On landlines where I have to first dial 9 to get dialtone, "*67" (to hide my number) doesn't work.

Chat about just about anything else
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

On landlines where I have to first dial 9 to get dialtone, "*67" (to hide my number) doesn't work.

Post by pepperminty »

On a regular landline phone, I can hide my phone number from showing up, by first dialing *67.

But on some landline phones, on those phones where I have to first dial 9 to get an "outside line", adding *67 doesn't do anything. How then can I keep my phone number from showing up on the other person's caller ID screen?
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Re: On landlines where I have to first dial 9 to get dialtone, "*67" (to hide my number) doesn't work.

Post by Portreve »

pepperminty wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:22 pm
On a regular landline phone, I can hide my phone number from showing up, by first dialing *67.

But on some landline phones, on those phones where I have to first dial 9 to get an "outside line", adding *67 doesn't do anything. How then can I keep my phone number from showing up on the other person's caller ID screen?
You're dialing out through a PBX. It's quite possible the PBX system traps for star codes. You might want to see if you can find out what specific PBX system is in use, and then research further to see how to block outgoing Caller ID.

EDIT: Bear in mind that in the U.S. (which is where I'm assuming you are) the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) Network is best described as a patchwork quilt of lots of different variations and iterations and generations of equipment, and it's not at all uncommon to find that the Central Office or one of its substations uses equipment which doesn't support Caller ID, or Caller ID Blocking, or Number Forwarding, or who knows what. I've personally experienced these issues.

One advantage that the modern cellular network has is it's pretty consistent where technology is concerned, certainly way more so than POTS ever is/was.
Your humble Portreve.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
AZgl1500
Level 15
Level 15
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: On landlines where I have to first dial 9 to get dialtone, "*67" (to hide my number) doesn't work.

Post by AZgl1500 »

pepperminty wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:22 pm

I used to be a govt employee.

we were given a Code Prefix that would hide the ph# and Extension.
w/o the code, all they got at the other end, was the Main PBX number for the entire city.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”