"OK Karen"

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Re: "OK Karen"

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:26 pm Now the Karen's of the world have come for the Lord of the Rings. Apparently because Tolkien was white, the Orcs represent People of Color (POC) or something like that. They are now "deconstructing" the Lord of the Rings. Groan, will this idiocy never stop?1 LEAVE MY TOLKIEN ALONE!!!!

Came across this youtube surfing on the TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-wYDD_A9I4
Gotta love the "Cancel Culture"...lol...NOT...Guess some folks have got nothing better to do with their time...DAMIEN
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

And it was only yesterday that I was sorting through all my books* that I came across my copy of LotR, all three volumes, school prizes from 1969, cherished!

* running of out space, other half has said I must dispose of, +500 titles, scifi/fantasy, anybody interested?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:43 am And it was only yesterday that I was sorting through all my books* that I came across my copy of LotR, all three volumes, school prizes from 1969, cherished!

* running of out space, other half has said I must dispose of, +500 titles, scifi/fantasy, anybody interested?
When I was in Berlin, we stopped at the British PX (NAAFI???) and they had a pristine set of LOTR books (this was 1985), and I almost purchased it, something I regret to this day.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

"Karen" is fairly specifically not a moral/social high horse though; although the term's been diluted through being used mostly/only by also utterly horrible people, what you are thinking of is the so-called "SJW". Karen is in fact more likely to be a racist; she's entitled and self-blinded...
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

All this LoTR chat – wonderful – as books*.

I re-read The Silmarillion about a year ago. Heavy going at times, but worth it.

* I did enjoy the films, but they’re just not as good as the books. Mind you, how do you film something like that?

Although leaving Tim Benzedrine and Hashberry – whoops, sorry - leaving Tom Bombadil and Goldberry out was a major failing, IMO.

Return to “Open Chat”