Remove linux mint and install win10

Chat about just about anything else
N01F34R
Level 1
Level 1

Remove linux mint and install win10

Post by N01F34R »

Im trying to remove linux mint which is the only OS installed on my laptop and install Windows 10. I have the windows ISO USB ready to go but how do i boot from Linux floppy if i dont have a floppy drive? and yes i have tried using wine and virtual machines but they dont work very well for what im doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Remove linux mint and install win10

Post by gittiest personITW »

You'll need a dvd drive.
Can get USB DVD drives quite cheap.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

You should not have to remove Linux mint because the Windows installer will over right it anyway.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

you need to make the usb bootable. no need for floppies or dvd. just make the computer boot from usb. usually that's by hitting the f12 button on start. go here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 and use that tool to create a bootable usb drive to install windows with. usb drive should be at least 8gb. it will install the home version or pro version, depending on what your computer had previously. you mustuse same version of windows 10 also. if your computer had windows 7 or 8/8.1 you can use that tool to upgrade for free. you will need the product key to activate windows, in that case. if it had windows 10 previously, you shouldn't need the key.

obviously you will want to wipe the drive and do a clean install and it will remove linux with no problem. have done this to several machines myself.

current version of windows 10 will not fit on a dvd drive unless you have a dual layer drive.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

missmoondog wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:25 am

current version of windows 10 will not fit on a dvd drive unless you have a dual layer drive.
Youre quite right. The iso is 4.9GB. Just went on to 'that site' to check. Ignore my last post.
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

missmoondog wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:25 am
you need to make the usb bootable......
To expand on this, if you want to make a bootable Windows 10 install USB without spending the money for a USB DVD drive, you can use WoeUSB.
There are some simple & easy-to-follow instructions on the OMG Ubuntu! site.

It's annoying that such a tool is needed, but just writing the ISO to the USB never seems to work. WoeUSB always does that trick.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

I've not had problems using mint's USB image writer to burn win10 iso's that worked.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

N01F34R wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 am
Im trying to remove linux mint which is the only OS installed on my laptop and install Windows 10. I have the windows ISO USB ready to go but how do i boot from Linux floppy if i dont have a floppy drive?
Oh Dear...another Windoze user running back to Windoze...Bye Bye.Image

If you want to put Windoze Spyware 10 on Floppy Disks...you'll need about 400 of 'em...maybe you can ask how to do this on the Windoze Forum down the road. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image
missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

AndyMH wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:13 pm
I've not had problems using mint's USB image writer to burn win10 iso's that worked.
i tried using mints usb writer tool the last time i did this switch of os's for some one and it did not work. obviously, to use the microsoft creation tool you need to do it on a windows machine though. forgot to mention that part.

seeing as how op already had the iso downloaded, if you don't want to use the microsoft tool, there is a tool called rufus that will create a bootable usb also that is very good. need to be on a windows machine for that also,

https://rufus.ie/
bob466 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:49 am
N01F34R wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 am
Im trying to remove linux mint which is the only OS installed on my laptop and install Windows 10. I have the windows ISO USB ready to go but how do i boot from Linux floppy if i dont have a floppy drive?
Oh Dear...another Windoze user running back to Windoze...Bye Bye.Image

If you want to put Windoze Spyware 10 on Floppy Disks...you'll need about 400 of 'em...maybe you can ask how to do this on the Windoze Forum down the road. Image
don't be so hard on op. maybe their first attempt at linux. although mint is quite easy, it takes a couple tries, at least, for a lot of people to make the switch full time.

here's hoping all goes well for op!! :)

Return to “Open chat”