Ikea is a Dangerous Place...

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Ikea is a Dangerous Place...

Post by Portreve »

Today I had my first experience shopping around in an Ikea. I've heard about them from my European friends, but there isn't one near me. Today, I was in the Tampa area and decided to finally go to the one there.

Oh my goodness! :shock:

I've suddenly realized I need to get rid of all my stuff and get... new stuff! :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Ikea is a Dangerous Place...

Post by AZgl1500 »

Yes,

that is a very dangerous place..... back when my wife was alive, she "needed to go to" IKEA at least once a year.....

fortunately, we moved about 5 states away, and the nearest one is 500 miles from here. :o
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

You also need to be in good shape to shop there. I brought my 80-year-old mother there once and just getting out almost killed her.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-42-generic
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti w/2GB RAM (for FAH)
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

What started this whole thing is I'm using a pair of shelving units as a dresser. They're kind of crap, and I've wanted a proper dresser for a while. I've looked on Ikea's web site before, but that was nothing like shopping there.

I need to replace my bed, which I'll probably do via SAM's Club or maybe a local mattress store (depending on prices and finding something I like) but I can definitely see getting a lot of other things from Ikea.

So, one big difference between Germany and the U.S. is that our bedrooms come with closets. In fact, at least here in the state of Florida, a room is not legally a bedroom if it does not have a closet. Also, people do not "take their kitchen with them" when they move. They might take their refrigerator and possibly dish washer, but that's about it. Nevertheless, I did look at cabinets they sell. Heck, they even sell appliances there! That was cool to know.

I'd like to redo my office (it's a repurposed bedroom) in addition to the bedroom I use as a bedroom.

I'm gonna be so damn broke... :lol:

— Voltaire
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Half of my furniture is from IKEA. :lol:

You have to be careful in an IKEA store, though.... Not everything is of good quality, and not everything is good value for the money. But the food in the restaurant usually is. And I highly recommend the "Billy" book case. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

I accompanied my brother to an Ikea shop last year, and despite spending an hour inside I could not see a single thing that I was even remotely tempted to buy. Never again.
Cliff Coggin
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

NEVER EVER take you wife there!!!! :lol: To me, I can walk through there and not spend a cent, but they do have some clever solutions to problems that some people have. I like their setups that show how much you can cram into a small space and still be livable.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:48 pm
I like their setups that show how much you can cram into a small space and still be livable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSVCGoxNgcI

And there's still room left for Ikea stuff.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:02 pm
Half of my furniture is from IKEA. :lol:

You have to be careful in an IKEA store, though.... Not everything is of good quality, and not everything is good value for the money. But the food in the restaurant usually is. And I highly recommend the "Billy" book case. :mrgreen:
Speaking of food, I had their Stockholm Salad. That was so good I want to go back just for it! And that honey and dill mustard (I believe that's what was in it) was simply outstanding.

As for the Billy bookcase, the shelving units I have are basically shorter versions of that, at least as far as I can tell from the photos.

— Voltaire
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

some years ago, the Wife succumbed to an Ikea display cabinet,
which is made of compressed cardboard, coated with an plastic layer.

you wouldn't believe, just how heavy, those components are .. screwing them to the wall .. was Not Fun.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:12 pm
Is she still in it?

:mrgreen:
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
detimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by detimo »

Pierre wrote:

you wouldn't believe, just how heavy, those components are .. screwing them to the wall .. was Not Fun.
it's not that common to screw furniture to the wall, but it's a good practice especially for those with kids
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

detimo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 am
Pierre wrote:

it's not that common to screw furniture to the wall, but it's a good practice especially for those with kids
who says you have to be a kid?
at 78 and having suffered a major vehicle incident, my balance is only as good as the nearest solid object.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Mick-Cork
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mick-Cork »

Bit of a long one, buy hey...

My last experience of Ikea was about 16 years ago. We'd moved to SW Ireland and there was no store in the country at the time. Anyway herself returned to london for a month of work and whilst there decided we needed an additional bed for the new house, and it had to be a pretty iron one from Ikea! We were expecting guests that Christmas and she had it all worked out.They don't deliver to other countries so, being the gent, I said I'd get the ferry and drive over in a big old Merc estate we had at the time. The plan was to get the boat from Cork to Swansea in Wales, drive down to Cardiff, meet her off the train from London, go to the Ikea there, get the bed, and then get the ferry back to Ireland later that day.

Well that was the plan!

So, I set off very early on the day in question (65 Irish miles in front of me), and it being dark and very foggy missed the turn for the port and got there with only 15 mins to spare. Got on the boat thanking my lucky stars I hadn't screwed it all up. Docked in Swansea later that morning and with plenty of time to spare set off down the motorway towards Cardiff. The roads were really clear and halfway there decided to pull into a service station for a coffee break. I just coasted off the motorway and rolled into the car park, not needing to touch the brakes until the last moment - at which point my foot went straight to the floor! I'd been doing 70mph before that.

Shyte! What to do. She was due in Cardiff in the next couple of hours, the car was knackered, and I was stuck maybe 50 miles away! I called the AA thinking I might at least get to a garage/mechanic. They were great, arrived quick and hooked the Merc up on the back. But the driver then said 'where do you want to be dropped off'. They had a rule - one destination - you're choice where that is. I explained the situation, and to my surprise he said ok, we'll go to Cardiff, get herself, and then drop the car back at Swansea ferry port later. So off we went to Cardiff train station. She was there waiting, popped into the front of the truck with the pair of us, and promptly said "can we go to Ikea now, it's on the way back"!!

The look on the driver's face was priceless :) - I didn't know where to look! He actually considered it for a moment, and then said it'd be busy in their car park and being a big truck we could get stuck. I just nodded in agreement. She tried again, but in the end gracefully accepted his decision. I'm still wondering how the heck are we going to get home, forget the bed, bigger things to consider here. And here was the surprise, the driver took us to the dock and said they'd have a pick-up truck waiting in Cork for us on arrival. I drove slowly on to the ferry using the handbrake to stop, and when we rolled off on the Irish side sure enough recovery truck waiting. Took us all the way back to far West Cork and to my local garage. 10 minutes from home :) Brilliant service.

Turned out one of the break pipes had split.

Anyway, the moral of the story, if your wife want to go to Ikea tell her to go on her own! :)
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:20 pm
Anyway, the moral of the story, if your wife want to go to Ikea tell her to go on her own! :)
God no, that would mean my bankruptcy! :shock:

Great story.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Turned out one of the break pipes had split.

Awesome story there, but send her alone? ummmm, that is like opening up the bank account to all of the homeless persons around here. :shock:

you were super fortunate for the brake line to have split slowly, and allowed you to use the hand brake.

My daughter is a rural mail route driver..... our cars are normally driven from the "wrong side" so I ordered up a kit to make our car drive from the "right side" :mrgreen:

Monday a week past, the brake line to the right side let go, and the wrong side wouldn't stop on its' own.....
lucky she was on a straight rural back road, and able to coast to a stop...
she called me and I drove the Wrong Side for the rest of the route allowing her to deliver mail to the boxes from the "right side" ..... then found a mechanic to fix the break in the "brake line" next day. 8)

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Okay, can we be done with the old 'women spend too much on frivolous stuff, har har har' jokes? That's such a tired old saw and frankly I get sick of it. As shown by the topic starter, Ikea is simply an effective selling machine disguised as a store, and it works on many people.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

"Frivolous stuff" is not the point there; nesting stuff is.
Mick-Cork
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mick-Cork »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:38 pm
you were super fortunate for the brake line to have split slowly, and allowed you to use the hand brake.

My daughter is a rural mail route driver..... our cars are normally driven from the "wrong side" so I ordered up a kit to make our car drive from the "right side" :mrgreen:

Monday a week past, the brake line to the right side let go, and the wrong side wouldn't stop on its' own.....
lucky she was on a straight rural back road, and able to coast to a stop...
she called me and I drove the Wrong Side for the rest of the route allowing her to deliver mail to the boxes from the "right side" ..... then found a mechanic to fix the break in the "brake line" next day. 8)

Hi AZ, tbh I think I was just lucky that I didn't have to do any quick braking on the motorway before the service station. The way the pedal went to the floor, without any real pressure, makes me think I could have had quite a crunch if anything had pulled up sharp in front of me. The irony of it all was we found a better/nicer bed in a local antique shop the following week!

Your own story reminds me of the spirit of the Pony Express :)
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 pm
Ikea is simply an effective selling machine disguised as a store, and it works on many people.
Given that:
1. I am not female; and
2. A considerable number of the people I saw at Ikea were also male

I conclude that your assertion is correct. Further, since it is such an effective disguise, I am going to postulate it's actually a TARDIS, with supplementary evidence being it contains, even for an alleged "structure" of enormous size, a pretty much impossible number of things I want to buy.

Okay, can we be done with the old 'women spend too much on frivolous stuff, har har har' jokes? That's such a tired old saw and frankly I get sick of it.
I'm going to throw in behind you on this, Moem, for two reasons: first, your knowledge of the word "saw" as used in this context. You speak the language better than many of its natives. Second, everyone I've talked to, whether male or female, have all pretty much said the same thing: they go in for one thing and come out with a hundred bucks' worth of other things.

— Voltaire

Return to “Open chat”