Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by MurphCID »

I tried to get her to get the 13.3" HP Spectre when she was getting her computer, she threw a fit and wanted the 15.6" version with the 4k screen, now she tells me that she really loves the little HP, and wants to take BOTH to college. She said that the little one is so much lighter in her backpack. *sigh* no one ever listens to dad.......
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

no one ever listens to dad.......
Not when its "daddies" money thats buying these things...When it is their money, than things get a little different...been there, done that...lol...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:49 am
no one ever listens to dad.......
Not when its "daddies" money thats buying these things...When it is their money, than things get a little different...been there, done that...lol...DAMIEN
So true, so very, very true.
Ivy_Pool
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ivy_Pool »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:35 am I tried to get her to get the 13.3" HP Spectre when she was getting her computer, she threw a fit and wanted the 15.6" version with the 4k screen, now she tells me that she really loves the little HP, and wants to take BOTH to college. She said that the little one is so much lighter in her backpack. *sigh* no one ever listens to dad.......
So, the real question is which one are you going to let her take?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ivy_Pool wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:35 am I tried to get her to get the 13.3" HP Spectre when she was getting her computer, she threw a fit and wanted the 15.6" version with the 4k screen, now she tells me that she really loves the little HP, and wants to take BOTH to college. She said that the little one is so much lighter in her backpack. *sigh* no one ever listens to dad.......
I told her she could take both since the little one is the house spare computer.
Ivy_Pool
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ivy_Pool »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 pm
Ivy_Pool wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 am
I told her she could take both since the little one is the house spare computer.
That is Awesome!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Sounds like somebody has Daddy wrapped around her little finger. Not that I should talk when it comes to my daughter and two grand daughters . . . . . . how do they do it ? On the other side of the coin my son came over yesterday to help my son-in-law move some heavy furniture. We told my son-in-law we would meet him at 3:00 (1500). So my son said he was going to take a little nap before going over to move the furniture. At about 2:30 (1430) I was getting ready to wake him to get going. My wife wanted me to call my son-in-law and tell him we would be a little late . . . . you know because she didn't want to wake her little 6' 185 pound darling from his slumber. I looked at her like she was from Mars and then did the best First Sargent impersonation that I could muster and got him up.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

majpooper wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:11 pm ...My wife wanted me to call my son-in-law and tell him we would be a little late . . . . you know because she didn't want to wake her little 6' 185 pound darling from his slumber. I looked at her like she was from Mars and then did the best First Sargent impersonation that I could muster and got him up.
I would have loved to have seen that. :lol:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

did the best First Sargent impersonation
I thought "Sargent" was correctly spelled as "Sergeant"...lol...Just having some fun with ya here...lol...DAMIEN
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 pm
I thought "Sargent" was correctly spelled as "Sergeant"...lol...Just having some fun with ya here...lol...DAMIEN
No problem from this former Sergeant . . . . or "sarge" or "sarent" from buck Sargent up through Master Sargent except of course in the case of a First Sargent or Sargent Major in which case one would be best advised to address them by their proper rank.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

majpooper wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:42 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 pm
No problem from this former Sergeant . . . . or "sarge" or "sarent" from buck Sargent up through Master Sargent except of course in the case of a First Sargent or Sargent Major in which case one would be best advised to address them by their proper rank.
I don't give the north end of a south bound furry little rodent how you spell or pronounce it, I still would have liked to have seen that. :wink:

That reminds me of my son when he was a kid. From the time we first hauled him home from the hospital after he was born, compared to the way he slept, a log looked like an insomniac in comparison.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:11 pm Sounds like somebody has Daddy wrapped around her little finger. Not that I should talk when it comes to my daughter and two grand daughters . . . . . . how do they do it ? On the other side of the coin my son came over yesterday to help my son-in-law move some heavy furniture. We told my son-in-law we would meet him at 3:00 (1500). So my son said he was going to take a little nap before going over to move the furniture. At about 2:30 (1430) I was getting ready to wake him to get going. My wife wanted me to call my son-in-law and tell him we would be a little late . . . . you know because she didn't want to wake her little 6' 185 pound darling from his slumber. I looked at her like she was from Mars and then did the best First Sargent impersonation that I could muster and got him up.
So true, but I have to pick my battles, and something told me that this one was a battle I would lose. I can hear the Spouse-Unit now: You have so many laptops, just let her have one...."
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

It's funny how the daddy tech support comes full circle with my family now that I am older. It used to be pretty stressful trying to keep everyone's tech stuff running. I would get so frustrated at times when the kids (especially my daughter) wouldn't take my advice and the result would be problems with their computers.

But now we are empty nesters and have been for years. The kids are pretty far away and we don't get to see them so often. I miss them.

But a cool thing happened about a month ago. My son, who now lives about 1,000 miles away is starting a new job. He called me for some really cool daddy tech support. He needs a data scientist workstation for the new job and really can't afford to buy one off the shelf. He asked if I could help him build his first computer. I have always built ours over the years (not the laptops but our home computers). Since that phone call a month ago, I have already had so much fun going back and forth brain storming with my son as we design this workstation together.

LOL, I didn't even know what the heck a data science workstation was at first. When I got off the phone with my son that day I had to Google it. My son apparently builds queries in the R programming language to query extremely large data sources and his laptop takes several hours to get these run. He needs a more powerful computer, but built on a budget that makes every dollar count. Anyway, he wants to build a dual boot computer so he can do this in Linux, but still have Windows for some stuff. LOL, I liked the Linux part because the kids were not fans of my Linux machines growing up. But now he wants one :-)

I've gotta admit that it feels pretty good to feel needed again. And I've had so much fun explaining all of the options to him as to how he can build this workstation. I'm so tempted to buy a plane ticket and go down there to help support him with this, the day he actually does build it. I had a guy help me build my first computer many years ago. He had me do the actual work, but it felt good to have him there to point out various things as I went along. I will always be grateful for how he helped me back then. I'd like to pay that forward with my son now. Anyway, it sure feels good to be wearing that daddy tech support hat again. I'd gotten to where I kind of missed it.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Barbados99 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am I'm so tempted to buy a plane ticket and go down there to help support him with this, the day he actually does build it.
DO IT ! Don't even think twice. Don't miss out on a wonderful experience and a memory you will both cherish for the price of a plane ticket.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

majpooper wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:16 pm
Barbados99 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am I'm so tempted to buy a plane ticket and go down there to help support him with this, the day he actually does build it.
DO IT ! Don't even think twice. Don't miss out on a wonderful experience and a memory you will both cherish for the price of a plane ticket.
I totally agree.

I am 78 now, had a severe bad accident in Jan 2008, when a semi-truck T-boned my motorcycle and merged me into a center median.
medical damages to my body have resulted in me not being able to handle heat above 83*F now.

2 weeks ago, I went to my last rally, and took a tour with some of my friends, it was to be "short" by our terms, just a few hours.
It was drizzling a bit when we left, clouds had been over-head for days.

But, at 1 hour out, my body started telling me I needed to get off the motorcycle.
at 2 hours out, I was getting too hot, the clouds disappeared.
at 2.5 hours out, I came with 10 inches of flying off a curve down into a deep gully.

I had over heated, and my brain quit working, and I started looking at the edge of the road, not where the bike needs to be pointed to on curves....

motorcycles go where the eyeballs are looking, you need to look ahead, and put your mind in the middle of the curve.

just as I approached the edge of becoming a 2 wheel airplane, my eyeballs spotted a construction site clearing with a wide driveway to it..... the bike following my eyes and I turned into the construction site..... I got off, stripped my jacket and touring pants off, I was sweating badly........

my friends turned around and came back to me to find out what was wrong ( I luckily hit the Push to Talk button on the CB radio yelling for help )

when they stopped and I explained what happened, the guy behind me said "you came within 10 inches of flying into a gully".

I said right then, THIS IS MY LAST RIDE, I AM DONE.

I called my son in Georgia and told him I am through riding my 1800 cc Goldwing, it has been a fun ride for 30 years plus, but is now history for me.

come 8/18/2021 I am driving down to his home in Georgia and signing the title over to him.... it is time.

he has asked if I can stay with him for 2 or 3 weeks..... I have a little 250cc scooter, and we will take some short rides into the northern Georgia mountains.. He lives in Dawsonville, at the edge of the mountains

......... goodbye my friend, it has been good

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

That's one heckuva nice looking ride! I'm so sorry you have to part with it! One of the hardest parts of getting old is no longer being able to do things you used to be able to do (along with outliving loved ones); something I have trouble with accepting.
Jeannie

Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 pm One of the hardest parts of getting old is no longer being able to do things you used to be able to do (along with outliving loved ones); something I have trouble with accepting.
I know. I've had to change and adjust. Right now I am trying to explore learning new things. I picked up a new hobby about a year ago (woodworking) and have had a lot of fun trying to build some things. I built a small kitchenette table and my wife liked it. We have a pretty small kitchen and now that it's just the two of us we don't need to use the big table unless we have people over for dinner. We have been more intentional about interacting with others. A lot of my friends have passed away and it's a bit sobering when I think about that fact. It is sad, I miss them a lot. But I try to be open to new friends. We've gotten a lot closer to our neighbors since this pandemic hit. We get out and walk the neighborhood for fresh air and exercise, and it's been really nice how we get to see and talk with our neighbors more as a result of that.

As I get older I'm trying to keep my mind exercised as well as my body - as best I can. I've taken a few online classes too. I'm just hoping to enjoy each day as best I can. And even the challenging days I remind myself to just take life "one day at a time" now. I remember my grandma doing that when she was older. She was a remarkable lady whom I deeply respected. She had been a single parent of 7 children during the Great Depression and she was tough as nails, had a heart of gold and was so positive. When she was really old I remember her singing that song, "One Day at a Time" softly as she went about her morning. She had a tough life but a good one all the same. I want to be like her.

EDIT: And I was asked to be a moderator on a sports forum site for my favorite sports team. We have members from all over the world & it's a great group. That's been a learning experience for sure. Just trying to keep folks on track is quite a job sometimes :-)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

No new earth shattering events, just a comedy of errors in attempting to install a Car-Cam in my daughter's car. The cable running to the back camera won, we lost. So we are getting Best Buy to do the installation. I like the idea of her having a car-camera since she will be driving 6 hours back and forth to Nacogdoches in the fall for College. We were almost defeated by the 3M sticky tape (boy is that stuff...sticky...). Goes back to the most terrifying words in the English language: "Some Assembly required."
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:23 am Goes back to the most terrifying words in the English language: "Some Assembly required."
That reminds me of when my daughter went to grad school. She rented a tiny studio apartment that was dirt cheap... basically a small room on the 2nd floor in an ancient home built in the 1700's. The stairs were a holy terror. She had everything "ready" for me to drive out there (a two day drive) to help move her stuff in (thought I was gonna have a stroke or heart attack trying to carry these heavy boxes that contained "Some Assembly Required" stuff up the "stairs of terror" - she had gotten "good deals" on furniture bed, dresser & a mattress that was a foam thing somehow shrunk into a tiny bag. I'm not exaggerating, one piece she had was supposed to be a large dresser that had to have had 600 pieces to assemble. There were no closets in this place so she did need a place for her clothes. This dresser was basically (seriously) a lot of fake-wood boards and a sack of hundreds of tiny screws, washers and a vast array of metal pieces I had no clue where they went. The instructions were pitiful. Primitive drawings and a smattering of pigeon-english. She was so proud of how she had saved money by buying this furniture on a tight budget, that I didn't complain. I had brought my tools with me so basically it turned into a woodworking project making her furniture for the room with "mystery parts" and no usable instructions. LOL. I am proud of how she tries to manage money. She did graduate from there and has a good career now. I'm grateful she was safe those two years in that neighborhood (although one guy was killed in a shooting across the street on the sidewalk, but she was never hurt there).

Now, it's 4 years later and she just made an offer on her first home. I do like the home. It's close to where she works in a small town in Illinois. It's another old place, built in 1831, so almost 200 years old, but it looks like it is solid as a rock with good bones. She got a good deal on the home... it's a starter home that will need work. But it's close enough that I can pack my power tools and drive to her place in 2 hours now versus 2 days. LOL, but the stairs to the 2nd floor of this old home actually look scarier than those at that old studio apartment place. My daughter looked at those stairs, then looked at me and said, Dad, how will we get furniture upstairs? I was thinking the same thing... fleeting thoughts went through my mind of a rope-ladder we could throw out one of the 2nd floor windows and tying the furniture pieces on my back :-)

But as the kids say nowadays, "we'll figure it out" LOL.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:23 am ...Goes back to the most terrifying words in the English language: "Some Assembly required."
No, the most terrifying words in the English language were uttered by my son: "Trust me."
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”