Level 4
Level 4

Re: Acer's laptops are always broken...

Post by antikythera »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:25 pm
antikythera wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:37 pm
Actually I can be sure as they said so :)
No. One should never presume to know all about the immutability of a decision taken by someone else. So why don't you cork up that vinegar bottle and leave the commenting in this thread to people with constructive intentions?

Firstly, as I appear to have upset you with my perceived misguided attempt at humour, I apologise.

Secondly, I posted as constructively as everyone else earlier in the thread and will take instruction from designated forum staff only about my behaviour, not other registered members. So feel free to report my posts in future if you think I am causing trouble or being rude to you rather than wasting both our time with pointless off-topic exchanges.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
antikythera
Level 4
Level 4

Post by antikythera »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:18 pm
I, for one, have always appreciated Pjotr's efforts to provide the Big Picture, and he has helped me many a time on problems and I never once set foot on the thread where he was "helping others".
I have no doubt about that at all, sadly Pjotr didn't see the joke. I hope he continues to help and I haven't dampened the enthusiasm to do so.
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

My dad gave me his laptop, I think the last time he turned laptop on was 6-7 years ago at least.
He is just not interested in computers.
An Acer Aspire 6530, I guess it must be about 10 years old.
I installed Debian Buster on it today, I had to run the installer 3 times before I succeeded. :-/
And it was quite sluggish.
Then I wiped the drive and installed LM20 Cinnamon.
It installed without any problems and runs much faster, although I need to replace the old 5400 RPM HDD with a SSD later on.
Points to Linux Mint! Installing is extremely easy and fast.
This laptop(Lenovo L520) is my primary laptop, the Acer will be my backup laptop.
zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zshlover »

Swampthing wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:00 am
It installed without any problems and runs much faster, although I need to replace the old 5400 RPM HDD with a SSD later on.
Points to Linux Mint! Installing is extremely easy and fast.
This laptop(Lenovo L520) is my primary laptop, the Acer will be my backup laptop.
It is! SSD will also give you a speed boost. You may be able to add more memory to the laptop, but sometimes it's hard to open up those laptops. With Windows, the irony is that each time you get a new computer, the version of windows is also a lot more heavy with bogus features and so you end up with the same slow computer :lol:
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

I do not think I have answered this post before.
I have had two 5515 Acer laptops for some years. They did very well but eventually the touch pads failed.
Using the track ball USB ports eventually pushed in the USB connectors. Not worth repairing.
I tossed them

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fotonix »

I've had good success with several HP laptops, Toshiba, Sony Viao, Samsung, Asus, MSI. Though the MSI kicked hard with its UEFI. If you want to stick the word "broken" on a brand: Gigabyte. Big steaming pile of brown stuff. I had an expensive model crash and burn after just 18 months (hardware / firmware). Like every component from the BIOS, motherboard, RAM, ports, HDD, even the SSD all somehow ended up faulty. Replaced with an Asus after saving up for a year.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
nicolas708
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nicolas708 »

Acer is one of the reputed laptop manufacturing company and their laptop are of good quality. I am talking about my own personal experience
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

fotonix wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:02 am
Though the MSI kicked hard with its UEFI.
Likewise with my desktop, wouldn't buy another MSI mobo.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

We've had a slew of different brand of laptops and all have lasted for the most five plus years without failure.

My kids and grand kids are laptop users and generally the failures we've had are due to human error as in abuse.

Leaving them on the floor by the bed and getting up in the middle of the night and stepping on them.

Leaving them on the floor with the power supply cord plugged into them and not paying attention tripping on the power cord and
ripping the power jack off of the circuit board.

Improperly opening the lid tweaking the LCD or handling the laptop by the LCD and cracking it or just plain dropping it.

Hey they're kids it happens expect it. :lol:

OK we've had a few hard drives fail and power supply's fail from age and normal wear and tear.

If proper care and maintenance is preformed laptops will provide excellent service regardless of what brand they are.

I view them as disposable item and when they no longer work around our house I pull the memory and the hard drives and use the hard drives in my Frankenstein build desktops.

My 2 cents worth. :)
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I have only had one laptop actually fail.

I went to sleep in my recliner, and laid it over to the side and let it lean against the side table.
the dogs, or me touching the side table, caused the laptop to slide down underneath the recliner.

when I went to get up, the recliner would not go forward like it should.
so, I just rared back and jumped forward to make it go forward.

Crunch......... one screen broken.

changed my habits after that, clear off a space on the side table so they can lay on top secure and away from dogs, my feet, and recliners.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

My Acer D255E (although really a "netbook") gave me years of good service as my travelling companion; daily use out & about.

Although the case was starting to fall apart it was still in regular daily use until the keyboard controller packed up (the trackpad hadn't worked for a while by then but I normally use a mouse anyway) and I carried on using it with a USB or bluetooth KB until my ThinkPad arrived in the post. Might see if I can do something with the old Acer.

I've dealt with a few Acer laptops and they always seemed of decent enough quality. It was the OS on them which was the issue, or the usual monitor cable failure which happens with many different laptops.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
antikythera
Level 4
Level 4

Post by antikythera »

The monitor cables indeed get a hammering due to how they are routed. You'd have thought a wireless display tech would be used these days but it's cost driven still even in a £2500 model.

I have an old Acer Tablet Iconia One 7 which was reasonably well made for a cheapo Tablet that still I use it for book reading, word games and the occasional TV or film. It also makes for a handy combined TV guide and remote control for the Freesat box via their Android app and will control the Denon AV Receiver too for that matter.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Acers are built for Windoze, maybe that's the reason why it's hard to install on Acers.

Interesting note, Look here You'll be surprised what Intel's doing!
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

DoodMann wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:56 pm
Acers are built for Windoze, maybe that's the reason why it's hard to install on Acers.
Yup.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

I bought a new Gateway about 8 years ago with Windows 8. The spacebar and a couple of letters , B and maybe Q didn't work at all. I bought from a drug store chain so it would have required mailing it in to manufacturer and so after watching a few videos I pulled off the keyboard and played with the ribbon cable but that didn't fix it so I just bought a cordless mouse / keyboard and lived with it for a few years and I think it was only after I installed Linux Mint that I accidentally noticed that spacebar and all other keys now worked. This made me realize it was Windows related and so I booted to Windows and eventually found out that a certain key press cycled the spacebar and a couple of letters on and off. It was the weirdest thing and I think the key was one of the arrows beside the numbers but nothing in the documentation, no help from Gateway.
One other thing was that the scroll bar on the right side of the trackpad sucked and still does in Windows as it only moves page up on down if pointer is on webpage scroll on far right. With Linux I use this all the time as I can scroll page up and down with pointer anywhere on the page. This one was designed for Linux. :D
I mention Gateway because I bought a Acer from a thrift store a couple of years ago as is as it looked identical and it turned out that they are essentially the same computer and batteries are identical and I often swap them out because one charge port is pooched.
UEFI was initially a pain in the butt but it's a piece of cake installing Linux now.

Return to “Open chat”