Is this an actual 'art style', and if so what is it known as?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Is this an actual 'art style', and if so what is it known as?

Post by ZakGordon »

http://graphicdesignjunction.com/2018/0 ... tutorials/

I've been trying to search some examples of 80's cover art from game/computer/graphic novels from my youth, and in general i'm just not sure what to call the art style to help my search results.

I sort of call it '80's chroma style' and i guess it is most famous in text from that period, but was wondering if it has an 'official' description/designation that is used in the art world in general?

I've attached a small example that i made earlier today, my first attempt (so room for improvement). I find the style very evocative and 'futuristic' even if it seems a throw-back to the 80's these days ;)
Attachments
Retro.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is this an actual 'art style', and if so what is it known as?

Post by xenopeek »

When I do a reverse image search on your image (I'm using
Search by Image Firefox add-on) it turns up similar looking images with many labeled as: 80's retro text

If I then search for "80's retro text" there's a whole bunch of images of text looking similar to yours, and links to text effect plugins for photoshop, online generators and guides and whatnot. Adding a keyword like gimp or inkscape to the search also shows up results for the tools we have.

Anyway, I don't know of a better name either. Cool looking text though :) Reminds me of the demoscene back in those days.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I've still not been able to find a defined style for this era/type of art. Mostly it was used in sci-fi settings (and obviously text/logo's from the same time period), and it was everywhere; on books, comics, graphic novels and computer games :) Stuff like this (to differentiate from text like we discussed and i posted an example off):
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Not every "style" necessarily has a name. To my eyes, it looks kind of 80s/90s, and without a doubt you can go to a decent library and/or a book store which sells an assortment of books with covers of that general design aesthetic. Potentially, you might see if it's possible to research the behind-the-scenes to try and find more information about the style, or at least the artist(s) who did the book(s).

Photoshop CS 1/2/3/4 all had settings established which one could use to produce that sort of effect. There's probably a web page and/or a YouTube video guide to doing the same thing in GIMP.

Oh, incidentally, Inkscape has a marvelous function in it where you can take line art and autotrace it to produce a vector-based version.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ZakGordon wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:35 pmStuff like this (to differentiate from text like we discussed and i posted an example off):
That's a work by Chris Moore. He has more illustrations like that on http://www.chrismooreillustration.co.uk/. He just calls it SF/sci-fi/science fiction art I think :)

He's also in the book https://www.powerhousebooks.com/books/t ... t-of-omni/ with other SF illustrators from that era.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Neon chrome?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I just call it Malls Balls, as do most South Australians
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

JerryF wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:05 pm Neon chrome?
I've settled on '80's Chrome' in general now:

https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=80%27s+Chrome+logos

Mostly hits the right mark, but considering it was so huge back then, like pretty much everything being made (from films to games to cover art and posters), it is weird to see it not 'artistically' defined.

Return to “Open Chat”