Am I The Only One...

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Am I The Only One...

Post by Portreve »

You know how there's these (basically time-wasting) "Where Are They Now?" web sites featuring stuff about various celebrities...

Am I the only one who thinks, when the celebrity in question has died, they should simply show a grave site, or for example a shot of the ocean if their ashes were dropped at sea?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Am I The Only One...

Post by rene »

Personally I think those sites should always show a grave site. Just so as to remind anyone stupid enough to scrounge around "celebrity" sites that they're wasting life-time.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

rene wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 am
Personally I think those sites should always show a grave site. Just so as to remind anyone stupid enough to scrounge around "celebrity" sites that they're wasting life-time.
Ok, but what about Elvis?

:mrgreen:
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Lert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lert »

As soon as I see the words 'Celebrity' or 'Reality' I'm out of there..
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Lert wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 am
As soon as I see the words 'Celebrity' or 'Reality' I'm out of there..
Especially when someone mentions Elvis! :D See ya!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:47 pm
Especially when someone mentions Elvis!
Elvis is dead? No way! The King is alive! And well... I just hummed along with his music yesterday...

To get serious: I really never want to know when a celebrity I am fond has died. It always makes me so sad. :( The great thing about celebrities (in movies and music for me personally) is that they are IMMORTAL to me, because through their wonderful art work they have made during their lifetime, I get so much joy again and again...
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Depending upon how you look at time, Beyonce is long dead and buried, or Bach has yet to be born, or the Beatles are still going strong. Time is all relative anyway.

There was a scene in one of the first Doctor episodes of Dr. Who where he's built this television-like apparatus for watching events in time. As he's showing this off, one of his companions, who's from the distant future, takes an interest in the Beatles concert they're watching and remarks that she didn't know they played "classical music". :lol:

— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

The time when I realized I was getting older is; when more and more of celebrities I knew started to die.
Free as in free speech...
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

In 2004, I was at a local Pizza Hut with some friends. Our server's name was Rio, and I asked her how she came to be given that name.

“Well,” she explained, “my parents were huge fans of Duran Duran.”

I turned 95 right on the spot. :shock:

— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

I accidentally heard Duran Duran yesterday on the radio. I dont wanna bash that band completely, but I can still remember "when I was young", back in the early eighties, that I thought of Duran Duran as the "future of music". Ooo what "insights" into the "future" did I have in those days :oops: :oops: :oops: I really thought that Duran Duran was "the future", because back then it was the flashiest, newest sound on the block and they had really flashy videos as well. Now it hearts my ears listening to it and their hairdos truly look ridiculous now, although they made a few good songs as well, later on...let I not be too harsh... :D
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

erginemr wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:55 am
The time when I realized I was getting older is; when more and more of celebrities I knew started to die.
I always need to check if Ambrose Bierce is still alive because I can never remember.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I can't believe how many of the folks from Babylon 5 have died. Andreas Katsulas, Richard Biggs, Michael O'Hare, Jerry Doyle, Stephen Furst, Jeff Conaway, Tim Choate... those are just the series regulars or semi-regulars. A number of guest roll actors have also died.

I think though that the one which affected me the most was Richard Hatch from original BSG (and who also played Tom Zarek in NuBSG). I met him twice at Megacon in Orlando, and he was simply the kindest, nicest, most down-to-Earth guy you can imagine. His death also came so totally out of the blue as well. Him and some others like Erin Gray and Gil Gerard could be your next door neighbor and you'd know them on a friendly, first name basis.

— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter

Return to “Open chat”