Computer rage. How angry have you gotten at your computing machine?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tuxoneseven
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Computer rage. How angry have you gotten at your computing machine?

Post by tuxoneseven »

Not me, but as a child I've heard a lot of swear words and seen a printer fly down the stair case :lol:
Active Python user - PyQt
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

tuxoneseven wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:40 am Not me, but as a child I've heard a lot of swear words and seen a printer fly down the stair case :lol:
One of the most satisfying sounds I ever heard was, after replacing my worthless inkjet printer with a laser printer, was the loud THUNK the inkjet made when it hit the bottom of the dumpster I lobbed it into.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

The last up-date MS ever dumped on me! They wiped out my entire OS, somehow. They fixed it via a remote reinstall and right after that I switched over to LM and I have not looked back! My spouse can still be heard having conniption fits as Windows regularly messes up. Makes me grateful for LM every time I hear him bellow!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
nefariouseden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nefariouseden »

JTemple wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:37 pm The last up-date MS ever dumped on me! They wiped out my entire OS, somehow.
Similar thing happened to me, except the update system was just completely broken. I tried every suggestion before contacting support, and the only last thing they could suggest to me was to completely reinstall the whole OS. I was a little short with the poor representative just trying to help me and I shouldn't have been, but I was just appalled that this was the only thing I could possibly do to "fix" the issue.

Aside from that though, I haven't been physically aggressive with my machines. Unless we're talking about my old, dead laptop, whose fan would make a jarring whirring noise until you smacked it.
...so sayeth Eden.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

nefariouseden wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 pm
JTemple wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:37 pm The last up-date MS ever dumped on me! They wiped out my entire OS, somehow.
Similar thing happened to me, except the update system was just completely broken. I tried every suggestion before contacting support, and the only last thing they could suggest to me was to completely reinstall the whole OS. I was a little short with the poor representative just trying to help me and I shouldn't have been, but I was just appalled that this was the only thing I could possibly do to "fix" the issue.

Aside from that though, I haven't been physically aggressive with my machines. Unless we're talking about my old, dead laptop, whose fan would make a jarring whirring noise until you smacked it.
Well, the only "physically aggressive" thing I did was promptly give the boot to MS Windows by going full LM. The only thing I missed after that move was losing Photoshop. I will resolve that by getting a PC dedicated to Photoshop and just not take it online. No more updates and using offline means no risk of nasty stuff getting in.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

-- We'll I've had my moments here and there thoroughout the past two decades, but that is nothing compared to AVGN's rage on youtube ( Angry Video Game Nerd AKA Cinemassacre) His nerd rage was over 9000. He's pretty much chilled out some in the recent years so it's his older content you'll have to dig through.

Some of my favorites by him were the Batman games ( a two part deal) and Ninja Gaiden --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
nefariouseden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nefariouseden »

JTemple wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:03 pm The only thing I missed after that move was losing Photoshop. I will resolve that by getting a PC dedicated to Photoshop and just not take it online. No more updates and using offline means no risk of nasty stuff getting in.
I would sooner recommend GIMP if you're willing to learn the interface. I have used it since I was little and just starting out with digital art. I don't know what you specifically use Photoshop for, but in my graphic design class we used it, and I found it wasn't that different than GIMP and at least could do the things I wanted it to do.
...so sayeth Eden.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

GIMP can pretty much do anything that Photoshop can do but it's interface is drastically different from Photoshop's (and may be less intuitive, depending on each user), which is a spoiler for many Photoshop users. Not everyone is willing and/or has the time to spend needed to pretty much start all over again learning how to use GIMP. For those willing to invest in the time to learn how to use GIMP, there are several YouTube video tutorial series on how to use it.

When migrating from Windows to Linux, one has to not just look for programs to directly replace their old Windows programs, one also has to be willing to explore new and, often, even radically different work flows to accomplish what one did in Windows.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

nefariouseden wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:22 am
JTemple wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:03 pm The only thing I missed after that move was losing Photoshop. I will resolve that by getting a PC dedicated to Photoshop and just not take it online. No more updates and using offline means no risk of nasty stuff getting in.
I would sooner recommend GIMP if you're willing to learn the interface. I have used it since I was little and just starting out with digital art. I don't know what you specifically use Photoshop for, but in my graphic design class we used it, and I found it wasn't that different than GIMP and at least could do the things I wanted it to do.
I've been playing with GIMP for a year. I find it cumbersome and really don't care for the interface. To relearn all that I had previously learned over 20 years does not appeal to me. Also, I still have the class room book for Photoshop. If I've forgotten something or want to do things I had not tried before, I can just open the book. There is no such instruction manual for GIMP. At the present time, I must be forced by necessity to use GIMP and am almost never happy with the result. (My apologies to all GIMP fans. I do know most people love GIMP, I am just so familiar and at ease with Photoshop.)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

GIMP is my 'go to' app for cropping, scaling images....
or changing the brightness/contrast levels.

Beyond that, I rarely do anything with it, but I do use it multiple times a day.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

JTemple wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:34 am
nefariouseden wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:22 am
I've been playing with GIMP for a year. I find it cumbersome and really don't care for the interface. To relearn all that I had previously learned over 20 years does not appeal to me. Also, I still have the class room book for Photoshop. If I've forgotten something or want to do things I had not tried before, I can just open the book. There is no such instruction manual for GIMP. At the present time, I must be forced by necessity to use GIMP and am almost never happy with the result. (My apologies to all GIMP fans. I do know most people love GIMP, I am just so familiar and at ease with Photoshop.)
It's hard to give up something one is familiar and comfortable with but sometimes we have no choice.
Jeannie

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I shot a computer in Reno just to watch it die.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Open Chat”