Chat about just about anything else
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Rainbows. Rainbows? Rainbows!

Post by Moem »

BG405 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:17 pm
partially obfuscating swear-words is also against Forum rules ...
Ayup, it is. Gentlefolks, it's Sunday... let the mods enjoy what's left of the weekend, please?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

xenopeek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:27 am
Howdy folks. We strive for this board to be a welcoming place to all. To that effect some words commonly used for swearing at others or being abusive towards others are censored, as per forum rule viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314#i2. In that context we're satisfied the replacement words serve their purpose.
I have to disagree. Replacing foul language with substitutes can cause confusion for readers, not to mention it comes across as being more childish than the use of the offending word. It would be better to just not allow a post to be posted until the offending word has been removed. Also, the user should be informed what the offending word is.

Also, auto censors often do not take into account certain words have multiple meanings, only one of which may be offensive. One example is a four letter word that starts with "c" and ends with "k". It can refer to a male bird, such as a rooster. It can mean the action one takes to prepare a pistol for firing. In the past tense, it can describe something that has become tilted to one side. It also can crudely refer to a male anatomical part. Only one of four meanings could be offensive yet auto censors will always edit it out since they are incapable of determining which definition is being used. It's my not so humble opinion that words like that should be moderated by human moderators, not an auto censor.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

The male chicken doesn't get censored - even when combined with other words that would cement the meaning and normally be considered very offensive and most definitely derogatory.

I tried earlier.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

OMG, folks, this thread was intended to be full of mirth and make people smile (and hopefully also laugh).

I think, like, maybe one person kind of got it.

I love how the word "rainbows" replaces any form of the F-word, so far as I can tell, and all I was trying to do is have a bit of fun.

Was it that difficult for you folks to divine my intentions?

EDIT: One other thing, and for the record, the title to this thread is not censored profanity. I actually typed the word "rainbows" three times, once as a statement, once as a question, and once as an exclamation.
Last edited by Portreve on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Double rainbows made me giggle.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I did find it amusing myself; sorry I didn't indicate that at any point!

BTW I have seen double rainbows on several occasions. Used to do a lot of hiking and hill-walking at one time. :)

.. Guess no-one's seen ckuster-rainbows however .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

— Voltaire
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Brilliant! :lol: :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I like rainbows, so if rainbows replace rainbows, I'm happy. If you cannot express yourself without resorting to rainbows, then your language isn't particularly colourful. Of course you can interpret this in any way you so desire, you can also call me what you like, but I am not one of the rainbow brigade, nor am I a greenie! ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Mhoxie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:08 am
xenopeek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:07 am
Rainbows is what the word censor replaces certain swear words with.
Oh, thank god. For a second there I thought I was a character in a Philip K. Dick novel.
I haven't seen any electric sheep around here recently, so I think you should be reasonably safe.

— Voltaire

Return to “Open chat”