I wish the Dictionaries that check spelling were half arse decent

Chat about just about anything else
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I wish the Dictionaries that check spelling were half arse decent

Post by Mick-Cork »

If you're not averse to Chrome / Google you could try out speech to text in the browser: https://dictation.io/speech
(You'll have to open that in Chrome, or a Chrome based browser, and it does use Google to transcribe).

Haven't tried it myself, but it (or other speech to text possibilities) might be worth investigating.

Edit: searched 'Chrome speech to text' - lots of info (and a Chrome offline extension also possible) : https://bit.ly/3kmXClf
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 am
If you're not averse to Chrome / Google you could try out speech to text in the browser: https://dictation.io/speech
(You'll have to open that in Chrome, or a Chrome based browser, and it does use Google to transcribe).

Haven't tried it myself, but it (or other speech to text possibilities) might be worth investigating.

Edit: searched 'Chrome speech to text' - lots of info (and a Chrome offline extension also possible) : https://bit.ly/3kmXClf
not going to happen.... Firefox only

the only time I use Google is on the cellphone when I ask for something.
and that is kept to a minimum.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

I have never found any speech to text app worth it, especially if you are using technical or unusual words. In the end you have to correct the text so much that it is easier to just type it in the first place.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Remember those Linux vs Windows threads? The spelling and grammar check is just one of the hundreds of small reasons why Linux will never overtake Windows in popularity.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 am

I do much better just closing my eyes and typing by feel.

That's a major feat in itself :-)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

tenfoot wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:34 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 am

I do much better just closing my eyes and typing by feel.

That's a major feat in itself :-)
when I was a lad in middle school, I took a typing class, simply because it intrigued me.

the grand old madam that taught that class kept a wooden ruler in her hands.
She gave us instructions to look at the book/text that we were supposed to be typing,
rudimentary at first, as it was to teach us the Home Keys.

If she ever caught a head turning to look at the keyboard on that old Royal Manual, kaWhack! went that ruler. :mrgreen:

I really liked that ole girl, she knew how to teach you to use a typewriter....
I graduated that class at roughly 45 wpm IIRC.....

Later after graduating from high school, I enrolled in the military, they sent me to Crypto school, and they had ASR-28 teletype writers there..... the "display" was a roll of Paper Tape with vertical dots that represented the letter and numbers.
the paper tape punch is to the left of the keyboard, the tape exits straight to the left.

this pix shows the optional Paper Printer for it, the ones in the crypto had the printers turned OFF. they were only used to print out a proof of performance for the instructor at his command.

We soon learned to read that tape as fast as it could come out of the paper punch, and were graded on reading that tape from another person's typing... we graded each other's typing skills.... when I graduated out of that class, I was typing at 120 wpm plus, don't recall the exact scores now, that was 50 years plus ago.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Very interesting post. I learnt to touch type at the relative old age of 24, together with Pitman's shorthand and bookkeeping. Three skills which served me well for the remainder of my working life.

And, now a "confession" :-(

I read your previous post as "typing by FEET, instead of typing by feel", hence, my sad attempt at humour :-)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

mediclaser wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:23 pm
Remember those Linux vs Windows threads? The spelling and grammar check is just one of the hundreds of small reasons why Linux will never overtake Windows in popularity.
Curious. I never noticed a difference between the spelling and grammar checkers in Windoze and Linux program; they both stunk.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I took typing in summer school in High School (I had to beg my parents to let me take it) but never could learn to touch type faster than a rip, roaring 19 wpm. I never needed to type after that (even in college) until we started using computers at work around when I was 45 (I'm in my seventies now). By then, I had reverted to the two finger scriptural method (seek and ye shall find). It wasn't until I was in my early fifties that I learned that I had ADHD and that it was a major reason why I couldn't learn to type.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:58 am
I took typing in summer school in High School (I had to beg my parents to let me take it) but never could learn to touch type faster than a rip, roaring 19 wpm. I never needed to type after that (even in college) until we started using computers at work around when I was 45 (I'm in my seventies now). By then, I had reverted to the two finger scriptural method (seek and ye shall find). It wasn't until I was in my early fifties that I learned that I had ADHD and that it was a major reason why I couldn't learn to type.
I have this anal characteristic that some people really get pissed about, it if is not done right, don't do it at all.

for typing, I put all of my attention on trying to be the fastest and with a 100% perfect score....
one guy beat me out, IIRC now, some 50 years later.... found out later, that he could type at 100 wpm before he was in our class... :roll:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

I type using the "vulture" system: my index finger circles above the keyboard while I search for the right key and when I find it the finger takes a deep dive until it hits the key. Sometimes it also hits an adjacent key.

I used the TTY ASR33. Later they became very cheap on the surplus market and some computer hobbysts would use them as terminals. TTY... rings like Unix.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Lert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lert »

I used to be able the type 'The quick brown fox etc ryryryry' as fast as a 50baud Siemens 100 would go..

And we invented the term 'bit bucket' in 1963. Thats where the chads from the punched tape went.. :lol:
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lert wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:19 am
I used to be able the type 'The quick brown fox etc ryryryry' as fast as a 50baud Siemens 100 would go..

And we invented the term 'bit bucket' in 1963. Thats where the chads from the punched tape went.. :lol:
ha ha ha on both counts....

I forget now, where the chads went on my ASR-28, I am sure there is a bucket for it under the machine.
that was back in 1964, and a lot of my memory slots are now vacant holes :?
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

We had an ASR-35 attached to an Xray diffractometer. One or two minor service jobs on it. After putting about a dozen instructions (in binary via toggle switches) on the front of the PDP-8, it was then programmed via a punched paper tape, a short one, followed by a longer one to get it to do the interrogation of a crystal's structure.

The worst thing was getting rid of punch cards. What do you write your shopping list on? Back of an envelope? But they are going to get rid of mail so now what?

Oh! That list was done using a pencil without a dictionary!
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

RollyShed wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:02 pm
The worst thing was getting rid of punch cards. What do you write your shopping list on?
I still have cards (and also S/3 cards) which I sometimes use for their intended purpose (shopping reminders).

I took a photo and then I decided to pixelate what was an actual shop list because I do not want people commenting on my choice of brands or telling me their brand is better than my brand. But that is an actual shopping list.
Attachments
PunchCards01r.jpg
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I don't tend to rely too much on spell-checkers unless I'm a bit too tired to concentrate properly .. I tend to run myself into the ground trying to wear my brain out & get it to switch OFF & sleep! .. :roll:

As far as typing goes, I took a typing class in 6th form (final year) & really enjoyed it. Took a kettle in so we could brew cups of tea in class; the typewriters were rather well used, to the point some of them produced "ghost" characters slightly offset to the intended one. (Worn strike-plate?)

Took both the EMFEC and RSA exams; EMFEC @ 25WPM (distinction IIRC) and RSA @ 35WPM (merit as there was no higher award?) .. not sure what my actual speed was as the 35 was the minimum pass-mark IIRC. Probably about 45WPM.

I did try out an (early) electric typewriter but didn't like the buffer (it had a small LCD screen and would suddenly start typing once full, or something like that, by default .. to allow for corrections). It also had a single-use plastic ribbon of which only a small amount of the "ink" was actually used .. what a waste. :(

Since then I've slacked at touch-typing (probably partly due to years of programming on the Commodore 64, the BASIC stuff involving using the symbols, forcing one to look at the keys again!) & am currently re-teaching myself. It's taking the right hand longer to get it right than the left; had a serious brain injury almost 17 years ago, to the right side frontal lobe mostly*. When said right side recovered (within weeks) the inbuilt repair & relearning process resulted in that side taking over some functions from the left .. I'd always been ambidextrous to a degree but found as a result I started using the left side for a LOT more, in other words almost fully ambidextrous, except for the ability to peel a spud effectively on the left, but can write equally badly with either hand (after a very brief practice, having always been a right-hand writer!), I can barely tell the difference between the resulting (illegible) handwriting.

*This should have knocked out the left side functionality, which to a degree it did, for a short time.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Return to “Open chat”