What about Opera's new and free VPN service? Too good to be true?

Chat about just about anything else
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

What about Opera's new and free VPN service? Too good to be true?

Post by carum carvi »

I got excited about Opera's new browser which offered unlimited VPN service. Wow. And that with only one click in your browser. For free. To good to be true?

What I have read is that Opera's VPN is not a true VPN service, but a proxy. I am not technically inclined, that's the reason why I post this question on this forum: is it too good to be true? And is the information below correct?

An additional link to a review that made me question how truly effective this free VPN service is? https://proprivacy.com/privacy-service/review/operavpn

The most important quote from the review link above:
OperaVPN is proxy, not a VPN service. Connections are secured using HTTPS, the encryption scheme which protects sensitive websites, making OperaVPN an HTTPS proxy. Because it is based on Chromium, the Opera browser supports TLS 1.3. This is the latest version of the protocol, and it is reasonable to assume that the VPN also uses TLS 1.3.
fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What about Opera's new and free VPN service? Too good to be true?

Post by fstjohn »

Here's a pretty good review of the Opera Free VPN. All depends on what you're looking for in a VPN. From the review, looks like it'd be pretty good to protect you in a coffee shop or airport to access your bank or webmail but it only protects the Opera browser, not other things (like Thunderbird) and there's no smartphone version.
https://tech.co/vpn/opera-vpn-review
Vladimir00
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Vladimir00 »

I like opera vpn. If you need real privacy it is better not to use vpn. Tor browser best privacy tool.Unfortunately some sites not friendly for tor users.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

It's only one review site, but it doesn't get a good score at all on here: https://thebestvpn.com/#reviews

Click on the Opera VPN link in that table for more info.
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

fstjohn wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:55 pm
From the review, looks like it'd be pretty good to protect you in a coffee shop or airport to access your bank or webmail but it only protects the Opera browser, not other things (like Thunderbird) and there's no smartphone version.
Suppose I am in a coffee shop or airport and my laptop establishes a secure, https, connection with my bank. It is secure and cannot be decrypted by anyone even if the WIFI itself is open. That's the whole idea of a secure connection: someone can have access to all the transmission and yet not be able to decrypt it.

Now you insert a proxy/middleman. I cannot see how it helps and can see how it could hurt.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

^^ What he said. And note that in Opera's case said middleman is owned by a Chinese consortium.
Vladimir00
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Vladimir00 »

If you are not in China.It does not matter :lol:
Wiggler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wiggler »

I don't trust Opera. It's proprietary and was sold for a Chinese company called Qihoo.

I wouldn't use any Qihoo 360 programs, since they got blacklisted from the three major Antivirus testing labs for using deceptive methods in their products to increase their efficiency during benchmark tests.

So, imagine what's happens while you use Opera browser operated by the same company.

When something is free and it's not open source, it's possible that you're the money... :?
Vladimir00
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Vladimir00 »

Maybe Opera far from perfect browser.But I like.Sometimes it's better to drop paranoia :D
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:10 pm
Maybe Opera far from perfect browser.But I like.Sometimes it's better to drop paranoia :D
No, it is never better to drop the paranoia.

You never increase your security by using a proxy. On the contrary, you decrease it. Like everything, you can contrive an exceptional case where it might make sense but it would be very much an exception.

So why would you share your privacy with a proxy when there is no good reason to do it? It just adds one more level of insecurity.

And the fact that they are Chinese makes no difference unless you are their target. I do not understand why anyone would think it is better to be spied upon by the American government than by the Chinese government. If you are Chinese living in China then yes because they can use that information. The government to need to be wary of is the one you live under. Mostly we live under the government of Google and their subsidiaries.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

The way in which it makes a definite difference is that not everyone lives in either China or the USA. As far as e.g. piracy is concerned ISPs where I live do not in fact, and for example, write or relay piracy cease & desists. Or not "for example" of course, since piracy is what VPNs are overwhelmingly used for there where ISPs do. And that's then also the sense in which they do in fact "increase your security" if you pirate there -- and that's hardly an exceptional case.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Like @rene I also don't live in a country where the ISPs send out cease and desist letters for perceived piracy actions. I look at all the websites that say you must use a VPN to avoid this and I chuckle quietly to myself and mutter about "crazy Americans, they think they're the only country in the world". There's no way I'd pipe all my internet traffic through some third-party that I have no control over. This isn't a dig at Opera, it's a comment on all VPNs.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

murray wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:08 pm
This isn't a dig at Opera, it's a comment on all VPNs.
Opera's VPN is not a true VPN service, but a proxy. We are not talking about a VPN, we are talking about a proxy. It adds no security and adds vulnerability.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Opera's free VPN service comes in handy for me from time to time, for certain use cases. I only use Opera for these specific use cases. Just like I use Chrome for certain purposes only.

Firefox is my main web browser, mainly because of its unparalleled tweakability. But I always install both Opera and Chrome as well.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I haven't touched Opera since Jesus was a baby.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Return to “Open chat”