Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by MurphCID »

OMFG! I updated the Spouse Unit's new laptop to the 21H2 update and it took 25 MINUTES!!!! The thing stalled at 20% and just kept spinning before FINALLY updating. Then a huge "UPDATE TO WINDOWS 11 NOW" banner appeared. I got rid of it, but confused?! I've been playing with Windows 11 and it really seems to be full of ad ware, crapware, spyware etc. But it has a pretty look and pretty fonts.... until you get into it then it looks like Windows 98/XP. A new coat of paint and lots of spyware/adware on the old Windows 98/XP system.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 pm
rossdv8 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 pm Isn't it crazy that the Local PD and the so-called University Police don't have a Crisis Communications Protocol. So every time there is a rape or a bomb scare on campus - the Police Department and the Uni Police have a functional system in place to disseminate (it's too early in the morning for these big words. . ) information accurately.

We see just the same degree of stupidity here in Oz.
Stupidity is spreading faster than Omicron.
No kidding! I am still annoyed at the University Police for not alerting the students via text instead of running around screaming at them to lock down and get to their dorms. Daughter tells me that several girls she knows claim to have heard shots (there were none), and seen criminals running on campus (there were none). But UPD just ran around shreiking, which once more shows why University cops have a poor reputation among law enforcement (many if not most cannot get a real cop job...). The one girl who claimed to have heard shots in her hallway got brutally taken apart by other girls who live in the same hallway....
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:06 pm . . . . many if not most cannot get a real cop job...)
It's the same with the military - some of the stolen valor videos are ridiculous - these guys going to malls and in public in military uniforms claiming to be Special Forces and Army Rangers etc. At least get a hair cut and go on line and get a copy of AR 670-1 and get the uniform right.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:28 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:06 pm . . . . many if not most cannot get a real cop job...)
It's the same with the military - some of the stolen valor videos are ridiculous - these guys going to malls and in public in military uniforms claiming to be Special Forces and Army Rangers etc. At least get a hair cut and go on line and get a copy of AR 670-1 and get the uniform right.
I have seen those guys....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:41 pm
majpooper wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:28 pm
I have seen those guys....
I've seen videos of a lot of them...starting on 01/06/2021.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have never had the honor . . . which is probably a good thing for them . . . . and for me.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:02 pm I have never had the honor . . . which is probably a good thing for them . . . . and for me.
Yeah, I have never gotten in their face, but I have a co-worker who went ape..feces on one of them (he has two purple hearts, and PTSD).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just tried yesterday to give the oldest daughter the old Darter Pro so she could play with Linux, she declined.

She told me; "Daddy, Linux is for old guys, and besides it cannot run anything real, it is ugly, cannot connect my phone (iPhone), has no iTunes, Netflix (app), and you can't play games on it. So why do you keep telling me to use it? YOU play games on your Windows computer since Linux cannot play games. No, thank you, I will stay with my computers running Windows, it just works right. Plus that laptop is ugly, my HP Spectre is pretty, light, and has great battery life, your battery life sucks (she is right about this)."

Where did I go wrong?!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

OMFG! I updated the Spouse Unit's new laptop to the 21H2 update and it took 25 MINUTES!!!!
right there .. No Win-11 :?: far more up-to-date :arrow:

it is rather pretty .. Y'know . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am
OMFG! I updated the Spouse Unit's new laptop to the 21H2 update and it took 25 MINUTES!!!!
right there .. No Win-11 :?: far more up-to-date :arrow:

it is rather pretty .. Y'know . .
Oh no, I will not put Windows 11 on her system, she would vapor-lock. She HATES me updating versions of Windows. She fusses for weeks after each update because; "Things are not where they are supposed to be, and things don't work that way they always have worked!"
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 am
Oh no, I will not put Windows 11 on her system, she would vapor-lock. She HATES me updating versions of Windows. She fusses for weeks after each update because; "Things are not where they are supposed to be, and things don't work that way they always have worked!"
I locked my daughter's Win10 18 months ago, and refuse to let any updates come thru on it.
she runs ACCESS 100% of the time she is on the computer, and Win Updates screws that up so bad, it is horrific and I have better things to do than try and fix it again.

She doesn't surf the 'net, just uses Facebook and Access
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, it was NOT the flu the Spouse Unit and I had, it was Covid. Felt like the flu, lasted about three days feeling really bad. Never lost sense of taste or smell. As far as things go, this was pretty darn mild. People at work are dropping like flies with it, but back to work in a couple of days. Symptoms: sore throat, headaches, fever (never got over 100.8F), body aches, runny nose, body aches, and tired. Not much else.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:29 am Well, it was NOT the flu the Spouse Unit and I had, it was Covid. Felt like the flu, lasted about three days feeling really bad. Never lost sense of taste or smell. As far as things go, this was pretty darn mild. People at work are dropping like flies with it, but back to work in a couple of days. Symptoms: sore throat, headaches, fever (never got over 100.8F), body aches, runny nose, body aches, and tired. Not much else.
my daughter is a Rural Mail carrier and several of the other carriers are sick... all but one is pushing through with it though.

so far, she and I are doing well.
I mostly stay home on our little 6 acre grass patch, at 78, I don't need to be mingling around in the crowds.

we have most of our groceries either sent to us, or we get them in the "pick up line" and they are wheeled out to our car.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:29 am Well, it was NOT the flu the Spouse Unit and I had, it was Covid. Felt like the flu, lasted about three days feeling really bad. Never lost sense of taste or smell. As far as things go, this was pretty darn mild. People at work are dropping like flies with it, but back to work in a couple of days. Symptoms: sore throat, headaches, fever (never got over 100.8F), body aches, runny nose, body aches, and tired. Not much else.
I'm sorry you and your better half got Covid but I'm glad that it was mild and, hopefully, you all won't having any lasting effects from it. I got an email from daughter-in-law up in the Dallas area last Saturday saying that she, my son, and their two children (late teens to early twenties) had gotten Covid. They had been in pretty rough shape for 12 days but were getting better. She thinks they got it at a football game and admitted they hadn't been boosted yet. I spoke to my "little" sister Sunday and she said that my niece and three year old grand nephew had it but it was pretty mild. What has me worried is my niece is pregnant.

A friend of mine over in CA had plan on going to Oregon with her husband to visit their son and daughter-in-law but had to postpone the trip because her son got it. Fortunately, his was a mild case.

People, the Omincron variant, even though not as bad as Delta overall, spreads a lot easier and, if you aren't fully vaccinated and boosted, you are far more like to get very sick, hospitalized, or die. In fact, it is the unvaccinated and undervacinated who are the bulk of the ones choking our hospitals and dying right now. I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent how healthy anyone is or what healthy practices they may follow, the only way we are going to get Covid under control is to get the damned shots and booster and, while this variant is still going strong, wear your masks and practice social distancing. Don't make unnecessary trips and stay away from public spaces as much as possible.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

When the Ranger and I went to the prison in Gatesville, Texas yesterday to speak with an inmate on a 30 year old cold case murder, I walked in (after the search), and had a swab stuck about 8 feet up my nose for ANOTHER covid test. I was negative thank goodness. But it was an anxious moment. Long day. Then I get home, and I am relaxing, when the bat phone rings, and it is dispatch, they tell me that they cannot get in contact with my investigator (I later found out they were calling the wrong number), and as the supervisor I needed to contact a patrol deputy. I did, and it was only with the greatest self restraint that I kept from calling him a &!^!$!! moron. He asked me to handle something that had no business ever being forwarded to CID, and his sergeant told him to call since he was "too busy". I kept control of my temper and told him in nauseating detail how to handle something he should have known how to handle since the deputy had been with us for over two years. It took me an hour to calm down. I seriously wanted to call his sergeant and ask him if he could find his...hindparts with both hands, or was he just that *&!&!!! lazy?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Windows 21H2 on the Spouse Unit's machine. So far I am at 20% installation, and it has been 25 minutes. Don't you just love Windows? For some reason it is re-installing the update?! Or is it a new update? There is no way to tell.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

HONEY!!! THE NEW COMPUTER IS BROKEN!!!! IT WILL NOT TURN ON!

Me: Did you forget to turn it off?

Spouse Unit: NO! I am sure I shut it down, and closed the lid.

Me: OK let me see. Goes over and checks, yep its dead, Jim. Hmmmm plugs in system. After a few minutes it shows 1% charge. "Honey, your computer is fixed!"

Spouse Unit: It's your fault that I did not turn it off properly, if you had just made sure I checked that I had turned it off, this would not have happened!

*sigh*
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

don't you just luv it when folks don't use horse sense to figure things out?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If something goes wrong you are responsible. Isn't it charming when the family comes to you for such things.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:04 am If something goes wrong you are responsible. Isn't it charming when the family comes to you for such things.
When I was a little child in the 1970s, I said to myself “If I don't have kids, I won't have to support their non-libre operating system choices.”

Yep, that's what I said.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”