What is Unity Game software?

Chat about just about anything else
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

What is Unity Game software?

Post by GS3 »

Nine year old nephew wants to install Unity for unclear reasons. I am being asked my opinion about this software and specifically if it is safe. I checked the Wikipedia page but I am really not understanding what it does.
Unity gives users the ability to create games and experiences in both 2D and 3D, and the engine offers a primary scripting API in C#, for both the Unity editor in the form of plugins, and games themselves, as well as drag and drop functionality. Prior to C# being the primary programming language used for the engine, it previously supported Boo, which was removed with the release of Unity 5,[27] and a version of JavaScript called UnityScript, which was deprecated in August 2017, after the release of Unity 2017.1, in favor of C#.[28]

Within 2D games, Unity allows importation of sprites and an advanced 2D world renderer. For 3D games, Unity allows specification of texture compression, mipmaps, and resolution settings for each platform that the game engine supports,[29] and provides support for bump mapping, reflection mapping, parallax mapping, screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), dynamic shadows using shadow maps, render-to-texture and full-screen post-processing effects.[30]

As of 2018, Unity has been used to create approximately half of the new mobile games on the market and 60 percent of augmented reality and virtual reality content.
Sounds quite technical to me and not anything for a nine year old.

When I go to store.unit.com/download-nuo it asks me to download UnityHub.App.Image (77.3 MB). I get an option to "Open with Disk Image Mounter"

My questions:
Is this software safe for a 9 year old?
Is it something that makes sense for him to have and that a school would recommend?
If so, how would I install it or use it?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Re: What is Unity Game software?

Post by JoeFootball »

GS3 wrote: Nine year old nephew wants to install Unity for unclear reasons.
I would get clarity on these reasons. :)

Unity is a game engine, and, not surprisingly, is typically used for creating games.
GS3 wrote:Sounds quite technical to me and not anything for a nine year old.
I suppose it would depend. For the right nine year old, game development could be a fantastic educational opportunity. It could also be a distraction from other responsibilities.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

JoeFootball wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:04 pm
I would get clarity on these reasons. :)
Trying to get any clarity from the people involved is not very productive. You cannot get clarity from where there is none. These people live immersed in confusion. I believe Confusionism is their religion. :)

I might need to talk to the kid directly if I want to get any understanding of what he wants to do.

I have a feeling it might be the case that the kid downloaded or played some game and the game said something about (having been developed with) Unity and the kid thought Unity WAS the name of the game. So maybe he is not really trying to install Unity as much as recover some game he experienced and he thought Unity was the name of the game. Who knows.

I think my best course of action is to say nothing on this topic unless they ask again and just hope it is forgotten.

At least I have learned about game engines. I had no idea of the concept or their existence.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

GS3 wrote: I think my best course of action is to say nothing on this topic unless they ask again and just hope it is forgotten.
Given the circumstances, I'd have to agree. :)
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

It could well be a genuine learning how to code module in the curriculum using Unity tech - https://unity.com/learn/educators.

I don't think 9 is too young for this. I was teaching myself BBC basic back in the day as a 9 year old.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Well, I was not lucky and could not dodge the issue so now I am trying to install the Unity but I am totally lost.

I downloaded UnityHub.AppImage, 81.1 MB and have placed it in /usr/local/etc for no particular reason except that it seemed like as good a place as any other.

Then the instructions at https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Getting ... ngHub.html totally lose me and I have no idea what I am supposed to do next.

I tried entering UnityHub.AppImage as a command but that does not work.

So I have the file there. Now what?

I suppose I need to do some kind of installation but have no idea how.

After I have done the installation it seems I will need to open an account with them.

I am totally lost. :(

= = =
E.T.A.: Well, it took some hours but I finally got it to run. Now the kid can spend as many hours as he wants playing with it and, hopefully, I will not need to help.

An interesting aspect is that you need to decide ahead of time what OS the game will run on. It only makes sense but I never thought about it.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

sorry this reply is quite late as i use LMDE and am usually on that side of the forums. found this by accident through searching for unity3D.

you found out most of the answers already, but i can elaborate a bit more since i use the unity3d and will be releasing my first game in the next week or so (should i do a shameless plug? :mrgreen: )

unity3d makes it easy for people to make their own games. it is free to use if your 9 year nephew is earning less than USD100k from anything he creates from it. there are lots of free tutorials, samples, examples and assets to learn from. at that age some of it might be a bit difficult to understand (eg. even a lot of adults might not know what a quaternion is) but if they are interested in game development i would encourage it.

they will learn essential logic, gain an understanding of newtonian and spartial mechanics, mathematics and associated programming ^^
darkrchaos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkrchaos »

I use unity to create games. I think it's a amazing program to create games, specially if your new to programming.

The fact that unity supports linux is the main reason I was able to move to linux mint.
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Post by antikythera »

Any chance you guys creating games can add a link to your projects worked on using Linux Mint/LMDE as host distribution in the gaming section? I guess you'd have to ask permission from the moderators as technically it's advertising but still, it would be interesting to at least see your work. Either that or screenshots and a description/a video preview on YouTube. Some of us could act as beta testers for you if you need them too if the games are the genre we like to play of course.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

didn't even know there -was- a gaming section (still a green noob ^^);

my game is hobbyist level so not anything that would impress, but happy to share if people are interested.

Linux Mint is not officially supported by unity (ubuntu is); and to be honest, the linux version is pretty buggy compared to the windows one. still, if there is interest in making unity games on mint and it helps the community then i'm fine to help out if i can.

Return to “Open chat”