[SOLVED] Dropping my Apple iPhone

Chat about just about anything else
Ragz
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Dropping my Apple iPhone

Post by Ragz »

After 15 years with the Apple iPhone and the "merger" of Apple and Google regarding "Contact Tracing" I will cut ties with Apple and being a Senior citizen make the jump to Jitterbug which is a phone service for seniors. It uses Verizon instead of AT&T and the cost is the same but I will not have a smartphone. It's a dumbphone which simply allows only phone calls and texting.
Last edited by Ragz on Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64 bit

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Dropping my Apple iPhone

Post by Bobb24 »

People are willing to put up with a lot of intrusion but eventually they are driven to the edge. Congratulations .
I laugh when I watch the phone commercials , they all point out how good the camera is on these new phones , every new phone has more pixels. That is the main selling feature. When did we all get so interested in photography ? I've had a few cell phones and came to realize that some have better reception than others and I realized that if a phone can't get reception then who cares about the pixels on the camera ?

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Bobb24 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm
People are willing to put up with a lot of intrusion but eventually they are driven to the edge. Congratulations .
I laugh when I watch the phone commercials , they all point out how good the camera is on these new phones , every new phone has more pixels. That is the main selling feature. When did we all get so interested in photography ? I've had a few cell phones and came to realize that some have better reception than others and I realized that if a phone can't get reception then who cares about the pixels on the camera ?
Agreed! I did find a use for all those pictures on the phone the other day. At my wife's funeral. We arrived and I'd forgotten to bring the slideshow that I had created. (the Church was 60km from home). So all the kids combined all their photos of mum on their phones and sent them to our AV tech who made a show on the spot.

The only time I use the camera on my phone is when shopping for hardware and I want to remember what I want to get at a later date. I take a photo of the item and price.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

tweetybird wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:40 am
After 15 years with the Apple iPhone and the "merger" of Apple and Google regarding "Contact Tracing" I will cut ties with Apple and being a Senior citizen make the jump to Jitterbug which is a phone service for seniors. It uses Verizon instead of AT&T and the cost is the same but I will not have a smartphone. It's a dumbphone which simply allows only phone calls and texting.
This is a public health and safety issue, not a civil liberties issue, just like with wearing face masks, not congregating, etc. Sheesh.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Ragz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ragz »

Portreve wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:07 pm
tweetybird wrote:
This is a public health and safety issue, not a civil liberties issue, just like with wearing face masks, not congregating, etc. Sheesh.
Totally disagree. Smartphones are tracking devices. Not open source. “They” can install software on these devices one is not aware of. Complacency is prevalent. OUR right to say “Not on MY phone” has been taken from us. It will not end and that is my point.
Last edited by Ragz on Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Well, Android is based on OSS (Linux, ofcourse), but with Google involved it is all about tracking and serving up advertising. I wrote up a tutorial a few years ago here on how to de-google your Android device if you are interested in keeping a smart phone. I love the freedom of using custom ROMs and nothing but OSS on my phones, but it's not for everyone and there is a learning curve. Might be more trouble than it's worth, but that is the game.

Kirara
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kirara »

tweetybird wrote:
Good call on this.
I actually wasn't aware about what you were writing until today when I saw our local IT department's notice on a patch they just rolled out to fix a security issue.

I then read through the summary of the iOS-update and thought to myself: wow, I guess not many people actually realize what happens just now.

It doesn't matter to me as I hardly carry my (dump)phone with me anyway.
But there are relatives and friends who have no idea.
Along with other developments, the progress has gone so far in such a short time, it's incredible to say at least.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tweetybird wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm
Smartphones are tracking devices. Not open source.
Have you looked at Ubuntu Touch? It sounds like it might fit your wishes. I'm trying it out over the recent days, and liking what I'm seeing so far.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Ragz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ragz »

Moem wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:44 am
tweetybird wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm
Smartphones are tracking devices. Not open source.
Have you looked at Ubuntu Touch? It sounds like it might fit your wishes. I'm trying it out over the recent days, and liking what I'm seeing so far.
Do you use the typical cellular e.g. AT&T, Verizon?
Any connection issues?

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Bobb24 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 am
2 in depth videos on contact tracing
For the naive among the forum readership, the James Corbett of said "report" is he: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/James_Corbett. I.e., a literal raving lunatic.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tweetybird wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:59 am
Any connection issues?
Those aren't typical here. :wink: But I can't answer your question anyway, because I haven't tried it with a SIM yet. Just on WiFi.
The thread about my experiences is here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=320295

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Ragz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ragz »

Moem wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm
tweetybird wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:59 am
Any connection issues?
Those aren't typical here. :wink: But I can't answer your question anyway, because I haven't tried it with a SIM yet. Just on WiFi.
The thread about my experiences is here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=320295
Will certainly look into that. Happy you chimed in with that piece!

Ragz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ragz »

rene wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:07 pm
Bobb24 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 am
2 in depth videos on contact tracing
For the naive among the forum readership, the James Corbett of said "report" is he: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/James_Corbett. I.e., a literal raving lunatic.
I'll pass. I am not a conspiracy buff. Grassy knoll, 911, The USA never landed on the moon, etc. To bring things back to my original post, simply saying keep the nefarious data off my phone without my permission.
Last edited by Ragz on Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

Rational Wiki ? About a paragraph of smear , that's about it. I checked your link , why don't you check mine as they are relevent to the thread.
I suppose I should reference their site for information about any author of any article I may wish to read beforehand to see if they approve or disapprove. I no longer need to use my own judgement.This would save me much time., thank you.

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

tweetybird wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Sounds like it. I'll pass listening to James_Corbett!
Very good. Also though, in the context of both his misconceptions and your initial post, note that contact-tracing works via Bluetooth, i.e., not GPS, and is as such extremely range-limited for one. What it does is register phones that have been in close proximity to one's own phone and what Google and Apple are designing is explicitly keeping that registration de-central. I.e., by design one's own phone has the list of of phones its been in close proximity to; downloads only a list of "infected phones" from a central server and checks its local list against said list, informs you when an overlap exists.

Said central list of "infected phones" is constructed by people that have installed the app in the first place, and who upon positive diagnosis in fact tell the app they were so diagnosed. I.e., it's all very opt-in, is very much not about "tracking your every move" (i.e., that Corbett clown) and moreover, Google and Apple are doing very much the right thing here. The UK for example jumped the gun and rolled out their own system/test but with central ID gathering. It's those kinds of initiatives one needs to be weary of, not that which Google and Apple are jointly aiming for.

Yes, the methodology is of course enforceable only as an open source app, and although I obviously don't know any and all specific programs, open-source is what it is for that very reason in many countries. And yes, you can be sure that there are many, many eyeballs on that code.

Personally I don't use smartphones in the first place, am fairly privacy-conscious generally, and would probably not install any such app even if I were a smartphone user --- but the specific reason you cite, cooperation between Google and Apple, is technically not a good one...

Also see e.g. https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/2121 ... etails-use and https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/5/21248 ... ple-google
Last edited by rene on Wed May 27, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Bobb24 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm
why don't you check mine as they are relevent to the thread.
No Bobb, they are not relevant, being knowledge-deprived rantings of technically incompetent, clinically paranoid utter fools. Or well, the first is; I'm not even going to click the second. The world is full of lunatics --- and that's actually been the manner in which this pandemic has affected me personally the most I can easily say: the realisation how near utter ignorance and mental disorder in fact is in our societies.

Or well, "further realisation". I'll admit I already wasn't overly keen on that particular aspect of life. In any case: you'd be better of with those above Verge links.

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

I read the 2 links you provided and they did mention both countries were going initially with their own apps and this was raising privacy concerns . And Apple and Android are still "sketchy " on many of the details as the articles stated. Regardless though these apps won't just communicate to each other''s phones and leave the onus on individuals to report. The health authorities will get the information from that centralized database to enable them to use their contract tracers ( trained individuals ) to follow up on people and possibly quarantine them. Contract tracing apps are uselss if they do not report your interactions to health authorities. THis is mainstream news already. Some US governors are already asking people to not be hesitant to answer their phone with an unfamiliar number as it could be a contract tracer following up.
As for the world being full of lunatics , I feel the same way . I see people running and riding their bikes and walking in very sparsely inhabited places wearing masks. How easy people are to be brainwashed by lunatics

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Bobb24 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 pm
The health authorities will get the information from that centralized database to enable them to use their contract tracers ( trained individuals ) to follow up on people and possibly quarantine them.
Of course they will. As said, through people opting in to exactly that by using the app in the first place, and reporting their infecfed state post-diagnosis to it in the second. I.e., through them requesting said follow-ups or, better, by them wanting to protect others they've been in contact with.

I am as mentioned personally not socially responsible enough to be likely to do so given even minor privacy concerns but "contributions" such as that Corbett video still rub me in very, very wrong ways.

Good, short read from Apple: https://covid19-static.cdn-apple.com/ap ... AQv1.1.pdf

Their contact-tracing page itself: https://www.apple.com/covid19/contacttracing

Ragz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ragz »

rene wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:07 pm
tweetybird wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Sounds like it. I'll pass listening to James_Corbett!
Very good. Also though, in the context of both his misconceptions and your initial post, note that contact-tracing works via Bluetooth, i.e., not GPS, and is as such extremely range-limited for one. What it does is register phones that have been in close proximity to one's own phone and what Google and Apple are designing is explicitly keeping that registration de-central. I.e., by design one's own phone has the list of of phones its been in close proximity to; downloads only a list of "infected phones" from a central server and checks its local list against said list, informs you when an overlap exists.

Said central list of "infected phones" is constructed by people that have installed the app in the first place, and who upon positive diagnosis in fact tell the app they were so diagnosed. I.e., it's all very opt-in, is very much not about "tracking your every move" (i.e., that Corbett clown) and moreover, Google and Apple are doing very much the right thing here. The UK for example jumped the gun and rolled out their own system/test but with central ID gathering. It's those kinds of initiatives one needs to be weary of, not that which Google and Apple are jointly aiming for.

Yes, the methodology is of course enforceable only as an open source app, and although I obviously don't know any and all specific programs, open-source is what it is for that very reason in many countries. And yes, you can be sure that there are many, many eyeballs on that code.

Personally I don't use smartphones in the first place, am fairly privacy-conscious generally, and would probably not install any such app even if I were a smartphone user --- but the specific reason you cite, cooperation between Google and Apple, is technically not a good one...

Also see e.g. https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/2121 ... etails-use and https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/5/21248 ... ple-google
And you know this how? Please provide official documentation backing this up. If so I stand corrected.
Surely not the links you provided!

That's my point. The register of phones! Obviously you do not see the danger with this.
Last edited by Ragz on Wed May 27, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Open chat”