AT&T to switch off 3G and standard Telco in 2022...

Chat about just about anything else
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: AT&T to switch off 3G and standard Telco in 2022...

Post by cliffcoggin »

GS3 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:06 pm
As far as I know, In Europe, Africa and Asia, 3G is being discontinued but 2G (GSM) is not going away any time soon.
2G can't go away yet. I am still waiting for it to arrive just 35 miles from London.
Cliff Coggin
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:54 am
2G can't go away yet. I am still waiting for it to arrive just 35 miles from London.
I am not sure how to interpret that because I was using 2G in London twenty years ago. Can you explain?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

GS3 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:57 am
cliffcoggin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:54 am
I am not sure how to interpret that because I was using 2G in London twenty years ago. Can you explain?
It means no signal of any sort in this rural area. Only towns and cities are well served by a mobile signal in Britain. The network suppliers will tell you otherwise, but they all lie.
Cliff Coggin
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:29 am
It means no signal of any sort in this rural area. Only towns and cities are well served by a mobile signal in Britain. The network suppliers will tell you otherwise, but they all lie.
Ah, OK, gotcha.

So the situation is pretty much like in every other country :)
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

While I'm aware that the U.S. has basically banned Huawei from doing business here (one could hardly miss this fact) I still have done trepidations relative to 5G network components. I'd rather let some time pass and find out if anyone else is compromising the hardware. If recent times have taught us anything, it's that there's always another scandal waiting around the corner. Besides, I'm very happy with 4G, and am in no particular hurry to upgrade.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Jeff13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jeff13 »

My wife and I are two of the folks who still have/had 3G only phones. I looked up reviews for my phone, a Samsung A737 and see it dates from 2007. Thirteen years of service from a 50 dollar phone isn't bad. I view the decision to turn off 3G as annoying but inevitable.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:32 am
Not going to affect me at all. ;) AT&T can turn their entire network off, and it still won't affect me! :lol:
you must have that new fangled Air Gap internet device. :lol:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

Very happy here in rural Wales with a 2G phone.
Version: LM 20.0 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Terryphi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:32 am
Very happy here in rural Wales with a 2G phone.
Yes, my impression after what I have been reading because of this thread is that 2G-GSM will remain active for the foreseeable future in Europe and Asia where it became a widespread single standard but in America it never really became standardised and that is why it is being discontinued.

I am using a dual SIM LG-A275 which was given to me by someone who likes to have the latest. I have never bought a single phone and I have quite a collection. The LG-A275 (why do they hide the model under the battery in tiny print?) was launched in 2012 and when I talk the other person can hear me and when they talk I can hear them. The battery was supposed to be old already when I got it but I am still using it and have not replaced it. It lasts over a week but the truth is I don't talk too much. I don't answer most calls I don't recognise because they probably want to sell me something. I don't answer most calls I do recognise because they probably want to ask a favor or borrow money. It's a great little phone. I can look at the screen and ignore phone calls all day long. After a week or ten days the battery runs out and it takes me another two or three days to realise it and charge it. A great little 2G phone and since I got it free the price was right too.
SMG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by SMG »

My phone is capable of 4G yet there are lots of times I'm only receiving 3G with AT&T. I've even run into places surrounded by businesses and people where I have no signal. I've not been that impressed with my AT&T service, but I don't use my phone that much so I haven't looked at switching.

My hands are small and I was able to find a small smartphone, but it was only GSM so I had to leave Sprint. CDMA coverage with Sprint meant the only time I didn't have service was when no one had service and I travelled all over the USA with that phone. I had coverage on several overseas trips as well. I loved that Palm Treo--one of the first gen "smart" phones. All the internet changes meant the web browser became pretty much non-functional by the mid-teens and then Sprint decided to make all my calls roaming about the time the keys had to be punched extra hard to work, so I gave up on it two years ago. Had it as my only phone for nine years, so it was an adjustment to my current baby blue (Unihertz Jelly Pro).

I may have to go to a flip phone when I need to replace baby blue. The phone are getting ridiculously large--even Apply no longer makes small phones.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

I'm on Verizon, and have reported here that 3g is now history.

about mid-day, visited with a friend to try and resolve Internet problems with AT&T wireless, we have the same LTE modems.

anyway, it seems that his location is sited poorly for getting a good signal strength, so I thought I would look to see if Verizon would be of any help to him.

Nope, but I noticed something immediately, while 3g is absent, 2g is alive and well.

2g 4g-400.jpg
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by SMG »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 pm

about mid-day, visited with a friend to try and resolve Internet problems with AT&T wireless, we have the same LTE modems.

anyway, it seems that his location is sited poorly for getting a good signal strength, so I thought I would look to see if Verizon would be of any help to him.

Nope, but I noticed something immediately, while 3g is absent, 2g is alive and well.

2g 4g-400.jpg
Interesting. It's my understanding that 2G with Verizon is CDMA and that service was supposed to end January 1st of this year. I don't know where this was located, but I recall that my Sprint phone would have service in non-Sprint areas that were also non-Verizon areas. While those two national carriers had CDMA service, so did some regional carriers. You may be in a location with a regional carrier with whom Verizon has a roaming share contract.

I used the celltower site you mentioned earlier and the area where I noticed no service is one with AT&T towers. However, there is one tower which doesn't have all the bands that the surrounding towers do. My phone supposedly has all the AT&T bands, but maybe the phone (or AT&T) isn't switching bands to keep service. I am going that way today and will try to remember to check. Radio receivers for specific bands are definitely a key issue with newer phones.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

SMG wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:08 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 pm

and yes, VZW is CDMA which is one of the reasons that it punches through building walls so well, compared to GSM.

2g 4g-400.jpg
Interesting. It's my understanding that 2G with Verizon is CDMA and that service was supposed to end January 1st of this year. I don't know where this was located, but I recall that my Sprint phone would have service in non-Sprint areas that were also non-Verizon areas. While those two national carriers had CDMA service, so did some regional carriers. You may be in a location with a regional carrier with whom Verizon has a roaming share contract.

I used the celltower site you mentioned earlier and the area where I noticed no service is one with AT&T towers. However, there is one tower which doesn't have all the bands that the surrounding towers do. My phone supposedly has all the AT&T bands, but maybe the phone (or AT&T) isn't switching bands to keep service. I am going that way today and will try to remember to check. Radio receivers for specific bands are definitely a key issue with newer phones.
I live in Oologah, Oklahoma, and Verizon has a new tower sited on 400 Rd ( which continues on west from Hwy 88 where it crosses US-169 )

the tower is about 400-500 feet west of US-169.
I met with the tower crew there about 2 months ago as they were tearing down the old antenna rack, and hoisting up the new Antenna rack to mount on that tower...

The tower site can be seen in this image, the Fire Station is Identified on the map, and the VZW tower site's entrance looks like it could be an extension of the driveway ramps from the fire station.

If you are in town give me a phone call, we can meet at the Heavenly dough pizzeria or the Subway/Daylight donut shop just north of that intersection 400 feet or so.

918...613...95.................... sent you a PM message

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by SMG »

I used the celltower site and changed the location to my current one (which is in the forecast cone for Tropical Storm Isaias) to see which towers had which bands.

I haven't been travelling for several years, but will keep your offer in mind should things change for me and I land in your cell tower area.

I did check my reception on my trip today. Never lost the signal and it was 4G each time I checked. Maybe AT&T was in the process of upgrading that area and that's why I had some dead zones in the past. Maybe that means there's hope for the poor reception in the area I was at yesterday...
LM20.0 Cinnamon
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

SMG wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:41 pm
I used the celltower site and changed the location to my current one (which is in the forecast cone for Tropical Storm Isaias) to see which towers had which bands.

I haven't been travelling for several years, but will keep your offer in mind should things change for me and I land in your cell tower area.

I did check my reception on my trip today. Never lost the signal and it was 4G each time I checked. Maybe AT&T was in the process of upgrading that area and that's why I had some dead zones in the past. Maybe that means there's hope for the poor reception in the area I was at yesterday...
1st, the AT&T Towers for Oologah were upgraded last year. I talked to the crew at the AT&T site located at Hwy 88 and 4010 Rd which is where the old Saloon used to be..... that has been sold, and is now going to be a RV parking lot for travelers, probably be ready by next spring. They put in all of the utilities to each site. Power, water. don't know if any sewer outlets will be available, doubt it, as they are on a Septic Tank.
There is a US Army Corps of Engineers free dump site just a half mile south of there, just north of the dam.

Same as you did,
I looked at where the Verizon cell tower was "reported to be" which is on top of the Post Office in downtown Oologah :mrgreen:

So, I zoomed in on the actual tower location in Google Maps, did a "What's here" and got the real Lat/Long and then changed the tower site to that location.

I don't know how long it takes for their records to record those changes?
wow! I just now, went back to that cell mapper site, and it is showing my changes exactly!!!

that is pretty damn trick.

I use this app to show what is available around me, it is darn good when you are trying to help someone with network issues.
especially trying to install a WiFi Extender and you need a 'hotspot' in their house to let the Extender get a good sniff off the WiFi router

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dget&hl=en

Love the display

in this pix, it is showing the Signal Strength from my in house, VZW Network Extender, as VZW does not penetrate my home, I am in the 'Cone of Silence' from our tower.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by SMG »

Just because I said I had a smart phone doesn't mean I use apps. :D I have one app for taking notes (shopping list, etc.) That signal app does sound like a cool one, though. I have a tiny phone which means a tiny battery, so I minimize to only have run what I little I need to have running. I use the phone for sporadic web searches while on the go, but I use it mostly for voice, text, and taking short notes/shopping lists. I don't even use the GPS.
Portreve wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:15 am
1. Will there be 4G/5G flip phones for all those out there who refuse to use a smart phone?
AT&T has some:

Sonim XP3 which has all kinds of LTE bands available as well as every wifi I think there is (there's also a version without the camera). It has this for a review from Happy Jack MO, "This phone does exactly what I want it to do. It's a phone. It has a replaceable battery!!! It starts when I open it, works great with my Bluetooth earbud, fits easy in a back pocket, is rugged as a tank and I'd need to take a hammer to it to break the screen. My Phone!"

Cingular Flip IV is apparently a bit more complicated to use although it's not quite as heavy as the Sonim.

There's also a Samsung folding screen "flip phone", but that looks like something one would have to be careful with. Plus it is still pretty wide even when folded, so not sure how comfortable it would be to hold.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

My sister rides horses, used to be a quarter horse trainer.

she tried a couple of 'smartphones' and they broke, or were in the duffel bag when the horse flipped over backwards and on top of her.... she was unable to call for help :(

one of the group noticed she was not trailing as close as usual and turned around and went back to find her..
had to call in Life Flight to get her to the hospital, broke a lot of bones...

she just recently found a super basic flip phone that has nothing on it but a keypad, and she has made a holster to Velcro it to her wrist... she has had enough of not being able to call for help....

4 weeks ago, she fell off the back side of her bed, and was wedged between the bed frame and the wall... Unable to reach the smartphone laying on the bedside table even though it was just above her head.... would not have been able to see the phone anyway.....

11 hours later, her husband starts looking for her ( very long story there, he was out bailing hay ), she sleeps in the basement because their HVAC is not good enough to cool their house in Utah heat... it should have been replaced years ago, but horse farms don't make a lot of money.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Bobb24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobb24 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:01 am
AT&T announced that over a year ago.

some jerk up and decided to republish it, and wrote it in such a way that it sounded like all current phones would be junk.

when in truth, all cellphones for the last several years already have 4g capability.
there are precious few cellphones still in operation that only have 3g capability.

5g is a joke, it will only work in very small, compact Big Metro areas.....
the 5g signals on the higher frequency bands have a max range of a 1,000 feet or so.

T-Mobile has leased the 700 mHz frequency band from Dish Network to push a version of 5g nationwide.
but, in truth, they have not installed enough equipment to be of benefit to the masses.

5g will never be useful nationwide, the USA is just too huge in geographical areas with low population density.
5G is coming and in a big way. The entire future planning by those that shape our future requires it. This is a part of the 4th industrial revolution. Here is a link to an interactive chart. It will take you as deep into the abyss as you want to go. Seems very well organized. Click any of the topics and the chart expands.
https://intelligence.weforum.org/topics ... blications
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

Bobb24 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 am

5G is coming and in a big way. The entire future planning by those that shape our future requires it. This is a part of the 4th industrial revolution. Here is a link to an interactive chart. It will take you as deep into the abyss as you want to go. Seems very well organized. Click any of the topics and the chart expands.
I went to that Website, have seen it before, but lost the link.

I tried to get it to explain how it was going to work in the Waste Lands of out-lying Rural Areas, and it only says "Urban" meaning around Metro areas...

the matter of the fact is, the carriers cannot afford the Equipment Expense to install 5g cell-towers in ultra low populated Rural Areas....

I am using a wireless carrier to give me 4g LTE internet, and that is not overly good here.

AT&T is my LTE provider 99.998% of the time, except for this morning when I got hit by a "lack of payment" to the account. That occurred because I forgot that my ISP billings are on my Debit Card, and that was hacked about 8 weeks ago, and I now have a new Debit Card with a different account number on it.... oops! Transaction failed. Had to call up support and fix that billing issue, it is now back in service.

I had to turn on my cellphone's Hotspot for Verizon ( thank goodness my Internet and phones are NOT on the same carrier )
Verizon gives me much better Internet service, but their Plan Structure sucks big time, I cannot afford them, and they do NOT offer Unlimited LTE plans period.

Here is a bird's eye view of how slow things are in the Rural Outback, when the cell tower is not visible " Line of Sight "

ISP.png
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Bobb24 wrote:
5G is coming and in a big way.
This is like someone a hundred years ago saying "underground trains are coming and in a big way". They will be implemented where population density makes them profitable, not everywhere.
Bobb24 wrote:
The entire future planning by those that shape our future requires it. This is a part of the 4th industrial revolution.
"The entire future planning by those that shape our future requires it.?" What is that even supposed to mean? Who shapes our future? Because I know exactly and precisely who shapes my future and she says she has no interest in 5G or in having a microwave oven connected to the Internet or gossiping with the refrigerator behind her back.

Bobb24 wrote:
Here is a link to an interactive chart. It will take you as deep into the abyss as you want to go. Seems very well organized. Click any of the topics and the chart expands.
A lot of interesting stuff with distant, little or no relation to the deployment of 5G in rural areas of the world. I mean, we can make it all about 5G but I believe the impact of 5G on the treatment of dental cavities of the LGTBI taxicab drivers' union of the town of Lower West Undershirt, MO, (pop. 1024) is going to be minimal.

5 G will be implemented in big cities but I think most rural areas of the world will not be getting 5G any time soon and 4G will be carrying the bulk of the data.

Due to 5G being better suited for high density areas I believe China will have a much bigger user base and deployment in five or ten years. Europe will be next and the USA will trail with 5G deployed in all the big cities but not in the vast low-populated areas of the country.

We shall see.

Return to “Open chat”