Grammar Pet Peeve

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Grammar Pet Peeve

Post by GS3 »

My Faber Castell 167/87g pocket slide rule is still in my desk drawer although it gets little use these days. I believe I got it around 1967-68. Over fifty years and I still haven't had to replace the batteries.

My scientific calculator Casio fx-17 which I got in 1977 and is still on my electronics workbench working just fine. It is from before LCD displays and it has mini fluorescent digits.

Before that one I had a TI-30, with tiny red seven segment display.

In contrast, some years ago I bought in a UK pound store for one pound a scientific calculator with more functions than any of the old ones. It is still in its blister pack, unopened. I also bought an umbrella for one pound and lost it within the next three hours.
Attachments
IMG_20200905_100655dra.jpg
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:49 pmHave you got a sextant? Mine is a vernier one, not the better micrometer adjust. Plus there are three magnetic compasses on the shelf in front of me.
I have a "good" sextant which I would not allow anywhere near water or a boat these days (too valuable) and a couple of "play" sextants. Also a nice, antique bearing compass with a nice wooden case.

Also a nice old theodolite and tripod similar to the one in the photo from Wikipedia. Unfortunately they are all in storage now.

I always have had a liking to scientific instruments of that type.
Attachments
Theodolite.jpg
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 am In 1956? That was a horrible year for Hungary....
Interesting documentary by British historian Mark Felton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy-60doL-KM
Great history channel.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm not sure if this is incorrect grammar, but to me it just doesn't seem correct. I think it happens because people are trying to avoid the misuse of the word "me." Here's an example of what I'm talking about that I used to hear all the time from one of my former supervisors. She would tell us, "If you have a problem, get with either Jim or myself and . . . (whatever)." Here me seems to be the correct word to use and not myself. Anyone?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Schultz wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:41 pm I'm not sure if this is incorrect grammar, but to me it just doesn't seem correct. I think it happens because people are trying to avoid the misuse of the word "me." Here's an example of what I'm talking about that I used to hear all the time from one of my former supervisors. She would tell us, "If you have a problem, get with either Jim or myself and . . . (whatever)." Here me seems to be the correct word to use and not myself. Anyone?
The way I know it, take the other people out of the statement, and the word used should still stand. "Get with myself" doesn't work. "Get with I" doesn't work. So "me" must be correct here. Me is sure to be corrected, but myself don't care! :mrgreen:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

That is the exact way I viewed this, until I read the paragraph titled "Using Myself in Place of I or Me: Usage Guide" found at the link below. I'm not sure I'm understanding what is written there though; I agree with the "critics at the turn of the century" that frown on these usages of myself.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myself
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

A couple of those I would probably use. "Old timers like myself" actually sounds decent to me. There are often exceptions for the rules we've learned.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Here's another pet peeve of mine:

“What California needs is more hot and dry weather.”

While that is not strictly speaking a grammar faux pax, my preference would be to wow that sentence like this:

“What California needs is cooler weather and rain.”

I believe this would also apply to Oregon and Washington.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Portreve wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:48 pm Here's another pet peeve of mine:

While that is not strictly speaking a grammar faux pax, my preference would be to wow that sentence like this:

Right now I couldn't care less about grammar faux pax's, I live in southern Oregon. I'd love to trade some of extreme dry weather with for the extreme wet weather in the south. Balance it out somehow. I've lived here for thirty years. In the beginning I saw smoky and extreme fire conditions maybe every other year. Now it seems like we have only two seasons. One season with just enough rain to get some growth and the other to dry it out and burn.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

A news editor rearranged one of Winston Churchill's sentences to avoid it ending in a preposition. In response, Churchill wrote: "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

MrEen wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:53 pm
Schultz wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:41 pm I'm not sure if this is incorrect grammar, but to me it just doesn't seem correct. I think it happens because people are trying to avoid the misuse of the word "me." Here's an example of what I'm talking about that I used to hear all the time from one of my former supervisors. She would tell us, "If you have a problem, get with either Jim or myself and . . . (whatever)." Here me seems to be the correct word to use and not myself. Anyone?
The way I know it, take the other people out of the statement, and the word used should still stand. "Get with myself" doesn't work. "Get with I" doesn't work. So "me" must be correct here. Me is sure to be corrected, but myself don't care! :mrgreen:
I have tried to stay out of this discussion, but I can't resist any more.
Grammatically speaking, I should be used when the person is the subject of the verb; me should be used when the person is the object of the verb.
Far more excruciating for me to hear as a speaker of English rather than American is the phrase "get with" when what is meant is "contact me". However it is not as ugly as "off of" instead of "from".
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

farkas wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:55 am

Right now I couldn't care less about grammar faux pax's, I live in southern Oregon. I'd love to trade some of extreme dry weather with for the extreme wet weather in the south. Balance it out somehow. I've lived here for thirty years. In the beginning I saw smoky and extreme fire conditions maybe every other year. Now it seems like we have only two seasons. One season with just enough rain to get some growth and the other to dry it out and burn.
I live in Florida, and lately we've been getting inundated with rain. If I could, I would ship all of last month's, this month's, and likely next month's rainfall to you folks.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:39 am However it is not as ugly as "off of" instead of "from".
Or 'off on', as in 'they signed off on the contract.' In both examples of torturous language mangling, 'off' is sufficient. Of course, the blame for the mangling lies fully with the United States. It has no official language and, until recently, it didn't have basic rules of either grammar or spelling.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:24 am
cliffcoggin wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:39 am However it is not as ugly as "off of" instead of "from".
Or 'off on', as in 'they signed off on the contract.' In both examples of torturous language mangling, 'off' is sufficient. Of course, the blame for the mangling lies fully with the United States. It has no official language and, until recently, it didn't have basic rules of either grammar or spelling.
It's so "amusing" when people from other English speaking countries criticize Americans for mangling English when they mangle it even worse than we do, such as using connective "Rs" to separate vowel sounds in words ending with a vowel that is followed by a word beginning with a vowel (which often leads to intrusive "Rs") when a simple glottal stop will do the job, and dropping so many syllables, it's a wonder they don't all have bloodied noses due to tripping over them and landing flat on their faces.

I agree that not having an official language here in the SSA is problematic (but not for the reason you suggested) but you are wrong about us not having basic rules for grammar or spelling. I can tell you from personal experience that they were taught in our schools over half a century ago and, historically, for far longer back than that.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:03 am ... such using connective "Rs" ...
Funnier still is someone mangling it with egregious errors while claiming others mangle it even worse.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:07 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:03 am ... such using connective "Rs" ...
Funnier still is someone mangling it with egregious errors while claiming others mangle it even worse.
That was funny (pot, meet kettle). So I accidentally omitted a word. "Stuff" happens.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

how many times have you read an uplifting or intelligent post or comment on any site or youtube video only to realize their intelligence did not light any warning lights when the used term for THEY'RE is THEIR instead, or HERE instead of HEAR.
Last edited by trytip on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:24 am Of course, the blame for the mangling lies fully with the United States. It has no official language and, until recently, it didn't have basic rules of either grammar or spelling.
Yeah, but if anyone tried to make English the official language, the snowflakes would lose their minds.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

We're bordering on politics here. This is the only warning I'll give. Grammar can be discussed without getting political.

Return to “Open Chat”