GitHub Code Vault.

Chat about just about anything else
Lert
Level 1
Level 1

GitHub Code Vault.

Post by Lert »

This story appeared on ABC Oz news site today..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-13/ ... y/12517948
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Re: GitHub Code Vault.

Post by AndyMH »

Interesting in that the archival medium is film.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

"...it's remote enough that it's not likely to be lost to looters from a dystopian future." :lol:

Technology changes so fast I'm not sure how well the "decoding" mechanism in place will work. I saw a video of teenagers attempting to make a phone call with a rotary dial phone and it was so different to what they do now they didn't figure it out.

Also reminds me of something I saw online a few years ago about a young person seeing a 1.44 inch floppy disk for the first time. The person thought someone had 3-D printed the save icon. From an archival standpoint, floppy disks and rotary phones aren't that far in the past.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

SMG wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:38 am
Technology changes so fast I'm not sure how well the "decoding" mechanism in place will work. I saw a video of teenagers attempting to make a phone call with a rotary dial phone and it was so different to what they do now they didn't figure it out.
The technology for reading Microfilm/Microfiche is not very sophisticated - a magnifying lens, a light source, and mechanism to move the film. A pictogram user guide would be sufficient to instruct someone to use it. The first time I used a microfiche reader it was without any instruction - it took me about a minute to figure it out, and I was proficient in five minutes or so. The biggest obstacle will be the light source; without electricity one would have to be built using something like a mirror, but that should not be a major obstacle for a half-clever Morlock.

It is interesting that analog is still best way to store information long-term, even in the digital age.
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:52 am
A pictogram user guide would be sufficient to instruct someone to use it.
That's a good point.

The first time I used microfiche (a looooooong time ago) must have been pretty mundane, because I don't recall how I learned to use it.
LM20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”