First internet search word?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

First internet search word?

Post by kelevra »

What was the very first internet search word you entered? Be truthful and no vulgarity, please.

I was in my second year of college in the early 90s. Being a young male, mine was sex. I was using a Unix terminal at the time and nothing sexy revealed itself. "surprise, surprise, surprise..."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Re: First internet search word?

Post by DoodMann »

"Google" :lol:
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

I do not remember
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

kelevra wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:53 am
I was in my second year of college in the early 90s. Being a young male, mine was sex. I was using a Unix terminal at the time and nothing sexy revealed itself. "surprise, surprise, surprise..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

"Star Wars" that was in the early 90's.
One of my friends is a tech head and the first I knew that had internet.
He had an ISDN connection, which at the time was pretty fancy, because he could use the internet AND the phone at the same time.
Pamela Anderson was often searched, also Gillian Anderson, whom I had a minor crush on during the "X-files" days.
Later I got various modems 14400, 28800 and 56K's, then cable modems came to my town(1,5 mbs!)
Again later ADSL and now its fiber 400/400 mbit/s.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Not quite my first search but certainly one the earliest: I was looking for information on a man by the name of Cox. I leave to your imagination what the results were.

PS. What I wanted, and what took me somewhat longer to find, was this https://www.submerged.co.uk/reading-room-bought-a-navy/
Cliff Coggin
PratyayMondal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PratyayMondal »

"Prawn" on google - that was 7yrs back... obviously in secret
Everyone back at the school said that "prawn" was some hot stuff and everyone watches it. That had been my search word for few months.
Either way my dad never recharged the mobile broadband, if not for my school projects. Once he caught me skimming through some delicious crispy crustaceans, he seemed to be more clueless than me :mrgreen:
It took me almost an year to know that I was spelling it wrong
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Oh goodness, I couldn't even begin to remember what it might have been. Of course, when I was first on the actual legitimate Internet, there were a bunch of search engines and we even had an Internet yellow pages (can you believe it?) I even had a copy at one point.

I regularly used Yahoo, Dogpile, Excite, Lycos, and goodness knows what else.

In 2001 while in a class at a local vo-tech school, I was introduced to Google, and after a bit of using it, I stopped bothering with any other search engine.

I don't remember the exact first thing I used Google to search for, but one of the first things was taking an FCC ID number and seeing if it could tell me what device it went to.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

PratyayMondal wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:32 pm It took me almost an year to know that I was spelling it wrong
I love prawn... :lol:
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I remember when AltaVista first became available in 1995, and it was my search engine of choice until yahoo! (forever may there be a pox on your house for what you did to AltaVista) ruined it. The WWW was still pretty young, and most of the naughty bits were in the alt.* groups on UseNet.

I know they were not my first searches, but two earliest searches I remember was for the address to Fogo de Chão, Dallas-Uptown (I wanted to impress my brother-in-law) and to find out about "Kibo."
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I can only remember my last internet search word...

My very first internet contact / search was a textbased contact in the early nineties. I simply saw some lines of text scroll over the screen and I was delighted that I had made contact with my internetprovider for the very first time. I had NO clue as what to do with my first internet connection, besides visiting my internet provider's homepage. But hey, I was thrilled anyway...
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I was thinking last night about what if my grandfather (whom I never met) were here today and whether he would be able to cope.

This, then, let me to think: if I could grab people at random from, for example, the year 1960, and bring them straight here, what would they make if modern life? How would they react if I handed them this little thing called a smart phone and told them they could use it to find it pretty much anything they ever wanted to know?

Then, I started thinking about the converse: what if I took someone between the ages of 16-18 and dropped them off in 1960: could they cope? I mean, I was born in the 70s, and I know I could "handle" 1960, not that I would really want to live back then, but I certainly would have the life experiences to do so. But could someone from today?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”