Setting up email client (Thunderbird?)

Chat about just about anything else
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Setting up email client (Thunderbird?)

Post by GS3 »

I kind of subscribe to the notion that "there is no such thing as 'the cloud', there is only computers under my control and computers I do not control".

Since it came out with Windows 95 I have been using Outlook Express with POP3. Almost 25 years now and I have all my emails safely stored and backed up in my computer. I can search and retrieve without problem. Never had to worry than any email servers were disappearing. No problem for me as everything resided in my own computer. I have gone though quite a few email accounts of different providers who ended up closing shop or I closed my account or whatever. Still, I have all the emails readily available in my computer.

these days I work more and more on my LM machine and if I want to send an email I either (1) go send it from the Windows machine or (2) log into webmail with the browser. Both are somewhat inconvenient and I am thinking it might be good to set up Thunderbird and start using it slowly while I learn it. Maybe I will ease into it or maybe I won't like it and will abandon it, in any case it would be a slow transition.

I have at least half a dozen email accounts I hardly use so I could just set up Thunderbird with one of those accounts. Should be fairly easy. I have a Gmail account I do not use. I could start with that one.

Also, this setup would allow me to send email from one computer to another as they each have their email accounts.

But, here is what I am thinking: I could set it up with POP3 and use it pretty much like I have been doing until now, but maybe it is a good time to rethink and maybe use IMAP which I have never used.

It seems IMAP is the opposite of what I want in the sense that the emails are stored in the server, which is exactly what I do not want. I want them to be stored on my computer and this for two reasons: (1) I will never lose them and (2) generally my internet connection is pretty unreliable.

With Outlook Express I can just copy to another computer the folder where the emails are stored and I have an exact duplicate of everything. Works very well for me.

I would like to hear experiences, advice and opinions on this topic.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Setting up email client (Thunderbird?)

Post by cliffcoggin »

I sympathise as I too want absolute control of all my data and emails etc. so I have nothing in the cloud, except perhaps my head.

By far the most difficult, time consuming, and expensive part of my transition from Windows to Linux three years ago was the transition from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. Having little understanding of Windows, and even less of Linux, I struggled to set up my Thunderbird POP3 account, and utterly failed at importing several thousand emails. I ended up paying for commercial software that would do the job for me. (It was a Swiss company as far as I recall. I can look it up if you want.)

Importing the address book from OE to TB was also a struggle but I managed it eventually. In summary, you export the OE addresses as csv files onto a USB stick, and then import them into TB. The problem comes if you have commas, as I did, in many of the addresses which have to be manually edited before import to avoid displacement of, for example, Street names into City fields.
Cliff Coggin

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Thanks, that is why, before even thinking of importing anything, I am thinking of just setting up Thunderbird with a separate email account. That way I can practice and learn before taking the final plunge. Also, I like to have a certain amount of redundancy so that if my Outlook Express & Hotmail suddenly stop working I have something to fall back on. In fact, Outlook Express is on borrowed time already and the only reason it is still working for me is that I got some good help in this thread viewtopic.php?t=305780
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

It might be worth setting up TB in Windows as an intermediate step. If you can import OE emails into TB-in-Windows it might take care of the format change, which would make the later transition to TB-in-Linux easier. I would have tried it myself but it didn't occur to me.
Cliff Coggin

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

Are the emails on the web or on my machine? So I unplugged the internet cable, opened Thunderbird and there are the emails. I use it for an address I usually don't usually use or for those I don't really want them to know my usual address.

At work near 3 decades ago we used an email programme written in this country. Support stopped and most of us went to Thunderbird, a decade and a half ago. Outlook was unreliable and I know a few who had it stop working for no reason.

The other comment about addresses with commas needing removal. Could they have been put into LibreOffice Write and "Find & Replace" used. Put a comma in the first line and either leave the next line blank or a space or a stop. Hit "Replace All" (or Next" if you want to do them individually).

Then just copy & paste the result into the address book.

Gmail is "in the cloud" and it is handy if you often travel and take a different computer from the one use usually use.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi GS3,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You can import your outlook data into Thunderbird (TB) in Linux or MS Windows. There could be advantages of converting to TB in MS Windows first. Pretty sure you can setup TB to read outlook email accounts as well.

Moving Outlook .PST emails to Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux - Linuxsecrets
https://www.linuxsecrets.com/538-moving ... untu-linux

Ways to Import PST Files to Mozilla Thunderbird
https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blo ... underbird/

migrate outlook to thunderbird | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1182258

linux ubuntu thunderbird setup outlook - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei= ... ent=psy-ab

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

In the Thunderbird Help there is -
"To see whether your account uses IMAP or POP, check the Server Settings page in the Account Settings."
Yes, mine is set up as imap.
Also under Account Settings -
Synchronization and Storage - the box is ticked and saying "Keep all messages in all folders for this account on this computer"
Trash - you can set it so things go to the Trash Bin but don't leave your computer, again another setup option.

Return to “Open chat”