Junk Food. I am an addict.

Chat about just about anything else
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Junk Food. I am an addict.

Post by carum carvi »

I am addicted to junk food (chips, hamburgers, fries, greasy sauces). I love it, but I know I shouldnt eat it. It's comfort food. It's useless, health wise, but the moment I start eating it I have difficulty stopping, until the moment I blow up like a balloon and I realise I have to stop.

The thing about addictions (although junkfood isnt often mentioned or taken seriously as an ADDICTiON) is that once I start eating them, chemicals or other factors seem to take over my logical thinking. I feel I NEED to keep using junkfood, ONCE I have started to eat it. It feels good, so why stop eating it?

I am now eating junkfood in large quantities once a week. Many wont see that as a problem. I do though,because for years (10 years) I have been able to live / eat without. The corona crisis triggered me into starting eating junkfood again. Anyone else recognizes this behaviour?
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Junk Food. I am an addict.

Post by MartyMint »

I started to cut junk food out of my diet about 15 years ago. Not because of any hysterical concern for the health effects on my body...I just convinced myself through sheer force of will that it actually tasted gross.
Whenever someone opens a bag of hamburgers around me now, I'm just overwhelmed by the rancid grease smell and the idea of the unsanitary chain of preparations it went through.
I still have a sweet tooth, though...
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

did you happen to finish your junk food crisis with an ice cold brew of Corona beer? seems only fitting would you not agree?
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:24 am
[ ... ] once I start eating them, chemicals or other factors seem to take over my logical thinking.
They do. Given an evolutionary history in which getting too much sustenance was not often a problem, high caloric foods, junk food included, trigger our brain's reward circuits, i.e., release the brain-chemical dopamine. If you can't resist this it is often the case that you don't experience enough such reward naturally, either as a social or a dietary matter. I believe the latter can be foregone by e.g. taking in more proteins; former many may feel less easily dealt with generally.
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

It could well be the sugar in the junk food that is causing the cravings. When I (for a short time) worked in a Fast food franchise, I was told that they add sugar to just about everything to increase the body's dopamine response. It seems to work better on some individuals than others, though because I can take or leave Fast food.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Take a small amount of time to learn a few good healthy recipes (the internet is full of the info you could use, if you wanted), ditch junk food and make some proper nice food. See the small amount of preparation as part of the fun, it won't be as quick as throwing a box of chips in a microwave, but you can easily prep a great stir-fry in 5-10mins, and have a healthy meal to enjoy (etc).

Life is all about the choices we choose to make, if you are not 'happy' in yours, make some different, positive, choices :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Not me. I have lost weight ever since this stay at home thing has started.
Stepson and I have an exercise bike. I do not have junk food. Graduate of a VA MOVE program for a healthy life style in 2012. Lost about 45 lbs over three years.
I weighed 165.5.
153 now 150 is my goal. Turned 79 in April.
Life is great. Pacemaker keeps me going after heart failure. Called heart block. Look it up.

I live in the USA. Massachusetts, sometimes called the Colonies.

Cheers

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
kelevra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kelevra »

I truly believe that many people are addicted to sugar, myself included. I get these urges sometimes, and the only thing that seems to quell them is a good dose of something sweetened. I have cut back severely on the amount of processed sugar and iodized salt I consume. But I still need a 'fix' now and then.
My father stopped eating all things white and dropped down to his doctor's prescribed weight in no time. I myself think he looks sickly but I guess I have never seen him without a belly. I am also of the doctrine that people should have a little meat on their bones. I think something as severe as stopping the consumption of all things white is far too extreme, IMHO.
Hello my name is kelevra and I am a sugar addict.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

Return to “Open chat”