Chat about just about anything else
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Grammar Pet Peeve

Post by RollyShed »

Lert wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:33 pm
and if you drift down below the equator, there is that weird duck sounding Anglish, that my daughter came back home with after spending some time in Adelaide, AU
Mate, You are lucky she did not go to Kiwiland.

On the subject of double spaces, this thread is the first time I have heard of the practice. Started school in 1949. No contractions either.
Two things there, accents and spacing. South of Cook Strait, the South Island of New Zealand (Kiwiland) and especially the bottom of it we speak English correctly. It was settled by the Scots.

The double spacing part of the thread has had some interesting comments and basically, if a person was taught to touch type, roughly up to the mid 1960s, double spacing. All my typing was self taught despite my mother having a typewriter and suggesting I learn to type (1950s). When it comes to publishing books and magazines, single spacing, especially if the line is justified. Double spacing there and it looks a mess.

For those who might not know, a kiwi is a flightless bird only found in New Zealand. Kiwis as applied to people are those from New Zealand. For those who still don't know, we are to the east of the West Island sometimes known as Australia, the convict settlement for Britain, late 1700 - 1800.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convicts_in_Australia
(Wait until our Aussie mates read this..... :D :) :( :oops: !!!)
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Using two spaces helps visually determine it is the start of a new sentence, just like using a capital letter but I don't see the two spaces after period rule as hard and fast and both styles are correct and acceptable. I use two spaces most of the time because they enhance legibility, just like using punctuation, paragraphs, etc.

When I am writing a longer email dealing with, say, three different issues, I will deal with the first issue in several paragraphs and I will introduce an empty paragraph or two when starting with the second issue. This makes a greater separation and if the reader needs to go back to consult he can easily see the entire email is divided into three big blocks which are further divided into paragraphs. Just aiding legibility.

Compare

I like to use formatting like commas, periods, etc. when I write and email to my sweet Susanne. I like to mention this.

I like to use formatting like commas, periods, etc. When I write and email to my sweet Susanne I like to mention this.

Two spaces after "etc." help with the parsing.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 am

we are to the east of the West Island sometimes known as Australia,
Love it!
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 am
Lert wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:33 pm
On the subject of double spaces, this thread is the first time I have heard of the practice. Started school in 1949. No contractions either.
Only recently managed to un-learn the practice. Think everyone who learnt to touch type on an old upright typewriter was taught this one, in my case 1974.
I took touch typing in high school back in '65 (give or take a year) and we were not taught the double period. I never even heard of it, even in four semesters of college English classes, until around a decade ago. The only time I learned to use a double space is between the State and the zip code when addressing a letter or package, something I never see anymore although I still do it.

Something we did learn in school but I rarely see anymore was to indent the first word of paragraph. I don't bother with indenting anymore (I tried to indent in this post to demonstrate it but it was auto-corrected out mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble).
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Again, the forum does not autocorrect double spaces or spaces at the beginning of a line, they are still there. It is the standard HTML rendering which does that since the beginning of HTML. If you want HTML rendering to not ignore them then you need to use non-breaking spaces instead.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

GS3 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 am
Again, the forum does not autocorrect double spaces or spaces at the beginning of a line, they are still there. It is the standard HTML rendering which does that since the beginning of HTML. If you want HTML rendering to not ignore them then you need to use non-breaking spaces instead.
I'm result oriented and, in this case, the result is the same no matter the reason.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RollyShed »

Formatting changes -
We used to start a new paragraph 2 or 3 letters in. Now no indent and half a font height extra line spacing between paragraphs.

Addressing the start of a letter, the recipient's address on one side of the page, your own address on the other side (left and right justified). Now all addresses are on one side, left, one below the other.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:15 pm
Formatting changes -
We used to start a new paragraph 2 or 3 letters in. Now no indent and half a font height extra line spacing between paragraphs.

Addressing the start of a letter, the recipient's address on one side of the page, your own address on the other side (left and right justified). Now all addresses are on one side, left, one below the other.
I use 5 letter spaces in for New paragraph....
Always have, my grade school taught us to do that for Business letters back in '55 or '56

But, forums throw that all away, which is irritating to me.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

When hand-coding HTML I used <FONT SIZE=+2>&nbsp; &nbsp;</FONT> at the beginning of every paragraph. Three big spaces would give, not only indent, but also greater separation from the previous paragraph.

Return to “Open chat”