Which particular add on you cant live without?

Chat about just about anything else
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Ublock origin.

Ublock origin is the one and only addon I truly cant live without. I am not really interested in privacy or such, since I guess that is a lost battle anyway, but I only use this Ublock Origin addon for doing what it should do: banning adds and in doing so providing me with an uncluttered, add free experience.

But Ublock can do more. It also has lists to ban "Annoyances". I simply select ALL the lists available.

I regularly keep reading posts about other people's use of addons and I am always interested to hear about what is being used effectively. So what particular addon(s) do you use and which particular addon is the one you cant live without?

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which particular add on you cant live without?

Post by ugly »

A good web browser should have built-in features. So, a good web browser should have very little need for extensions. Extensions should be limited to niche use cases.

Ad blockers used to be essential add ons. But more browsers are making built-in ad blockers.

One extension I still like is: Redirect AMP to HTML

Posting an AMP link should be considered a crime against humanity.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Tab Groups. It's essential to my workflow and why I switched to Waterfox post-quantum.

Different groups for different browsing categories; Linux Mint, Arch & Manjaro, Linux General, Trading, Programming & Scripting etc.. Makes perfect sense for me but Mozilla decided otherwise.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

ugly wrote:
A good web browser should have built-in features. So, a good web browser should have very little need for extensions. Extensions should be limited to niche use cases.
I disagree. A lot of what would be built-in would be considered bloat by many users who don't need or want it. Using extensions solves that.

To answer the OP's question, uBlock Origin.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

With my Slimjet browser with Startpage search engine, i shut off Slimjets add blocker, and instead, use DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials addon as well as ublock Origin and ublock Origin Extra, as well as Privacy Possum...for me at least, they run beautifully and play well with each other...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Not a matter of life and death, but I like the FF add-on Dark Reader.
Perfect for anti eye fatigue, especially at night. You can set different looks for each website.
Here are examples for how it can change the look of the forum:
dark reader1.png
dark2.png
dark3.png
It's especially cool in combination with Redshift.
Perfect for those griping about the Mint green on the forum
libera ab tyrannis

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

We also use UBlock Origin, but probably the one I can't live without is LastPass. I just cannot remember all those unique passwords one needs to navigate the web these days, so a password manager is a must for me. I'm not saying LastPass is the best, it's just the one I've been using for years, and it's easy to install it on all the different devices I use day-in and day-out.

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

(for Chrome)

Autoplay Stopper, AdGuard AdBlocker, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-40-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290/390 w/4GB RAM

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Actually, on thinking about it, I find that I am using a few add ons that I would rather not live without, uBlock, I have already mentioned.
youTube Downloader for those YT feeds that I want to keep. Group Speed Dial because FF default is not to my taste.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

Schultz wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm
ugly wrote:
I disagree. A lot of what would be built-in would be considered bloat by many users who don't need or want it. Using extensions solves that.

To answer the OP's question, uBlock Origin.
I consider 'bloat' to be one of the big bullshit terms that people throw around. It's such a misused term that the word basically carries no weight. Yes, if some feature or program is actively stealing resources, or actively gets in the way of the user experience then that might be considered bloat. But usually when people complain about bloat, they just mean that it's a feature they don't use and for some reason they think it shouldn't be there.

One person's bloat is another person's treasured feature. Instead of complaining about features, users should try to see why the developer thought that the feature was important enough to include in the program.

Just reading these Linux Mint forums you often see users complain about bloat because some software they don't use is pre-installed in Linux Mint. Therre a lots of programs pre-installed that I don't use, but it doesn't steal resources and slow the operating system down.

Not all extensions are bad. But you have to be able to trust the source of the extension. You have to trust the they are competent because if the extension is poorly designed, it will have the very effect of bloat that people complain about. And you have to trust that the extension isn't actually malicious. Because there are many malicious browser extensions: https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-re ... web-store/

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Just one: Automatic Beer Glass Refiller
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

Portreve wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:16 pm
Just one: Automatic Beer Glass Refiller
Used to have 3 of those...until they turned 18! :lol:
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-40-generic

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:27 pm
The beer glasses are no doubt still continuing to be refilled, but perhaps being re-emptied by the time they get to you? :P :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

BG405 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:40 pm
ajgringo619 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:27 pm
The beer glasses are no doubt still continuing to be refilled, but perhaps being re-emptied by the time they get to you? :P :lol:
Never got drunk enough not to be able to count the remaining bottles, except the one time where I exclaimed "I need to race like a pee horse!" Still haven't heard the end of that one!
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-40-generic

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:48 pm
Still haven't heard the end of that one!
It's the cringeworthy comments one sometimes comes out with when NOT drunk which are the most embarrassing. You can't blame it on the beer then .. :oops: :mrgreen:

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Speaking of cringeworthy comments. I was called around to a friends place to urgently fix her computer one night (she was preparing some legal stuff for work next day). Her hubby was out of town, hence the call. As I arrived, she was about to get into the shower, so I got to work and sorted it. I waited until she'd finished the shower and told her what happened. Her response was priceless, and we got a lot of mileage out of it over the years. "Oh, Leigh, if I wasn't wearing this towel, I'd kiss you!" :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

This thread is going WAY of topic, however interesting and funny it is to read these off topic comments. Please let's get back to the original post, which add-on you cant live without?

Gruppo Sportivo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Not being able to do without is expressed very strongly :wink:

But these Add-ons are worth mentioning

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

carum carvi wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:24 am
This thread is going WAY of topic
My apologies for that. N.B. Beer (or any drink) and computers are not a good combination!

I mentioned "Tab Groups" as being essential but also "Tab Utilities" is very useful, along with "Session Manager" and "Simple Night Mode for Quantum", the latter being quite effective without me having noticed any unreadable page elements (unlike with certain (older?) dark themes).

I also have Adblock Plus and (more recently added) uBlock Origin, not sure whether I can safely disable or remove the former having installed UO; need to familiarize myself with the settings.

Return to “Open chat”