Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by deepakdeshp »

Grandparents are strict to their children but to their grandchildren? They are soft and mushy. Does the advance age cause this? May be. Or they realize that they should have been easier on their kids.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Worst Dad/Husband of the year award.
I got you beat on that one...In one of the Valvoline garages I was managing after my PD retirement, my son was also working for me...he decided that he was going to visit his girlfriend on his half hour lunch break...(It wasn't lunch that he was having), He returned two and a half hours later, told me his lateness was "unavoidable"...I told him that me firing his butt was also "unavoidable" as well.

I won that "Worst Dad/Worst Ex-Husband of the year award"...However the other employees were never so much as one minute late for anything job related thereafter...Guess they figured that if i would fire my own son, they really didn't want to "play" with me...lol...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:14 am
Worst Dad/Husband of the year award.
I got you beat on that one...In one of the Valvoline garages I was managing after my PD retirement, my son was also working for me...he decided that he was going to visit his girlfriend on his half hour lunch break...(It wasn't lunch that he was having), He returned two and a half hours later, told me his lateness was "unavoidable"...I told him that me firing his butt was also "unavoidable" as well.

I won that "Worst Dad/Worst Ex-Husband of the year award"...However the other employees were never so much as one minute late for anything job related thereafter...Guess they figured that if i would fire my own son, they really didn't want to "play" with me...lol...DAMIEN
As the french say:Por encourager Les autres. (to encourage the others). It works.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 amI am getting old. I remember days of yore when kids were able to deal with life's problems without complete meltdowns. What went wrong? Where did we fail them by not making them tougher?
Not all (female?) kids are helpless. Going back a while, my mother would strip-down the engines in her Austin 7s for regular servicing in the 1930s. My daughter is the one I'd go to, if she hadn't moved, if I wanted any welding or lathe work done. Yes, I'm IT here but that's my speciality but otherwise technical items aren't sexist.

Your daughter calling on you rather than thinking is simply an attitude. How to resolve it I don't know. Basically teach - Stop, Think, Try something.

There are some with the attitude, "I'm female and it is technical, 'Help'." There are others, "If you can do it so can I."

As far as females, we gave them the vote here first so, "You've got it, you figure it out." Also who was the first computer programmer? Admittedly Babbage didn't get the computer finished (early 1800s) for her to use and it finally got going and in the British museum, about 1990s.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:12 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 amI am getting old. I remember days of yore when kids were able to deal with life's problems without complete meltdowns. What went wrong? Where did we fail them by not making them tougher?
Not all (female?) kids are helpless. Going back a while, my mother would strip-down the engines in her Austin 7s for regular servicing in the 1930s. My daughter is the one I'd go to, if she hadn't moved, if I wanted any welding or lathe work done. Yes, I'm IT here but that's my speciality but otherwise technical items aren't sexist.

Your daughter calling on you rather than thinking is simply an attitude. How to resolve it I don't know. Basically teach - Stop, Think, Try something.

There are some with the attitude, "I'm female and it is technical, 'Help'." There are others, "If you can do it so can I."

As far as females, we gave them the vote here first so, "You've got it, you figure it out." Also who was the first computer programmer? Admittedly Babbage didn't get the computer finished (early 1800s) for her to use and it finally got going and in the British museum, about 1990s.
Men have only two advantages over women--more average body strength and the ability to make sperm--and one disadvantage: too much testosterone.

:wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Men have only two advantages over women--more average body strength and the ability to make sperm--and one disadvantage: too much testosterone.

True that. I just want the girls to be able to handle all of lifes little problems instead of being weak millenials who go to the fainting couch as soon as they encounter a little difficulty and demand "trigger warnings" on life.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:37 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm

True that. I just want the girls to be able to handle all of lifes little problems instead of being weak millenials who go to the fainting couch as soon as they encounter a little difficulty and demand "trigger warnings" on life.
Totally agree!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Daaaaaaaaady! My computer is not working! It is not connecting to the Internet!

Me: Ok, follow these instructions.

Daughter: It's not working

Me: Did you follow the instructions?

Daughter: ......yes....well maybe....ok no.

Me: *&)(!@&$!!!

Daughter: I love you daddy! I'll bring both home this weekend so you can work on them.

Me: Fine.

So I am sitting here (in pain from my knee) troubleshooting her computers. So far I have found no issues. So using Occam's razor, I suspect it might be a bad ethernet cable. I have uninstalled a lot of cr*p from her systems that Microsoft installed like Teams, etc. I also turned off a massive number of start up applications that Microsoft installed and activated. I am also moving a large number of files from her drive to the external SSD to free up space on her NVME drive.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have uninstalled a lot of cr*p from her systems that Microsoft installed like Teams, etc. I also turned off a massive number of start up applications that Microsoft installed and activated. I am also moving a large number of files from her drive to the external SSD to free up space on her NVME drive.
"Hand a man,(girl), a fish and she will "eat" for a day...Teach a man,(girl), to fish and she will eat for a lifetime."
You won't be there forever to "feed" her, she will eventually need to learn how to "feed" herself, she's in college now, no time like the present...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:42 pm
I have uninstalled a lot of cr*p from her systems that Microsoft installed like Teams, etc. I also turned off a massive number of start up applications that Microsoft installed and activated. I am also moving a large number of files from her drive to the external SSD to free up space on her NVME drive.
"Hand a man,(girl), a fish and she will "eat" for a day...Teach a man,(girl), to fish and she will eat for a lifetime."
You won't be there forever to "feed" her, she will eventually need to learn how to "feed" herself, she's in college now, no time like the present...lol...DAMIEN
Far easier said than done even though I agree.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

My daughter sent me a message:

"My computer is trying to Update again"
it is Win10 of course.

Me:
"okay, I must have forgotten to set the new WiFi signals to "Limited Bandwidth"

yup, that is exactly what happened.
One of our MiFi hotspots bit the dirt, and it was replaced on Warranty.....

Even though I renamed the 2.4g and 5g signals the same, with the same passwords, it was easy for her to connect again.

the "new WiFi" link on her PC was not set to "Limited Bandwidth".

I refuse to allow a Windows PC to update, it was working just fine with the BIOS and hardware that is one it when we bought it, and it will stay that way from now on.

We never have any issues with that process, we don't click on bad links.

For my daughter, Updates are anathema to hell.
Microsloth insists on changing the fonts, and ACCESS quits working for her.

Her world is in Graphics, and it better not ever change, period.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

True she is already commenting that she could not get ahold of me yesterday when she got lost coming home and she had to figure it out herself. She did, and i am proud of her. Small steps, I showed her the network settings and what to look for in Windows, so she should have at least a start....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So very true. I try to show them, my oldest has become pretty independent, but I still have to get after her to update, just a reminder not doing it for her, with the sole exceptions of Nvidia video drivers on the Dell G7 she has. But I plan on showing her how to do it as soon as I can get some time. Time, now that is a concept, I never seem to have enough.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Time, now that is a concept, I never seem to have enough.
When your "on the job", there seems to never be enough time...That will change once your retired...lol...Then your going to be wondering what to do with yourself as that "urge" to be of help never seems to go away...lol...DAMIEN
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 amThat will change once you're retired...lol...Then you're going to be wondering what to do with yourself as that "urge" to be of help never seems to go away...lol...DAMIEN
Then, when retired, you end up at the Men's Shed and "How do I do this?", "I've got a bunch of computers, would you like them?", "How do we do the banking via computer?", "My bread-maker doesn't work, help." (thermal fuses blown), "This 1946 Singer sewing machine needs rewiring." (no earth wiring back in those days) etc. etc......
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The closest Men's Shed is 600+ miles from me. I am so ready to go, and I am just utterly exhausted. As it is I am not sure how to "turn it off" since I have done it for the last 27+ years. But I am working on it.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 am The closest Men's Shed is 600+ miles from me.
So start a nearby one. That should keep you busy. Any suggestions on systems, contact me and I can point you to resources or systems. The very first one is a generic email address, not a personal one.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:59 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 am The closest Men's Shed is 600+ miles from me.
So start a nearby one. That should keep you busy. Any suggestions on systems, contact me and I can point you to resources or systems. The very first one is a generic email address, not a personal one.
Thank you, perhaps one day when I have time after I have retired. They sound like really really great places for men to be men, and help each other out.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am
Time, now that is a concept, I never seem to have enough.
When your "on the job", there seems to never be enough time...That will change once your retired...lol...Then your going to be wondering what to do with yourself as that "urge" to be of help never seems to go away...lol...DAMIEN
A buddy suggested that after I retire, I make a deal with the Sheriff that I will come in and do any background checks on new deputies since I have done that for the last 20 years. Without bragging (too much) I take that job muy serious and do my best to make sure we do not get...problematic candidates. It would give me something to do.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I'm almost in Texas :D
living 30 miles south of the Kansas state line at Coffeyville, KS

"Dad, the printer quit, it won't even let me clean the heads anymore"

I have a thread on that here, turns out Epson printers have a counter after it reaches 100 Cleaning Cycles, it stops dead in its' tracks and will NOT advance.

The Waste Ink tank has to be removed/cleaned or Replaced.

job for later today.... sigh...
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”