Worried about Security with your cellphone?

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Worried about Security with your cellphone?

Post by Portreve »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:31 pm
Portreve wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:12 pm
If people here are really concerned about privacy and security, they should be using Purism's Librem 5. No AOSP distro competes with it, and certainly no other maker's release does, either. It's a bit hard to take seriously people who are like, “Oh, I'm very concerned about my security but I'm still running Android.”

Just saying.
that phone, right now, is pure junk............

battery life is 2 hours??
My Samsung Note8 will give me 2 days of light use, about 14 hours of moderate use while roaming around town looking for addresses, occasional Facebook reading, etc.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/li ... mer-ready/
Oh... wow... I honestly didn't know it was in that kind of state. I assumed by now it functioned properly.

Clearly, at this time, Ubuntu Touch is the better choice for a straight GNU+Linux-based phone. At least it functions.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:15 pm
It may not be your intent, but you come across as someone more motivated by a hatred of all-things-Google than privacy itself. I'll take a wild stab and assume that's not your intended self-representation, but nevertheless that's the impression I get.
If I tilt my head and squint a little, I can see that, yeah. The thing is, some companies are the target of my specific distrust because they have their fingers in so many pies. And Google is the king of that. They get their data from a uniquely large variety of sources. Plus, they're under a foreign government, so not even the laws of my own country can protect me.
Yes, it's a trade-off in a sense that I allow Google to know of my physical whereabouts, about my physical movements, aspects of my personal health (I use a Samsung Galaxy Active2 smart watch), primarily work-related events in my life, etc., but I regard all that as being trivial.
I don't see health data as trivial at all. Think about insurance premiums... what if you got notified that your premiums will rise because you've been walking a lot less recently?
Thanks to constantly on-orbit surveillance satellites, I regard my movements and whereabouts as being already known by governmental actors, as well as AT&T, so I really do not give a 🚒 whether Google also knows about it in parallel.
I trust my own government somewhat. I do not trust yours at all. I trust companies less than I trust governments. For me, there's a difference.
it takes two to tango where communication security is concerned.
Yes, that's the old problem, isn't it. And I don't know of a universal solution. At least in some areas, we can make a few tentative dance moves and see if anyone joins in.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Heck, I don't trust any Government, especially my own right now!
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 pm
A significant difference between EU ones and the US one however is privacy-laws. Also think e.g. the GDPR that required a lot of US-based companies to adjust policies (or at least EULA's...) if they also targeted European citizens. The US provides companies generally with much more freedom to use/abuse personal data than EU countries do --- at least by law. Moem is as such pretty objectively correct in trusting her government more than yours concerning this specific matter.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

rene wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 pm
A significant difference between EU ones and the US one however is privacy-laws. Also think e.g. the GDPR that required a lot of US-based companies to adjust policies (or at least EULA's...) if they also targeted European citizens. The US provides companies generally with much more freedom to use/abuse personal data than EU countries do --- at least by law. Moem is as such pretty objectively correct in trusting her government more than yours concerning this specific matter.
I don't disagree, especially with the current administration.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

Y'all just build a great wall of privacy-laws and have Facebook pay for it. It's gonna be great...

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
This topic is NOT going to be about any specific government and especially not about any politicians. Basta.

Personal note:
Rene, I never expected you to be such a sweet talker. Do go on, tell me how pretty objectively correct I am. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

I don't do smartphones, and if I can't even talk about great walls here then I'm afraid I'm out of here again. Your own fault :)

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

No worries, I'll just print out your post in a very large font and frame it and hang it on my wall, and look at it whenever I'm feeling insecure! :lol:

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Moem:

Since you've taken the time to spell out at sufficient length a much more detailed self-representation, you and I, I believe I can say with confidence, are on the same page. I'll also agree that your government is certainly worthy of more respect and less distrust than mine. When it comes to companies, I "trust" them not at all, certainly not at least in the collective sense. I may extend trust to a specific company, but then that's the same as individuals: either you demonstrate worthiness of being trusted, or you don't.

In 1964, then-private-citizen Ronald Reagan gave an address in which he famously said “Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem.” It is my opinion that elements of our society have glommed onto that and have made great efforts, whether in a coordinated manner or not, to take that and move it from being a description to becoming an ideology. There exists a significant segment of the U.S. population which believes privatization is some kind of omnibus solution. I don't agree with and I do not stand with them because I don't feel, based on decades of observation and experience, that Corporate America can be trusted.

All that said, I need to be able to function, and there eventually comes a point where "unplugging" is neither an omnibus solution nor a very good one, either.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

It's a given that corporations basically tell governments what to do at this point. In the US for example the lobbyists are applying for bail out money and part of their argument is that the government needs them to help write the laws ! So with that in mind I am amazed to see that so many people are taking what their respective leaders are telling them at face value regarding the current plandemic for example, especially when you broaden your outlook and notice that all are reading from the same hymn sheet.
Back on topic , I think it's fair to say that any Android or Aple user should not believe that they have secure systems if mandatory tracking apps can(and soon will) be installed.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

rene wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:42 pm
I don't do smartphones...
Me either.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

Return to “Open chat”