I wish the Dictionaries that check spelling were half arse decent

Chat about just about anything else
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

I wish the Dictionaries that check spelling were half arse decent

Post by AZgl1500 »

Just now, I proof read a paragraph and the word 'sense' was used wrong, it should have been 'since'.

I changed the 'e' to an 'i' and the spelling checker would NOT suggest 'since'

I have run into this situation over and over and over, every day, and it just rankles me to no end.

I hate to say it, but Microsoft Word beats the hell out any Linux application for grammar and spelling checks.

There is a special program for Windows and MacOS only, that is made for authors to help them catch errors like this, and grammar, and it also suggests a full sentence in lieu of the one you wrote. I emailed that company https://prowritingaid.com/Free and they did not even bother to reply to me. They don't give a shiit about Linux at all.

but all that aside, I just want the Spelling Checker in Linux to suggest more word forms.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I wish the Dictionaries that check spelling were half arse decent

Post by RollyShed »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 pm
Just now, I proof read a paragraph and the word 'sense' was used wrong, it should have been 'since'.
I presume you mean syntax checking as both those words are correctly spelled. Also "wrong" should be "wrongly" or "incorrectly" - sorry, being picky.

Gmail is now doing syntax checking as you write. Can the document be read in google docs?
PratyayMondal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PratyayMondal »

This seems good: https://languagetool.org/
You can use it with firefox, ms word, libre office and such...
I have never used it, as I mostly rely on Google docs online editor, but everyone out here hates google.
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Post by deck_luck »

RollyShed wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
I presume you mean syntax checking as both those words are correctly spelled. Also "wrong" should be "wrongly" or "incorrectly" - sorry, being picky.
Now, should we place the adverb before or after the verb? :wink:
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

RollyShed wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 am
AZgl1500 wrote:

Gmail is now doing syntax checking as you write. Can the document be read in google docs?
yes, the word 'sense' was spelled correctly in the document, which in this particular case of a post that I was editing.
when I changed the first letter 'e' to and 'i', the spelling checker SHOULD HAVE then offered up "since" as an alternate to choose from, but it never, ever happens.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

PratyayMondal wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:02 am
This seems good: https://languagetool.org/
You can use it with firefox, ms word, libre office and such...
I have never used it, as I mostly rely on Google docs online editor, but everyone out here hates google.
Not sure, but I think I tried that once before, and it aggravated me because it takes you elsewhere for correcshuns and here I purposely miss-spelled corrections and all it did was to underline the word. Right clicking on the word did not bring up alternative spellings.....

I will leave it installed for a bit, but the last time I tried it, I discarded as a useless addon.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

I have to ask why, if you know what you want while the computer does not, you allow the computer to change what is written?
Cliff Coggin
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:44 am
I have to ask why, if you know what you want while the computer does not, you allow the computer to change what is written?
I think you missed the point.

if a word is miss-spelled and I right click on it, the current Suggested Words list rarely includes more than one tense or version of the sound of that word.

since, sense both Sound Alike, but mean two different things entirely.

when I changed the 'e' to an 'i' producing 'sinse' the spelling checker should pull up both Since and Sense but it never does.

Microsoft Word will do just that.

there are some instances of words where there could be as many as 3 or more spellings to produce the same 'Sound'

American English and slang, just like the Brits do, have a lot of terms that are hard to predict.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Fair enough. I take the alternative approach of ignoring the computer's warnings and write what I believe to be correct.
Cliff Coggin
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 am
Fair enough. I take the alternative approach of ignoring the computer's warnings and write what I believe to be correct.
let me add just a tiny bit to this:

Back in 2008 I was involved in a major motorcycle Semi-truck collision.

one of the side effects of that accident, was the loss of Short Term Memory, and the loss of pulling in words or Place-Names that I want to talk about.

for instance, I can visualize a town's name, see that town name on the 'map in my mind' and I can pull up the very first letter of that name, but the full name escapes me totally......

Example 'P' for the town name of Payson, Arizona

I lived in Mesa, Arizona for 20 years, Payson is a lovely mountain town that I have spent a lot of time in.
Yet, just now, for me to write the name 'Payson', I had to pull up Google Maps and type in Mesa, AZ and then scroll the map up to find the name PAYSON.

there is no way in hell, that I can import to you, how damn aggravating that is.
when a word is miss-spelled, I want to Right Click and have a full list of optional word forms.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I'm not sure if I changed the LibreOffice dictionary default sometime in the past, but when I run a spell-check on this sentence in LO I get the following suggestions:

"In one sinse I have sence wondered if I'm dyslexic."

Suggestions for ‘sinse’:
sines
sins
sine
sense
rinse
since
singe
sins e
seisin

Suggestions for ‘sence’:
séance
scene
sense
since
fence
pence
hence
sentence
essence
senescence
absence

I know it's only for LO, but might be worth delving a bit to see what dictionaries you can add. In my case under Tools/Options/Language Settings/Writing Aids it says 'Hunspell SpellChecker'. I just can't remember if that's the default or something I added in the past.
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

This thread reminds me of the old (very old) rhyme -
I have a spelling chequer,
It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye cannot sea.

When eye strike a quay, right a word,
I weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar wright
It shows me strait aweigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
I nose bee fore two late
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely, rarely grate.

I've run this poem threw it
I'm shore your pleased two no,
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:21 am

one of the side effects of that accident, was the loss of Short Term Memory, and the loss of pulling in words or Place-Names that I want to talk about.

for instance, I can visualize a town's name, see that town name on the 'map in my mind' and I can pull up the very first letter of that name, but the full name escapes me totally......

I lived in Mesa, Arizona for 20 years, Payson is a lovely mountain town that I have spent a lot of time in.
Yet, just now, for me to write the name 'Payson', I had to pull up Google Maps and type in Mesa, AZ and then scroll the map up to find the name PAYSON.

there is no way in hell, that I can import to you, how damn aggravating that is.
when a word is miss-spelled, I want to Right Click and have a full list of optional word forms.
I sympathize with you as with age I am also losing a lot of memory function and I do not even have the excuse of an accident. Only old age. As a friend once said to me, men as we get older, start to lose some functions and memory is the second one to go. :)

Normally I do not have much problem spelling but I do notice I have difficulty remembering names which are right there in my mind but refuse to emerge. I know exactly what you mean about having to look a name in a map. Some months ago I was in a restaurant with a group of people and I could not recall the name of an actor even though I know it perfectly well. So I stated giving clues, yes, he was in that movie that I don't remember the name with that actress, what's her name... yeah she was well known because she did that great movie where they can't find the corpse... and I went on and on with many things clear in my mind but I could not remember a single name. The people having lunch with me did not have a clue but, unnoticed to me, the people at the two adjacent tables were listening in and all intrigued. Finally someone at the next table said "Cary Grant!" and we all laughed and continued our conversations. Yes, it was Cary Grant but I could not recall his name for the life of me. This is something that happens to me often with public figures, politicians etc.

Getting back to "dictionaries" I think the problem is not with the dictionary used by Firefox because the words are included in the dictionary; the problem is that you want the spell check function to suggest more words. I am guessing at FF they have chosen to strike a balance and suggest only a few in order to speed things up. Maybe you could suggest at the FF forums that they make the level adjustable and allow you to choose a higher level of suggestions.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote:
cliffcoggin wrote:

I get the same "brain farts" or, as I prefer to call them, "cerebral flatulence".

Btw, have you had the chili at the Pinon Cafe on the right just past the Motel 6 as you come into Payson from Mesa on 87? Best! Chili! Ever!
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

GS3 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:52 pm
...I sympathize with you as with age I am also losing a lot of memory function and I do not even have the excuse of an accident. Only old age. As a friend once said to me, men as we get older, start to lose some functions and memory is the second one to go. :)

Normally I do not have much problem spelling but I do notice I have difficulty remembering names which are right there in my mind but refuse to emerge. I know exactly what you mean about having to look a name in a map. Some months ago I was in a restaurant with a group of people and I could not recall the name of an actor even though I know it perfectly well. So I stated giving clues, yes, he was in that movie that I don't remember the name with that actress, what's her name... yeah she was well known because she did that great movie where they can't find the corpse... and I went on and on with many things clear in my mind but I could not remember a single name. The people having lunch with me did not have a clue but, unnoticed to me, the people at the two adjacent tables were listening in and all intrigued. Finally someone at the next table said "Cary Grant!" and we all laughed and continued our conversations. Yes, it was Cary Grant but I could not recall his name for the life of me. This is something that happens to me often with public figures, politicians etc...
Methinks most of us flatulent geriatrics have the same problem. Btw, I can't remember what the first thing to go is, either. :oops:
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

AZgl1500 wrote:
cliffcoggin wrote:
I sympathise with your misfortune. I am fortunate to remember much of what I learned in language lessons from 57 years ago. However as Rolly pointed out it isn't only a spell checker you need, it is a combination of syntax, thesaurus and grammar checker. I don't know if that is even possible, let alone available in Mint.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I can't imagine having to depend on a program to be able to write well in my own native language. Now, spelling assistance from time to time, sure.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:58 pm

I get the same "brain farts" or, as I prefer to call them, "cerebral flatulence".

Btw, have you had the chili at the Pinon Cafe on the right just past the Motel 6 as you come into Payson from Mesa on 87? Best! Chili! Ever!
Yes, I have, and I love real Chili, not the super hot carne crap that most cafes push out and label 'chili'

authentic Mexican food has the Hint of the flavors, they do NOT blister your tongue with hot sauce.
In Albuquerque, NM where we lived for 12 years, we loved Gardunos ( sp ) restaurant.
authentic, family owned restaurant.
http://gardunosrestaurants.com/

Garduno'S.png
Garduno'S.png (120.06 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:27 pm
I'm not sure if I changed the LibreOffice dictionary default sometime in the past, but when I run a spell-check on this sentence in LO I get the following suggestions:...
Tossing the sentence into LibreOffice Write and having the New Zealand dictionary installed, it gives 13 possibilities for each of the words "sinse" and "sence" on my computer.

Now what was the name of that person??? It is a fact-of-life or a fact-of-a-longish-life, "I can't remember their name". It appears to be a standard deterioration with age.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

RollyShed wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:06 pm
Mick-Cork wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:27 pm
I'm not sure if I changed the LibreOffice dictionary default sometime in the past, but when I run a spell-check on this sentence in LO I get the following suggestions:...
Tossing the sentence into LibreOffice Write and having the New Zealand dictionary installed, it gives 13 possibilities for each of the words "sinse" and "sence" on my computer.

Now what was the name of that person??? It is a fact-of-life or a fact-of-a-longish-life, "I can't remember their name". It appears to be a standard deterioration with age.
I have Larned longe ego, that I am much better off to use LO Writer to create my longer posts..

as you say, it is much better at finding and suggesting options.
the one thing it does not do very well, is to AutoCorrect a miss spelled word.

In Microsoft Word, that is very easy to fix, my fingers get dyslexic if I type too fast and watch the screen. as the Latency between keystrokes is so slow, that I eyes say "Mistake!!!" and yet it isn't...

I do much better just closing my eyes and typing by feel.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”