for Retirees who will help the tourists find their way around, assist the RV folks who don't know how to manage an RV trailer, blown fuses, water leaks, that sort of thing.

I'm handy with my hands and an old communications tech guy, so I could give a helping hand with folks trying to get a computer working on WiFi networks.... might be a lot of fun..... would have been more fun though if my wife were still living, that was our plan before she became ill and climbed the highway to heaven.

Sounds idyllic. An RV is a bit on the high end of the spectrum for my taste. Great if you can afford it though. It's a shame you couldn't live the dream. A van is much more me. I don't need a lot of space.

You need a special category of licence to drive an RV right? You can drive a van up to a certain weight on an ordinary driving licence here or so I believe. Not an expert as I as I say I don't drive.

I think you need one in the US with it being so big. Everyone seems to drive there.

Nice work if you can get it though. All that freedom plus a wage can't be bad.

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

I'll say one thing for this router and MC7455 it has never disconnected not even briefly not so much as a stutter. I have read about others suffering signal loss. I can only put this down the low signal strength in their locale.

The software/firmware on the router appears unreliable and/or undependable at first sight but has also been stable, with no crashes or errors reported.

The only problem is with the MC7455 firmware not saving one specific command.

If I do end up making 4G my permanent solution, once the 4G signal improves in speed, I think I will use the 4G router as a modem and use my Netgear router connected to that as my access point.

That appears to be the best configuration. Though I have not tested this for speed.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Charlie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:14 am

Sounds idyllic. An RV is a bit on the high end of the spectrum for my taste. Great if you can afford it though. It's a shame you couldn't live the dream. A van is much more me. I don't need a lot of space.

You need a special category of licence to drive an RV right? You can drive a van up to a certain weight on an ordinary driving licence here or so I believe. Not an expert as I as I say I don't drive.

I think you need one in the US with it being so big. Everyone seems to drive there.

No, nothing special, just the average Automobile Driver license.
I could drive a Semi truck w/o needing to acquire a special license "as long as" the truck is Placarded "Private Vehicle Use Only, Not for Hire"

Here is the USA, if you don't have a driver's license, then you are forced to live/work in a Major Metro area where you can walk to work and back, or have close access to a Metro Bus route, or call up a Uber/Lyft service.

Move 5 miles out of the Metro area and everything changes fast, we go Rural in a hurry.
For instance, it is a mile to town for me and that only gets me a small Convenience store that sells gasoline and Snacks.
It is 15 miles to the nearest town of any size that has grocery stores and the sub-mini malls with other stores on site.

Go in the other 3 directions and it is 45 miles to a town of significant size to have most of what makes life nice.

I have a 20 year old Chevrolet Suburban which can take me anywhere I need to go, it tows my 26 ft RV quite nicely.

Most of my purchases I do online and let FedEx or UPS or USPS deliver it to my door.

here is my RV hooked up to my 20 yr old truck, the RV is a "Toy Hauler", meaning the rear 8 feet is a mini-garage with fold down ramp, I carry my small motor scooter in there. The space above the garage contains a Full Size bed and wall cabinets.

Hooked up to Suburban-Snipped-600.jpg

My scooter in the garage
MP3 in toy hauler 400x700.jpg
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Charlie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:35 pm
I'll say one thing for this router and MC7455 it has never disconnected not even briefly not so much as a stutter. I have read about others suffering signal loss. I can only put this down the low signal strength in their locale.

The software/firmware on the router appears unreliable and/or undependable at first sight but has also been stable, with no crashes or errors reported.

If I do end up making 4G my permanent solution, once the 4G signal improves in speed, I think I will use the 4G router as a modem and use my Netgear router connected to that as my access point.

That appears to be the best configuration. Though I have not tested this for speed.
I went over to visit a friend today, who has the home built LTE modem with the MC7455 chip on it.
He hasn't got it up and going yet, but is going to call me when it is done and working.
He currently has a problem with the Simcard to AT&T, for some reason it has been un-registered and he is out of service along with a few other people in my area.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:10 pm
Charlie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:14 am

No, nothing special, just the average Automobile Driver license.
I could drive a Semi truck w/o needing to acquire a special license "as long as" the truck is Placarded "Private Vehicle Use Only, Not for Hire"

Here is the USA, if you don't have a driver's license, then you are forced to live/work in a Major Metro area where you can walk to work and back, or have close access to a Metro Bus route, or call up a Uber/Lyft service.

Move 5 miles out of the Metro area and everything changes fast, we go Rural in a hurry.
For instance, it is a mile to town for me and that only gets me a small Convenience store that sells gasoline and Snacks.
It is 15 miles to the nearest town of any size that has grocery stores and the sub-mini malls with other stores on site.

Go in the other 3 directions and it is 45 miles to a town of significant size to have most of what makes life nice.

I have a 20 year old Chevrolet Suburban which can take me anywhere I need to go, it tows my 26 ft RV quite nicely.

Most of my purchases I do online and let FedEx or UPS or USPS deliver it to my door.

here is my RV hooked up to my 20 yr old truck, the RV is a "Toy Hauler", meaning the rear 8 feet is a mini-garage with fold down ramp, I carry my small motor scooter in there. The space above the garage contains a Full Size bed and wall cabinets.

Hooked up to Suburban-Snipped-600.jpg

My scooter in the garage

MP3 in toy hauler 400x700.jpg
I thought you meant an RV that you drive like the one on "Breaking Bad" which to my mind is similar to driving a bus. I have no idea about towing regulations here or whether you need a licence to do that. I would be surprised if you were allowed to tow something of that size in the UK without some sort of enhanced licence, but I could be wrong.

It is amazing, huge. You do like your home comforts when travelling don't you, a garage, seriously.

And here's me dreaming about a van, ha ha.

One licence and you can drive anything, that's hard to believe. But I will take your word for it.

I just can't comprehend that amount of space. I use the bus or get a taxi whenever I go anywhere and local shops are within a five minute walk. I have a doctors surgery 2 minutes away and there was a dentist too. Dentist closed down though.

I use online delivery a lot too as I detest shopping. I live alone so there's no-one to fetch and carry for me. Online shopping is a life saver.

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:14 pm
Charlie wrote:

I went over to visit a friend today, who has the home built LTE modem with the MC7455 chip on it.
He hasn't got it up and going yet, but is going to call me when it is done and working.
He currently has a problem with the Simcard to AT&T, for some reason it has been un-registered and he is out of service along with a few other people in my area.
It will be interesting to read about his experience. But it looks like he's S.O.L at the moment.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Charlie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Charlie wrote:

It will be interesting to read about his experience. But it looks like he's S.O.L at the moment.
He gave up waiting for the provider to get his Simcard fixed.
Went to a Dollar General store and bought one of those "Tracfone" simcards, then he called up a guy he found on eBay and gave that guy the Simcard's serial number, and the IMEI of the Mofi LTE modem.
5 minutes later, he is back on the internet.
TruTone simcard.jpg
TruTone simcard.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:44 am
Charlie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:

He gave up waiting for the provider to get his Simcard fixed.
Went to a Dollar General store and bought one of those "Tracfone" simcards, then he called up a guy he found on eBay and gave that guy the Simcard's serial number, and the IMEI of the Mofi LTE modem.
5 minutes later, he is back on the internet.

TruTone simcard.jpg
The MOFI is the same hardware but the firmware is much better and closed source. It is also a hell of a lot more expensive. Never heard of that SIM provider.

https://mofinetwork.com/

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

Well it's not currently looking too good for a refund. Seller has refused to comply but said one word "sorry". From my perspective it's not good enough but it all depends on how it is seen by the individual reviewing the case. I've had them rant and rave, admit fault immediately, and everything in-between during the years that I have used the store.

Of course I hope I win but at this point I wouldn't lay any bets on it. I give it a 60-40 chance of rejection. But you never know, stranger things have happened.

As the seller has dragged this out instead of compromising I have also upped the amount of refund that I require. Time is money.

If you're going to lose, lose big.

Charlie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Charlie »

Reviewers only understand physical damage. Like talking to a brick wall. Pointless exercise.

Return to “Open chat”