"In the old days we...."

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: "In the old days we...."

Post by deepakdeshp »

The first computer I dealt with didn't have a screen as a display. It had a punch card reader and to start the computer we had to load a small binary program using a set of toggle switches.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:33 pm The first computer I dealt with didn't have a screen as a display. It had a punch card reader and to start the computer we had to load a small binary program using a set of toggle switches.
I remember punch cards. If we wanted to be a real jerk, if someone left their cards unattended they got shuffled.....
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:25 amI remember punch cards. If we wanted to be a real jerk, if someone left their cards unattended they got shuffled.....
It could be said, a great disservice to mankind, the stopping of punch cards. Now what do you write your shopping list on?
Envelopes? Next they'll stop sending mail and then where we be?
Ohhh!!! Use your phone? But what about the curly cord trailing behind you as you walk the supermarket aisles?
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:25 amI remember punch cards. If we wanted to be a real jerk, if someone left their cards unattended they got shuffled.....
In the early '80s in England when I was working as a contractor maintaining Burroughs mainframes for the US Air Force, we still used punch cards. We had an IBM card sorter which IBM UK maintained. They only had one old guy nationally that still had the skills to repair it. He retired at almost the same time we got new mainframes and got rid of punch cards.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Me, teletypes, paper tape and Algol60 were my first introduction to computing.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:04 am Me, teletypes, paper tape and Algol60 were my first introduction to computing.
Paper tapes reading at 50 char/minute, had a checksum after some blocks so if the tape stuck we had to position it at the previous block. It was a total 16k memory with only basic compiler, occupying 12k. 4k for the user space. Those were the days.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

I spent my days in 1975 behind an IBM card punch somewhat like in this article: https://twobithistory.org/2018/06/23/ib ... punch.html There were a few 3270 terminals around but those were mainly used for heating the office (system down 70% of the day).
The card punch never failed if you knew how to switch it on :)
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

At one time I used a Stringy Floppy drive with a Radio Shack TRS-80. It used tiny cassettes with a magnetic tape. It worked quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exatron_Stringy_Floppy
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

....... paper tape .......
chaded or chadless :D
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldun »

vimes666 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:16 pm I spent my days in 1975 behind an IBM card punch...
I too spent a fair bit of time using those. Workflow at our office was- Design, hand code (to coding sheets), give those to the "punch girls" who would return the cards to you, check cards against coding sheets, submit for compile (one a day unless you were lucky enough to get two), fix errors, repeat until you got it right!
We used the 029 when the punchies were busy doing unimportant things like production data entry.
Also used a Teletype as a terminal to GE Time share network. I used that to right I mean write, a ship trim & stability program in Fortran so the ships planners could run it at their whim without having to wait for our "massive" Honeywell 2040 to be free.
Last edited by Oldun on Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo T480s i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 21.2 Victoria
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Interesting Wikipedia article on the BBC Microcomputer at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro. The "Beeb" was my introduction to micros back in the mid 80's. I bought it (not cheap) while living in England and brought it back to the States. Since I had the RGB monitor there was no problem with NTSC TV standards, and I brought a 240-110V household transformer back with me and ran it in reverse to power the 240V Beeb. BBC Basic was a masterpiece. Very Pascal-like. I'd bought the ROM expansion board and after doing a course at Burroughs on Pascal I bought the Pascal ROM to practice. I added the dual floppies and wrote a cataloging program to keep track of the nearly 100 floppies full of software I'd accumulated, many of the programs were copied laboriously character by character from magazines and some I wrote and shared with my friends while I lived in England.
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

I still have DecPack cartridge in my closet somewhere with the very first BASIC programs I wrote in 1982 in high school. My first PC was a CoCo 1 with CompuServe cartridge and one of these modems:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

In the old days, we used to get together with antikythera, who would calculate the phases of the moon and positions of planets for us. What an amazing guy.
antikythera wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:10 am ...
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Back in the old days we used to send a runner with a message stick. Occasionally he would lose it and have to go back to get the message again.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:32 am Back in the old days we used to send a runner with a message stick. Occasionally he would lose it and have to go back to get the message again.
I guess if the recipient got the stick the runner would go back with an 'ACK' and if not, with 'NAK' :)
Mintmann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mintmann »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm
Mintmann wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 pm My first pc had no Windows! :P
Lol!!! Me too!
My first computer game was called Cave played on an IBM type main-frame designed by Ippolito.
I little dwarf had to be killed and then find a magic wand to get across a bridge and do something that I cannot remember.
That's age for ya!

Return to “Open Chat”