Replace Laptop every x years?

Chat about just about anything else
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Replace Laptop every x years?

Post by trope »

Since laptops have a limited lifespan and hard drives can go bad without warning (correct me if I'm wrong), does anyone just replace laptops every x years? What would x be? Or do you wait for errors to start occurring?
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Replace Laptop every x years?

Post by Pjotr »

Just ensure that your documents etc. are backed up well, on an external medium. Then you can simply keep using the old fossil until it falls apart. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I guess everyone has a different opinion, but my thinking is that a hard disk / SSD (or any other component) could fail at any time, new or not.

Keep backups, and keep the laptop until it either fails and is economically not worth the repair, or until it's performance capabilities are not able to satisfactorily match whatever applications you install on it.

My laptop (Dell Latitude) is 6 years old and going strong. Will be keeping it until one of the above happens. I think the trick is to buy something solid to start with and it'll serve you well. Not sure I get the 'lifespan' thing - manufacturers will typically give you a 1-3 year warranty but we all expect more lifetime than that. [Edit: unless you buy Apple :twisted: ]
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

In general, I'm in the "use it until you can't" camp. Now, "can't" in this context could be a hardware failure, physical features you genuinely need or would benefit from, or system requirements have escalated to the point that what you've got just isn't supported any more.

I personally ran LM up through 19.3 on a 2011 MacBook Pro, and the only reason I've bought a new computer is I wanted a proper desktop instead of just using a laptop in "desktop replacement mode". It still runs just fine, and in fact during the time it was running LM, I pulled the hard disk and replaced it with an SSD, tremendously un-burdening it, and considering the generation of hardware it belongs to, it positively screams.

Personally, I think most folks who replace their hardware on some sort of arbitrary deadline are a bunch of mindless, idiotic sheep. But, hey, that's just me. Maybe I'd be a lot more wise and forward thinking if only I had a bank account which was stuffed to the gills with money.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

Generally I use my laptops until they die but have backups of all my important data. My machines are durable business notebooks and even bought used.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I use them until they are no longer useful. i.e. so far behind the times it's like extracting gold from seawater. Or, they break! There are only three rules to computing of any variety, Backup, Backup, Backup!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

A 2010, Acer / eMachines M350 we use while travelling for email access. The WinXP was replaced a while back with Mint Mate 32bit on an SSD and RAM is 2GB.

A Toshiba Tecra "borrowed" and used for teaching or demos. It is probably a little newer as it originally had Win Vista (I think). It runs Mint Cinnamon 19. We hand these out to those who need a laptop or as a demo machine for Mint in place of Windows - try it and if they like it, install Mint on their computers.

So, a couple of decade old laptops and no need to replace them for a long time yet. Our main work is done on desktops.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm
... it's like extracting gold from seawater...
Squeezing blood out of a stone is much more difficult.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

as most of my stuff, is backed up to some other external drive,
& thus it's an case of updating the Operating System every few years, or so.

at the same time, also to evaluate, how the hardware is going,
& maybe update the memory / drive, if needed .. usually is not required.

and if I;d not have so many PCs, then maybe also looking ar an replacement,
- after 7 - 10 years, or there-about . ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:02 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Agreed, but I never get that far. If I can get gold from sea water (and you can), it's too much like hard work for me. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I keep my PC's until they die. I had an old 286 i built (around 2003 iirc) specifically to play Daggerfall, but sadly had to leave that when we last moved.

I have XP era hardware (PC and Laptops) still going strong, and my current Linux Mint machines include an old Vista era Acer Travelmate. My sequence of PC gaming rigs:

Compaq 286 (served me well from around 2003 to 2005) - left behind before move.
AMD Athlon FX-60 socket 939 (from 2005 to current) running XP and stuff like Crusader Kings II.
Intel i5 3350P mini-ITX (from around 2014 to current) running W7; currently my littleun's 'minecraft PC' .
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (from last year) my main gaming rig and dual boot (W7/LM) setup.

I don't see myself needing a new build for decades to come (the CPU and GPU can upgrade a few steps easily on that last build).

So basically i keep stuff a long time until it dies.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Eh? I've been buying nothing but refurbs for my home laptops and I get a good 3-5 years out of them. My son is still using a thinkpad x220 with a core i3-2xxx. that must be 8 years old at least. He ripped out the spacebar, but the thing still runs.

I use an HP elitebook with an AMD a12-8800 APU from 2015 still running fine. Upgraded with an SSD. My wife has Lenovo with one of the those core M-5y thinggies going strong.

Buy quality business class laptops (not the cheap crap you find at Best Buy/costco/Staples, and you will be fine for years.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

I also have old laptops working perfectly.
My main is a business class, maybe 7-9 years old(former Win10) running LM20 Cinnamon, my secondary is a Win7 era running LMDE.
A third has XP on it, just for nostalgic reasons and running old games, its very rarely booted up though.
Backup is on my NAS.
HDD's has until now been the main reasons for defects.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Yeah I'm more likely to ditch a laptop for obsolescence than mechanical failure. I have one left that has 4gigs of ddr3 with no empty ram slots. That's the first to go.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:02 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Nonsense. I do that all the time. In fact, here's a picture from just yesterday:

Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
vince77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vince77 »

One can use their laptops for as long as they want until they are still operating. The data is the only factor involved here I guess. So I usually store the backup of my important files on an external hard drive from time to time. So that way even if my laptop is dead I am not losing anything important.

I have an HP laptop which is almost 5 years old and I am still using it. If you can afford then you should change it every 2 years I guess. That way you don't have to keep any backup.
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

vince77 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:39 am
One can use their laptops for as long as they want until they are still operating. The data is the only factor involved here I guess. So I usually store the backup of my important files on an external hard drive from time to time. So that way even if my laptop is dead I am not losing anything important.

I have an HP laptop which is almost 5 years old and I am still using it. If you can afford then you should change it every 2 years I guess. That way you don't have to keep any backup.
Oh yes you do need backups, always, as even a 1 year old hard drive can suffer catastrophic failure; it may be unusual but it happens and with no backups - - -?
vince77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vince77 »

ajgreeny wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 am

Oh yes you do need backups, always, as even a 1 year old hard drive can suffer catastrophic failure; it may be unusual but it happens and with no backups - - -?
I wonder what causes these catastrophic failure too early in some cases? Like you said 1 year old drives can suffer a failure sometimes. Is it over-heating or lifespan hours?
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

vince77 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:47 am
ajgreeny wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 am

I wonder what causes these catastrophic failure too early in some cases? Like you said 1 year old drives can suffer a failure sometimes. Is it over-heating or lifespan hours?
I think the majority of premature hard drive failures come from either cheap drives or overheating. Many times my clients will bring me a laptop for repair and I find the exhaust vent absolutely clogged with fuzz. Not only does the processor / video / chipset overheat but the hard drive tends to also.

The main reasons I see for the clogging of the vents is they operate in a dirty environment or they take canned air and blow the dust back inside the laptop which causes the fan to slow down / stop or clog up more.

Disassemble and clean is the only way.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Return to “Open chat”