Chat about just about anything else
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ikea is a Dangerous Place...

Post by RollyShed »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 pm
Incidentally, here's the dresser I'm going to order online (because it's out of stock until the middle of next month at this store):
You are happy with gripping the underside (I presume) of a draw to open each rather than a knob or handle?

Asking not condemning. The advantage of no knob is nothing to break and nothing to fall off or get tangled with things. It certainly gives a clean look.

The thing I was looking at, mentioned earlier, was the cell phone holder. Anyone tried one? The ones we make are from a small block of wood with a slot, total height a bit over an inch (~30 mm) and no cable slot.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rene wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:50 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:34 pm
What you not have the moral right to do is offensively impose those feelings or beliefs on those who do not share yours.
Yet the only one who was trying to impose or seemingly trying to impose something on others, as applauded by you, was a board moderator overstepping the bounds of the Open Chat forum at a point where not a single objectively offensive word had been spoken.

You really need a more objective view of yourself.This thread is however after the last few posts now minutes away from being closed down so, while I feel for you, you'll again not be getting it. Blast.
You still don't get it. Go back to the first page and reread the stereotypical comments about women being over spenders, etc. Moem (and I, although I hadn't planned on saying anything about it until people started attacking her) took offense and fairly politely asked people to knock it off. Then the whining about not having the freedom to be inconsiderate of the feelings of others began and things got ugly in a hurry due to some individuals thinking only about themselves and not others. :roll:
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

RollyShed wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 am
Portreve wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 pm
Incidentally, here's the dresser I'm going to order online (because it's out of stock until the middle of next month at this store):
You are happy with gripping the underside (I presume) of a draw to open each rather than a knob or handle?

Asking not condemning. The advantage of no knob is nothing to break and nothing to fall off or get tangled with things. It certainly gives a clean look.

The thing I was looking at, mentioned earlier, was the cell phone holder. Anyone tried one? The ones we make are from a small block of wood with a slot, total height a bit over an inch (~30 mm) and no cable slot.
Actually, the drawers are good from the tops, and yes, I prefer a clean, minimalist design.

I just reread your earlier post, along with this one. I don't see any mention of a cell phone holder on IKEA. I just did a deliberate search and didn't run across anything. Can you point out what you're referring to? I'd like to see it. :)
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:18 am
Actually, the drawers are good from the tops, and yes, I prefer a clean, minimalist design.
A tip for IKEA drawers: don't buy a cabinet that has drawers with cardboard bottoms. They tend to start bulging out after a while, when the load is heavy, thus ruining the cabinet. Buy a cabinet that has drawers with solid wooden bottoms. I have a couple of those that I bought 25 years ago at IKEA: they're still as good as new.

That's one of the examples of IKEA selling both good stuff and poor stuff. In order to notice things like that about their products, you need to visit their store: the interwebs don't allow for thorough examinations. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Y'know what, Pjotr... color me unimpressed. I've been to "nice" and even "upscale" furniture stores before. Here's a fact: every single last one of them cut corners, no matter how much you spend.

That particular chest of drawers seemed to be pretty decent quality for the money. But I'll keep my clothes on the floor before I'll spend double, triple, or ten times the amount. It's simply not worth it.

— Voltaire

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

Portreve wrote:
I just reread your earlier post, along with this one. I don't see any mention of a cell phone holder on IKEA. I just did a deliberate search and didn't run across anything. Can you point out what you're referring to? I'd like to see it. :)
I hope this gets you to it -
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/sigfinn-ho ... -80392099/

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:21 am
Y'know what, Pjotr... color me unimpressed. I've been to "nice" and even "upscale" furniture stores before. Here's a fact: every single last one of them cut corners, no matter how much you spend.

That particular chest of drawers seemed to be pretty decent quality for the money. But I'll keep my clothes on the floor before I'll spend double, triple, or ten times the amount. It's simply not worth it.
Well, those drawer bottoms can make the difference between an IKEA chest that'll last only a couple of years, and an IKEA chest that'll last you at least 25 years (and counting).

IKEA sells, or used to sell (I haven't checked) both kinds. But hey, it's your money. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

RollyShed wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:46 am
Portreve wrote:
I hope this gets you to it -
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/sigfinn-ho ... -80392099/
Oooh! That's cool.

— Voltaire

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:02 pm
Half of my furniture is from IKEA. :lol:

You have to be careful in an IKEA store, though.... Not everything is of good quality, and not everything is good value for the money. But the food in the restaurant usually is. And I highly recommend the "Billy" book case. :mrgreen:
We have two, and six of the cd/dvd shelves. Probably going to have to get two more, or three.....

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:38 am
Portreve wrote:
A tip for IKEA drawers: don't buy a cabinet that has drawers with cardboard bottoms. They tend to start bulging out after a while, when the load is heavy, thus ruining the cabinet. Buy a cabinet that has drawers with solid wooden bottoms. I have a couple of those that I bought 25 years ago at IKEA: they're still as good as new.

That's one of the examples of IKEA selling both good stuff and poor stuff. In order to notice things like that about their products, you need to visit their store: the interwebs don't allow for thorough examinations. :mrgreen:
Yes, you have to go there and look. That is half the fun....

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote:
Portreve wrote:

Yes, you have to go there and look. That is half the fun....

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

So, some updates.

The cabinet I want is essentially unavailable (out of stock) in Florida. When I looked yesterday, the Jacksonville store had one on hand, but it would be unreasonable for me to drive that kind of distance just for a cabinet. It will be available by the middle of July. So, the folks at the Tampa store suggested I order it online. When I went to do this, I found they were going to charge me $199 to deliver it. Not only is that more than I want to spend, it's more than the cabinet costs! I could rent a U-Haul truck and charge myself what my employer pays me per hour, and I still wouldn't come close to $199 to get it myself. And, I don't need a rental truck for just that cabinet; it would easily fit in my car.

I was mentioning all of this today to one of my co-workers, and she suggested I look at Wayfair, which I have. And actually, I found a cabinet that I kind of like, and from the photos and reviews, it's made from actual wood. It's more expensive, naturally, but I'd be willing to pay the extra for real wood.

Here's the cabinet on Wayfair I'm seriously considering:

West Bridgewater 6 Drawer Chest

Now, it's out of stock there as well, but only until July 1, and they offer free shipping.

Do any of you folks have experience with Wayfair? Any thoughts on the chest of drawers I'm considering?

— Voltaire

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

Never used Wayfair, sorry..

It looks a nice piece of furniture to me.
Although there is not too much of an indication as to what the bottom of the drawers are made out of.
I am with Pjotr there as that the better the base of the drawer, the longer the item will wear well.

I read through the negative (3 or less) reviews & a couple of points stood out as causing customer disappointment.
1. Size - not as big as they believed it to be. Although as the size is pretty plainly marked in the pictures as 17'*30" with a 44.5" height, that did make me wonder at some people.. :D
2. Assembly - I get the impression that nothing is pre-assembled (including things like the drawer runners) & some purchasers complained that parts were broken or incorrectly located, although the assembly instructions were praised for their completeness.

From what I have seen in the UK that price for a real wood item is very competitive indeed..
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I bought some brass and ceramic bathroom towel bars and toilet paper holder from them that was good quality but were greatly overpriced. The only reason I got them was I wanted to match some existing ones I already had and no one else had them.

I was not impressed with that chest of drawers. First, the wood species is pine which is not particularly durable. The drawer sides and back are made from finger jointed wood which is not as strong as solid wood, how much weaker depending on the kind of glue used. The drawer glides are a roller design that usually is a very poor quality, especially if the rollers are made of cheap plastic that break easily (the nylon ones aren't bad). The glides also are not full extension, meaning, besides not allowing the drawers to pulled all the way out, they become weaker the further you pull them out. The price isn't too impressive, either.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as "free shipping". Someone has to pay for it and I guarantee it isn't the vendor. The cost of "free shipping" is embedded in the price of the product (which means you also get to pay tax on it). Also keep in mind "free shipping" is usually the cheapest class which may seem to travel by dogsled in summer, or gets poorly handled, or lost, by Joe's El Cheapo Freight (even worse is Amazon's shipping company; I forget what they call it now). I never look at the cost of shipping when comparison shopping. Instead, I compare bottom lines--price plus shipping plus tax (if any), etc.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

We have six of these: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/gnedby-she ... -90277145/ I must admit they are nice, and VERY heavy. We need several more.

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 pm
Any thoughts on the chest of drawers I'm considering?
I would buy it for that price, pine may be softer than exotic hardwoods, but it is common, lightweight, and more durable than particle board or MDF by far. Even the finger jointed drawer sides and backs are as strong as particle board and much lighter.
I have a very similar piece I got from a remodel job I did. It's narrower than that and it does have solid drawer sides, but other than that its nearly identical. I've had it for about three years now and I suspect it was at least a few years old when I got it. It is still very functional and I expect it to be so for years to come. The roller hardware also looks like its the same and mine extend fully and you simply tilt the drawer up and roll it out a bit more then it can be lifted out of the track and removed from the unit.
I saw one of the reviews that mentioned using wood glue for the dowels that are used to put it together and I would agree to that, it will help the unit maintain rigidity.
RIH wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 pm
I am with Pjotr there as that the better the base of the drawer, the longer the item will wear well.
I agree with Pjotr about that as well, the page is funny but there is a product description that says the drawer bottoms are plywood. The ones on my piece are as well but mine doesn't have the plywood back, my unit has no back at all, but it's still quite solid.

nlsthzn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nlsthzn »

My wife: "I just want to pop into IKEA quickly ..."
Me: :cry:
The budget: :shock:
Of all the things I've lost...

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Pjotr wrote:
don't buy a cabinet that has drawers with cardboard bottoms
+1.

I have a sideboard with the compressed fibre boards as the drawer bottoms (I've always known it as "hardboard") and they have all bowed. The drawer fronts have all come loose as well, making things worse (they keep coming off).

Not much I can do other than glue the fronts on (I had to do this with the cutlery drawer a few years back but that's a solid base & the repair has held .. and its contents are heavy!).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

A quick check around the house and a lot of the furniture is old, hence well made. Draw bottoms, oldest are wood about 5 mm thick. Others are plywood ~4mm and one set have hardboard ~4 mm thick and "as tough as old boots" as they say. The computer desks in our office are well finished MDF with pull out keyboard shelves with runners and I designed and built three of them them. One fits in a corner and was bought second hand and doesn't have a keyboard shelf. Bookshelves either I've built them or they have been bought. Some things, chairs, stool with inlaid chess board, my mother made. We sold the radiogram she made some years ago.

Ikea? We don't have it here so have none of their products.
BG405 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:20 pm
I have a sideboard with the compressed fibre boards as the drawer bottoms (I've always known it as "hardboard") and they have all bowed. The drawer fronts have all come loose as well, making things worse (they keep coming off).

Not much I can do other than glue the fronts on (I had to do this with the cutlery drawer a few years back but that's a solid base & the repair has held .. and its contents are heavy!).
If it keeps coming off you glue it, PVA glue should do it.

Hardboard, very dark, almost black, very tough, stronger than MDF of the same thickness as it is HDF.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard
The type I've always known and used "dry processed hardboard is smooth on both sides". See the history dates back to 1898.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 pm
First, the wood species is pine which is not particularly durable. .
I wouldn't write off pine as a species for furniture too readily, as you have mentioned there are lots of other factors that affect the quality and longevity of any furniture item. I have a pine dresser that is now over 40 years old and, apart from some yellowing with age, is still as strong as the day I purchased it. I'm sure I still have other pine pieces of similar vintage.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open chat”