Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

“The Nice Jedi”

Post by Portreve »

Not even gonna set this up...

YouTube: The Nice Jedi
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

kelevra
Level 3
Level 3

Re: “The Nice Jedi”

Post by kelevra »

Papa Solo chasing the skirt.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

A nice spoof indeed, thank you for sharing. :D

On a more serious tone, "Star Wars Rogue One" sets itself apart from the other sequels as a worthy predecessor of the saga. I advise Rogue One to all who didn't see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY
Free as in free speech...

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

erginemr wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:55 am
A nice spoof indeed, thank you for sharing. :D

On a more serious tone, "Star Wars Rogue One" sets itself apart from the other sequels as a worthy predecessor of the saga. I advise Rogue One to all who didn't see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY
I saw Rogue One in the theater. While I think there's little argument that of all the new, Disney-era Star Wars films, it was the best / least worst, the biggest detractor for me was the idea that the original Death Star's weakness was an act of deliberate sabotage. To me, it felt like nothing but a massive ret'con job.

Because I have not watched any of the various assorted animated Clone Wars series, I can't speak to them, but ever since TPM came out in 1999, I've felt like Star Wars has jumped the shark. I think Disney simply put a gun to its head and pulled the trigger.

— Voltaire

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I liked the original Star Wars (liked is about as effusive as I can get about any of the SW franchise), after that they were ok, but nothing to "hang out" for.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I want to take a moment and explore something I never have before regarding Star Wars.

In several interviews (video and print) George Lucas has stated his original intent with the classic three Star Wars movies was to tell a more updated style of Saturday afternoon serial. Two of the foundational inspirations for him have been stated as being Errol Flynn swashbuckling films, and Flash Gordon ones, which would have been in cinemas during the 40s and 50s. I think it's not too controversial a thing to say that's pretty much what he achieved with Episodes IV, V, and VI.

The following is strictly my opinion...

When you're writing a story that's kind of in medias res, you have the luxury of making things up as you go. You can always rest upon the assumption that the universe already exists, and you're just depicting some aspect of what's going on in it. You're not (necessarily) bothered with how things have come to be, so in a sense, it's kind of "easier" to do those stories, and (if you've done a good job) you can avoid details which might not stand up to a whole lot of scrutiny.

The problem comes in when you're writing the "what came before" because at a minimum, you have to get the universe to the point that you'd originally started at, and if you intend to make things really organic and believable, you need to do a more sophisticated job of conceiving everything. Facts of the story can't simply appear out of thin air: you have to show how they came to be there.

This is exacerbated by an independent factor: sophistication of storytelling for nearly any genre, but certainly in the worlds of science fiction and anything that's intended to have some depth and believability, has increased almost exponentially between the 1970s and the late 1990s, due in equal measure to both Star Trek and Babylon 5, but also simply because other things have come along over the decades and audiences' tastes have changed and they want bigger, better stories.

What this means is the people in charge must rise to the occasion and be fundamentally capable of turning out much more sophisticated work, both on the universe development side as well as the storyline side. The more I really stop and think about what's come out from the Star Wars prequels on, the more I realize George Lucas seems to have some limits with just exactly how sophisticated an overall finished product he's able to produce. Notwithstanding the massive team he assembled who could have put together any story he ever asked for, George had to have control. He got in the way of the story, but since it was his story, and because he was too close to it, he really couldn't see that.

The new Star Wars movies really needed more of a J. Michael Straczynski who could take the overarching existing universe, and run chronologically backwards with both further universe development as well as really good character development throughlines and a worthwhile story.

When it comes to Disney, it (I would hope anyway) should be pretty obvious to all and sundry they were in it for the money, and nothing else. They dropped a s**tton of money into buying it off of George, and that meant they allowed themselves to succumb to the pressure to keep it as a cash cow. Unfortunately, what the folks in charge think a "good movie" is is clearly unrelated to what average moviegoers would think, and certainly it's a 180 from anything we classic and pretty much hardcore fans would have ever embraced. Not that that wasn't already the case with George's prequels: just look at all the crap we the fans gave him about many things, including for example Jar-Jar Binks.

To his credit, George (is known to) not care for what Disney has decided to do. However, he sold it to them, so they may do whatever they want, and there's not a thing he can do about it.

— Voltaire

cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

No matter how much you beat the dead horse, it is never going to rise and and gallop about again.
Cliff Coggin

erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 pm
A very lucid and sophisticated insight. Thanks for sharing with us.
Free as in free speech...

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

erginemr wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 am
Portreve wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 pm
A very lucid and sophisticated insight. Thanks for sharing with us.
Ditto!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open chat”