Mouse finger?

Chat about just about anything else
Lert
Level 1
Level 1

Mouse finger?

Post by Lert »

Hi all,
A few times over the last several months my forefinger has become swollen and stiff. I invented a name for this complaint 'mouse finger' and on checking with DuckDuck found that it is in fact a real thing. It appears that it is caused by inflammation of the tendons in the finger, probably due to my 27 years of mouse usage.

My solution has been to scroll with my middle finger but I still click with my forefinger. All good so far.

Has anyone here had the same problem?
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mouse finger?

Post by rene »

Lert wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:55 am
Yes. Most anyone who has later been diagnosed with (beginning) arthritis.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rene wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 am
Lert wrote:
I've been lucky. Even though I have arthritis in both hands (old age sucks), it's still mild enough in the right hand to not have affected my mousing ability (yet). Having a mouse that fits my hand well helps a lot.

After reading Lert's post, out of curiosity, I tried scrolling with my middle finger. My hat's off to Lert for being able to do it because I couldn't (the finger is too stiff to comfortably bend that way). Even wheel clicking with the middle finger didn't end all that well. Oh well!
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 am
rene wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 am
Lert wrote:
I've been lucky. Even though I have arthritis in both hands (old age sucks), it's still mild enough in the right hand to not have affected my mousing ability (yet). Having a mouse that fits my hand well helps a lot.

After reading Lert's post, out of curiosity, I tried scrolling with my middle finger. My hat's off to Lert for being able to do it because I couldn't (the finger is too stiff to comfortably bend that way). Even wheel clicking with the middle finger didn't end all that well. Oh well!
That's what you get for flicking off so many people, ma'am. :lol:

I'd love to suggest to the OP to get a left-handed mouse instead, but the problem is, of what little exists, anything really good is very expensive.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Portreve wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:57 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
...I've been lucky. Even though I have arthritis in both hands (old age sucks), it's still mild enough in the right hand to not have affected my mousing ability (yet). Having a mouse that fits my hand well helps a lot.

That's what you get for flicking off so many people, ma'am. :lol: ...
Flicking or flipping? (Guess what that finger is doing right now?)

(Btw, the answer is "typing".)

:lol:
Jeannie

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Lert wrote:
A few times over the last several months my forefinger has become swollen and stiff. It appears that it is caused by inflammation of the tendons in the finger, probably due to my 27 years of mouse usage.

My solution has been to scroll with my middle finger but I still click with my forefinger. All good so far.
Changing which fingers you use is a sound, healthy idea.

I have started changing right for left hand, when I experienced finger, hand and even shoulder pains.

RSI. Repetitive Strain Injury. That's what it is called.

RSI can cause really serious physical damage. Changing position, changing exposure (less usage of computer) or changing the mouse you use are three options I can think of out of my hat... Anything, ANYTHING that changes the repetitive behaviour is good... Anything that does NOT change the repetitive behaviour is BAD.

https://www.rsiprevention.com/rsi_prevention.php
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 pm
Portreve wrote:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
...I've been lucky. Even though I have arthritis in both hands (old age sucks), it's still mild enough in the right hand to not have affected my mousing ability (yet). Having a mouse that fits my hand well helps a lot.

You're all right, Lady Fitzgerald. Your head might come to a bit of a point, but I like you anyway. :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Portreve wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:10 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 pm
Portreve wrote:

You're all right, Lady Fitzgerald. Your head might come to a bit of a point, but I like you anyway. :lol:
Careful now lest you be "fouled" by the fickle finger of fate. :wink:
Jeannie

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Guys, do you not feel this perhaps a slight bit inappropriate, after my initial reply was so as to point out a potentially serious issue that poster apparently wasn't thinking of but which he or she might want to consult a doctor for?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

rene wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 pm
Guys, do you not feel this perhaps a slight bit inappropriate, after my initial reply was so as to point out a potentially serious issue that poster apparently wasn't thinking of but which he or she might want to consult a doctor for?
You have a point there. A doctor definitely should be consulted. I had something similar happen in my feet. Due to the number of tendons involved over my entire feet, the temporary solution was to take a prescription NSAID (a class of anti-inflammatory pain killers) until my hours per day were cut and I later was able to retire (the permanent solution). Other options may include Cortisone and other similar injections since it's only one finger.

However, Lert had asked if anyone else had the problem.
Jeannie

Lert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lert »

Thanks for the input people..
I've had my fill of doctors for the time being after major back surgery last year. I am now pretty used to middle finger scrolling after a few weeks. If I can keep the way I am now for another three years I'll be 80 and wondering when I need to update to Mint 21 :lol:

Graham

Return to “Open chat”