Setting up email client (Thunderbird?)

Chat about just about anything else
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Setting up email client (Thunderbird?)

Post by cliffcoggin »

GS3 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Another thing I really do not like about Thunderbird is the very poor handling and support of plain text email. I am used to easily choosing whether I want plain text or HTML but in Thunderbird plain text is a pain.

I am very discouraged with Thunderbird. I may keep playing with it for a while, probably changing over to POP3, and maybe I will get the hang of it but for now my main client will be my old trusty Outlook Express with POP3.
Persevere and I think you will be satisfied. I use only POP3 because I want complete control of my email, but it does mean I have to be fastidious about backups as email is essential to my business.
As for plain text, I have no problem with it. Plain text is all I use.
Cliff Coggin
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm
Persevere and I think you will be satisfied. I use only POP3 because I want complete control of my email, but it does mean I have to be fastidious about backups as email is essential to my business.
Up until now I only used POP3 with Outlook Express and I managed well so I might give Thunderbird another try with POP3. I do use several computers but I can configure OE to leave emails on the server when it downloads them. That way several computers can download the same emails. And when I send an email I can BCC myself and it will arrive on all computers. It may not be the best way but it has worked for me for many years.
cliffcoggin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm
As for plain text, I have no problem with it. Plain text is all I use.
With OE I can choose plain text as default but then choose HTML individually for each email if I wish. I do not see a way to do that in Thundebird.

Furthermore, in OE if I reply to an HTML email in plain text it will conserve the original text pretty well. In Thunderbird it creates a load of gibberish with links such as
> Ethernet Switch
> <h t t p://sgt.example.com/ls/click?upn=Po4PC1ryIfPspxt7uSGqLs3247tMqcrBiJueakOyJpyHXPki-2FMYK78SnuQsvc6Sx3xyEAmjRWilMzC6d0UDcpN6zDk4P2W78uV-2BzsPMLqX-2BGNZZZ1Ix63Sn20_PZn3vK33URgNqoy1wZTgynVCYAy-2BDVG-2BbGmumbxKR0w6DfqdD9DX7bUv-2BYJJ4hU8oMsf3GS8M2HOLzHYAY59LsBy3Bn47-2FZITkX3-2F6rsxaRQzIxDHQZHy-2FUoKmhqJVx6LOkQ-2FMJe1wpIvgnZxYK1pYzYgbLsRuAmSAE6ZLKbVH-2FD5ZCYVoLydlz6VNqtoiHRf92lY-2F1KCs0hC40IFiDqu4vaABw-2FOxkjnxR-2BHFVsN2lJmebipFd5m-2BiILu4dGMyROGjmrTXKzB-3D-3D>
>
which I need to clean up manually. A PITA. Outlook Express would just leave the text but not put the link there. If it was a graphic the graphic itself would also disappear.

OE also gives me several options to encode plain text (UUencode, MIME, quoted printable, Base 64, etc.). IIRC, using "Quoted Printable" avoids the line breaks issue.

It seems to me plain text definitely works better in Outlook Express in several ways.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Kirara wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:30 am
As for your question regarding plain text/HTML, I only was able to to find these:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1110272
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... html-temp/
I learned there that I can hold the shift key while clicking "write" and it will toggle and open the new email with HTML instead of plain text. A small step in the right direction. It also works when clicking "reply, etc. Good. The thing is that once you choose a format you are stuck with it.

In Outlook Express I change formats back and forth depending on what I want as I go along. I can start as plain text and then think I would want to highlight something in blue or whatever and I can change to HTML. Furthermore, in OE I can see the source code of the HTML and edit it which I find convenient and often do.

Also, I generally start an email with a shortcut/launcher on the desktop (command: thunderbird -compose) and the shift key trick does not work with that. Furthermore, I usually do not even click on the icon but have a hotkey combination (shift-alt-E) to launch it. So, I can be reading a web page and want to copy paste send a chunk of text to someone by email and I do not even have to close any window, I just hit shift-alt-e and a new email window pops up.

At this point I think I will be calling off the attempt to start using Thunderbird with IMAP and take a rest from this. In the future I might try again with POP3, already aware of the limitations I have learned.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

I am still messing with Thunderbird occasionally with some hope that I will get used to it.

Today I got an email with an attachment and I see no way to get the attachment to my desktop.

I searched the Internet on how to extract an attachment in Thunderbird and I see several pages saying that is not a native function and I would need to install an add-on called attachment extractor. Say what?! Surely you cannot be serious! Attachments are like some fancy advanced stuff? If this is so I don't care how easy it is to install the add-on, I am not doing that.

Do I really need an add-on to download attachments in Thunderbird?
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

GS3 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:46 pm
Do I really need an add-on to download attachments in Thunderbird?
Simple answer - no.

How to here: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/open-em ... 45453.html

More technical detail here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Attachments_%28Thunderbird%29
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Something is very wrong with your Thunderbird profile. It's normally just a case of right clicking an attachment and choosing Save As.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Simple answer - no.

How to here: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/open-em ... 45453.html

More technical detail here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Attachments_%28Thunderbird%29
Thanks! I swear I looked everywhere.

Still, it seems things in Thunderbird require more clicks and steps than what I am used to in Outlook Express. In OE, to attach a file to an email I can just drag and drop from the desktop to the email but in Thunderbird I need to open a dialogue window, navigate, select the file by name, etc.

Oh well. I will just keep going and see if I can get used to it. For now it is only experimental and I still consider OE my main client.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

GS3 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:10 pm
Still, it seems things in Thunderbird require more clicks and steps than what I am used to in Outlook Express. In OE, to attach a file to an email I can just drag and drop from the desktop to the email but in Thunderbird I need to open a dialogue window, navigate, select the file by name, etc.
After you click on Write to start a new email, drag an attachment over the mail message. An attachment pane will automatically open on the right and you just drop the attachment there. Voila! :)
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm
After you click on Write to start a new email, drag an attachment over the mail message. An attachment pane will automatically open on the right and you just drop the attachment there. Voila! :)
This does not work for me. If I drag a file to the email it just pastes the text file:///home/a/Desktop/filename in the email.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thunderbird 68.10.0 (64-bit)
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

GS3 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:13 pm
Mick-Cork wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm
This does not work for me. If I drag a file to the email it just pastes the text file:///home/a/Desktop/filename in the email.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thunderbird 68.10.0 (64-bit)
Same version of TB here.
Does the attachment pane open up for you when you drag the attachment in? If so, make sure you drop the file(s) there.

Short Youtube vid from 3 years ago, but process similar to what I do now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1U9PJ0jRQ
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:45 pm
Does the attachment pane open up for you when you drag the attachment in? If so, make sure you drop the file(s) there.
Ah, OK, I was just dropping the file in the middle of the text area (as I am used to) and did not think of taking it to that specific area of the window. Now I can get it to work. Thanks again!
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Another little annoyance. When composing an email, in the "To:", "CC:" lines, I can start typing a name and it will automatically present names which match ... but only for the first addressee of that email so that if I am sending an email to several people, after the first one I have to remember or look up the rest. I am used to letting the email client propose matching names to me as long as I keep typing a few letters. It is like it is intended to only write emails to a single addressee.

Or am I missing something ... Again?

Another thing I don't quite like is the column that is labelled "Correspondents". I want to know who is it from and who is it sent to. If I have a series of emails exchanged with "correspondent X" I want to clearly see which ones are from me to X and which ones are from X to me. Is there any way around this?
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

When composing mail click the line below To and you will get a new address line which you can change from To to Cc to Bcc etc.

To change the column headings click the symbol at the right of the From/Subject/Date row and you will be able to add or subtract whatever columns you like.
Cliff Coggin
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:08 am
When composing mail click the line below To and you will get a new address line which you can change from To to Cc to Bcc etc.
Ah, OK, now I see how it works. Each addressee is on a separate line and you cannot see all the lines but you have a scroll bar on the right to scroll up and down. I am not sure I like it as much as having them all on the same line but at least I know how it works and how to use it which is what counts.
cliffcoggin wrote:
To change the column headings click the symbol at the right of the From/Subject/Date row and you will be able to add or subtract whatever columns you like.
I have to plead stupid on this one because I had already been changing the column headings to include email size and others so I have no idea how I could have overlooked this. Thanks for the tip.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

cliffcoggin wrote:
When composing mail click the line below To and you will get a new address line
Or press enter after entering the first address, for the same result.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Moem wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:52 am
cliffcoggin wrote:
When composing mail click the line below To and you will get a new address line
Or press enter after entering the first address, for the same result.
True, but then I unthinkingly start to type the subject title and it takes me several moments to work out why it is red. I guess I am also part of the stupid club.
Cliff Coggin
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

These things seem so obvious once you know them but can drive you crazy when you are trying to look for them. It's like the arrow in the Fedex logo, once it is pointed out to you it just seems so obvious.

Now I understand the addressing lines in Thunderbird but I guess I was thrown off by the scrolling thing. Now I can use it easily without any problem.

Still, it is not only knowing something, it is getting it to be a reflexive thing which you do as you go along without even thinking. That takes time.

One thing that has become abundantly clear to me in my testing is that IMAP will work very badly or not at all over a bad connection so I need to use POP3. Can I just change the settings of my existing accounts to POP3 or should I better just delete the accounts and start over again?
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

GS3 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:21 pm

One thing that has become abundantly clear to me in my testing is that IMAP will work very badly or not at all over a bad connection so I need to use POP3. Can I just change the settings of my existing accounts to POP3 or should I better just delete the accounts and start over again?
Yes a good internet connection is essential for IMAP. I can't help with setting up POP3, I struggled to set up my own and got there more by luck than judgement.
Cliff Coggin
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

I don't think you can simply change a mail account from imap to pop3 but you can add a second mail account using pop3, but with the same user and password, and then choose which account is default, similar to the way you would add a totally different account for another person.

Just go to Edit ->Account Settings then at the bottom of the right hand pane to Account Actions ->Add Mail Account. You can set the default account in this window.

Bear in mind that this may be a bit confusing when organising/reading your emails, so I would actually recommend that you delete the imap account and create the new one.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

ajgreeny wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:06 pm
I don't think you can simply change a mail account from imap to pop3 but you can add a second mail account using pop3, but with the same user and password, and then choose which account is default, similar to the way you would add a totally different account for another person.

Just go to Edit ->Account Settings then at the bottom of the right hand pane to Account Actions ->Add Mail Account. You can set the default account in this window.

Bear in mind that this may be a bit confusing when organising/reading your emails, so I would actually recommend that you delete the imap account and create the new one.
Thanks. I think I will just delete all the IMAP accounts and start over from scratch setting them up with POP3 and see how that works out.

Return to “Open chat”