help with bluetooth adapter install

Chat about just about anything else
dadsbad202
Level 1
Level 1

help with bluetooth adapter install

Post by dadsbad202 »

I'm new to Linux just set up Mint replacing windows 8 on my old desktop. So far all is working fine and a lot faster! I purchased a USB Wi-Fi Bluetooth plug in and when I go to Preferences then Bluetooth it says no Bluetooth adapters found. My Question is what is the next step to discover my adapter. also on the package it said was completable with Windows and Linux OS Thank you :)

bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Re: help with bluetooth adaptor install

Post by bartszu »

Your stick has to be Linux compatible.

kelevra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelevra »

Have you tried the manufacturer's website? What about the seller?
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

A quick bit of googling returned a number of interesting results, and this review web site was a top search result:

AddictiveTips.com: Best USB Bluetooth Adapters that are Linux-compatible

What research did you do before buying your hardware?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

kelevra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelevra »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:45 pm
A quick bit of googling returned a number of interesting results, and this review web site was a top search result:

Thanks Portreve, found just what I was looking for. I've been looking for one for some time now. Good price, and Linux compatible.

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

kelevra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelevra »

Just a follow up to my previous post. I received my BT dongle today and it worked right out of the box. The pairing process was painless and worked the first time. I am using it to hook up my Dewalt portable radio to my laptop for much improved audio output. No more cabling needed. :D Works great for data with my Android phone as well.
I used the guide provided but was unable to find an exact match for the product on amazon in my country. I did, however, find a product that was using the same chipset, CSR V4.0.
csrv4.jpg
csrv4.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

kelevra wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:33 pm
Just a follow up to my previous post. I received my BT dongle today and it worked right out of the box. The pairing process was painless and worked the first time. I am using it to hook up my Dewalt portable radio to my laptop for much improved audio output. No more cabling needed. :D Works great for data with my Android phone as well.
I used the guide provided but was unable to find an exact match for the product on amazon in my country. I did, however, find a product that was using the same chipset, CSR V4.0.

csrv4.jpg
That's wonderful news, kelevra! I'm glad you found something that works well. You have now aided the rest of us on here so that we now know that chipset-based adapter indeed works.

— Voltaire

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Re: help with bluetooth adapter install

Post by lexon »

I have bought three USB adapters for W10 and could not get them to work with the CD or download the Zip file. Sending one back this week for refund.I followed the instructions a few times but no joy. No one on Amazon would help. Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with Windows.
I do remember the last one said to look at the lower right of the PC screen, It said to touch the iPhone screen to pair. Did not work.
They work fine in my Lenovo Cinnamon laptop with no CD drive which I bought from Amazon pre-loaded with Mint.
All I look for is Bluetooth and enter my name and then look at my iPhone10 for same name and pair. I have Bluetooth hearing aids. Much better than ear buds.
Looks like the PC has to have Bluetooth in it. Not sure of that.
I have the ZEXMTE, ROCKETK, AND SENDING BACK THE TECHKEY. All from Amazon. All suppose to be for Linus as I recall.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

+Right now if I click on the lower right of my PC screen it says add a device. The software is still in the PC. It nver worked when the device was plugged into a good USB port and the W!) PC is up to date as is the iPhone 10.

L

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

lexon wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 pm
I have the ZEXMTE, ROCKETK, AND SENDING BACK THE TECHKEY. All from Amazon. All suppose to be for Linus as I recall.

L
Haha. I have the ZEXMTE myself and never noticed this bit when I ordered on Amazon:
High compatibility: support 32bit/64bit Win 10/8/7/ Vista and XP, enables PC or laptop to connect Bluetooth-enabled devices, like smartphones, Mouse, speakers, headsets. Not work with Mac OS, car stereo systems or TVs
Of course, it worked just fine with Linux.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

It's so painfully apparent that stuff is foreign made with pigeon English like that. Even looking at something as pedestrian as cell phone cases reveals it. It's pathetic.

What's even worse, though, is when it's native-born folk we're talking about. Yesterday, I was at a store I was auditing, and one of the staff there, who's a native of this country, couldn't even show me how tall five feet was. How does one graduate from school having no clue about units of measure? I've been places where I've asked what they would do if someone tried to pay for something using a two hundred dollar bill, and it was beyond their comprehension that one could know all the different denominations their country's currency comes in.

— Voltaire

kelevra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelevra »

lexon wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 pm
Looks like the PC has to have Bluetooth in it. Not sure of that.
Not true, my older laptop "without" Bluetooth works fine with the BT adapter I purchased. I used the recommendation below and found an adapter with a compatible chipset (CSR V4.0) and now have success.
Portreve wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Question for others.
I did not do any research. Both PC's had Bluetooth.
Amazon said the devices would work in Windows PC. NOT. Only Linux PC's.

L

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

lexon wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:47 pm
Question for others.
I did not do any research. Both PC's had Bluetooth.
Amazon said the devices would work in Windows PC. NOT. Only Linux PC's.

L
Did you try other USB ports? If you have them, make sure to try a USB2 port over a USB3 port.

kelevra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelevra »

lexon wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:47 pm
Both PC's had Bluetooth
If both PCs had Bluetooth, did you try disabling the onboard Bluetooth before inserting the USB adapter?

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”