Why Google and Facebook should pay ?

Chat about just about anything else
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why Google and Facebook should pay ?

Post by GS3 »

Pierre wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:30 am
The matter is being watched closely around the world,
- as it represents the biggest challenge so far to the way the U.S. tech giants use news on some of the world's biggest websites.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/explainer-fac ... 24818.html

WHAT DOES THE PROPOSED LEGISLATION SAY?

* The draft law states that Australian news outlets can negotiate individually or collectively with Facebook and Google over payment for content used on the tech firms' sites. Other tech firms may be added if they are deemed big enough.
I do not understand this because existing copyright law should be enough for news sites to prohibit Google from copying their content or negotiating conditions for allowing them to do so. Why is a new law needed? What does it change? Why is it that suddenly around the world governments feel the need to pass laws very ostensibly targeting big American corps with deep pockets?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I THINK! Note this is only MY THOUGHTS!

Journalism as a craft, and career, I'd venture, is going the way of the Dodo. Whether this is a good thing, or a bad thing, only time will tell. I'd suggest that, in future, the only "facts" in any news story will be those in the mind of the author. A journalist in the true sense of the word will not be able to compete with the opinionators of social media.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

lsemmens wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:27 am

Journalism as a craft, and career, I'd venture, is going the way of the Dodo.
It looks like it really is.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

A journalist in the true sense of the word will not be able to compete with the opinionators of social media.
Scary thought
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I remember my Comp I professor sharing with us at the beginning of the term a question asked by a student in one of her other classes:

“When we write our term papers, can we use text speech?”

My reaction would have been to tell the student to try that and see what happens. Of course, in this day and age, the student would have filed a complaint with the school administration over me giving him an F on the paper without having warned him in advance. There does come a point where we've over-coddled our children, and we are living in that era. Brave new world indeed.

Vis a vis the paucity of written articles today — and, for that matter, anything written by anyone at all — is teachers themselves are not of a sufficient caliber to have earned the title “teacher” or “professor”. With each succeeding generation, this decay grows.

Is it any wonder so many people are seemingly incapable of warding off such bunk as conspiracy theories and outright deceit? How is it possible that so many people today either believe, or are open to the possibility, that the Earth is flat? Or, that the American government is full of Satan-worshiping child molesters?
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

There's also a worrying increasing disdain in academic circles, notably among historians, for truth. Based on the (probably correct) philosophical notion that objective truth doesn't exist and cannot be ascertained. A growing number of historians sees this as a license to mould history to the fashionable ideology "du jour".

This is of course lamentable. Even if objective truth cannot exist, a historian with integrity should strive for it anyway. Or lose all credibility. Same goes for journalists.

I think that social media "news" would probably become less popular, if traditional journalists would strive more for bringing the news in an "ideology-free" way. Ideology in traditional news media has severely damaged the trust of the public, resulting in a quest for alternative news media. This might be reversible if the traditional news media would try harder to keep ideology out of their reporting.
Last edited by Pjotr on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

The last time i can remember ever seeing real journalism or journalists was around the time of the JFK assassination...they both died after he died...Loss of this so-called news in both Facebook and Google is a small price to pay if it helps these so-called "journalists" start reporting real news again rather than giving their obviated, opinionated viewpoints "offered", as "their interpretation" of the news of the day...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:48 pm

How is it possible that so many people today either believe, or are open to the possibility, that the Earth is flat?
Unfortunately,ignorance and mental illness are very common among people. Think these are the main reasons for almost all problems in society.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 pm
There's also a worrying increasing disdain in academic circles, notably among historians, for truth. Based on the (probably correct) philosophical notion that objective truth doesn't exist and cannot be ascertained. A growing number of historians sees this as a license to mould history to the fashionable ideology "du jour".
This is really bad.In my opinion, ideology is incompatible with real science.Soviet historical science at one time suffered greatly from the dominance of ideology.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

So I prefer flat earths. Also fixed in a very stable way.
I don't want to fall off such an unstable, rotating and, moreover, round thing.
This version seems habitable to me:

Terry Pratchett.jpg

I also think the idea with the dodos is good: daily edition, printed on three-ply, soft toilet paper, leporello folding - to collect.

Dodo.png

To what extent Google, Facebook and the like will participate remains to be seen.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Google and Facebook are pushing an agenda, let's leave it at that. The media in general is bought and paid for. I live in the US but have a friend that lives in Scotland, he said the same thing is going on there too just not to the degree we see in the US. No one believes the news media anymore, everything is politicized. Just follow the money trail.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

absque fenestris wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:48 pm
So I prefer flat earths. Also fixed in a very stable way.
I don't want to fall off such an unstable, rotating and, moreover, round thing.
+ :lol:
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

exploder wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:16 pm
Google and Facebook are pushing an agenda, let's leave it at that. The media in general is bought and paid for. I live in the US but have a friend that lives in Scotland, he said the same thing is going on there too just not to the degree we see in the US. No one believes the news media anymore, everything is politicized. Just follow the money trail.
Yes it looks like it really is. Real journalism is rare today.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

exploder wrote:
Some food for thought
https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton ... fd7f3c660a
https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/unlike-n ... ping-ship/
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:26 am
exploder wrote:
Yes it looks like it really is. Real journalism is rare today.
that may be an good place to Leave this Topic
:)
it's run it's course.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Open chat”