Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by deepakdeshp »

For a change I see MurphCID happy with Msquish.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:15 am For a change I see MurphCID happy with Msquish.
Only because this time it was relatively painless. I could do the same thing with a Linux Mint installation in 15 minutes..... Also the hardware works fine also which is good. 24gb of RAM is nice, but almost too much.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am still having some issues mounting a dvd drive under Mint so that the Spouse Unit can play DVD movies while she sews if need me. For some odd reason the DVD drive does not show up at all, but I can force it to play under VLC which is driving me to distraction since I am unsure why this is working in the way it is and not showing as a mounted drive.

For the vast majority of what I do, and what I need a computer for, I LOVE LINUX! I just wish (cr)Apple would release iTunes for Linux, I could even just have one system with Photoshop.... But I am a BASIC user, I am not a Guru or Power User, I just want it to handle my basic tasks. Also no BSODs on Linux.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Servicing, changing RAM and "disk" - a hammer, large screwdriver or if desperate, a crowbar. One I did, 20 screws on the underside, at least 5 under the keyboard and then crowbarred one corner open to get at the disk to fit an SSD.

Other laptops, Toshiba Tecra, one screw and the disk is out, Lenovo?, 2 screws and the disk cover off.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I remember fixing some company HHDs with a 10 lb sledge once.

the PCs were being sent to salvage, and we were told to "destroy" the drives in the most expeditious manner possible, and show photos of the results.

we peons in the IT tech department had a lot of fun :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

End up calling it a day early due to sinus migraine, so I did not finish all my tasks. Decided to boot that old Darter Pro which is running Pop OS with the 5.15 kernel, and as I have written System 76 (they have no other way to send feedback...) that I see are real problems that Mint has fixed: 1) TURN OFF THE DARN TRACKPAD WHEN A MOUSE IS ATTACHED!!!!! I keep deleting what I just typed, and this pisses me off. 2) Right click to uninstall. Without these features, POP OS will never be good enough for daily use.

Ok out of Gnome POP OS and back into Cinnamon which just fricking works. After using Gnome for a bit, my opinion has not changed at all, Gnome sucks. Once more System 76 has no real way to send feedback at all which bothers me in a way. Since I woke up at 3 am and could not get back to sleep so I decided to update things, and just start the day. I will finish the set up on the old laptop which is now the family emergency laptop. I still need to install O&OSHUTUP 10 and CCleaner to keep the registry "fresh".
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 am End up calling it a day early due to sinus migraine...
I used to get some really bad sinus infections and their delightful headaches until I had surgery to open up the passages. It made a world of difference.

I used to get some killer migraines (not as bad as most people's with migraines but murderous none the less) but, once I had been on my hormone therapy for a year or so, they went away (doing happy dance...think of the hippos in Disney's Fantasia).

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 am ...real problems that Mint has fixed: 1) TURN OFF THE DARN TRACKPAD WHEN A MOUSE IS ATTACHED!!!!! I keep deleting what I just typed, and this pisses me off...
You and me three! Being able to automagically disable a trackpad when a mouse (or a mouse receiver, in the case of my Logitech rodents) is one of the greatest features of Mint!

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 am ...I still need to install O&OSHUTUP 10 and CCleaner to keep the registry "fresh".
Be careful with CCleaner. That thing is as dangerous as Bleachbit, if not worse (it has also become spyware of sorts; type in "ccleaner" and "spyware" together in your search engine and see how many hits you will get). The only reason I kept it on my old Widwoes 7 machines was fro wiping HDDs. before wiping an HDD, I would install CCleaner, disable everything I could and still be able to wipe an HDD (or more), then when finished, I would uninstall it. I used Glary Utilities for sanitizing the registry (and do a few other things I don't remember now); it was much safer.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:30 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 am End up calling it a day early due to sinus migraine...
I used to get some really bad sinus infections and their delightful headaches until I had surgery to open up the passages. It made a world of difference.

I used to get some killer migraines (not as bad as most people's with migraines but murderous none the less) but, once I had been on my hormone therapy for a year or so, they went away (doing happy dance...think of the hippos in Disney's Fantasia).

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 am ...real problems that Mint has fixed: 1) TURN OFF THE DARN TRACKPAD WHEN A MOUSE IS ATTACHED!!!!! I keep deleting what I just typed, and this pisses me off...
You and me three! Being able to automagically disable a trackpad when a mouse (or a mouse receiver, in the case of my Logitech rodents) is one of the greatest features of Mint!

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 am ...I still need to install O&OSHUTUP 10 and CCleaner to keep the registry "fresh".
Be careful with CCleaner. That thing is as dangerous as Bleachbit, if not worse (it has also become spyware of sorts; type in "ccleaner" and "spyware" together in your search engine and see how many hits you will get). The only reason I kept it on my old Widwoes 7 machines was fro wiping HDDs. before wiping an HDD, I would install CCleaner, disable everything I could and still be able to wipe an HDD (or more), then when finished, I would uninstall it. I used Glary Utilities for sanitizing the registry (and do a few other things I don't remember now); it was much safer.
Thanks for the tip on Ccleaner. I use it on all the Windows machines to rid registry of cruft, which keeps it running semi-fresh. I'll look for Glary. One of the best features of MInt is the ability to turn off the trackpad using my little Logitech mouse. I keep hitting the trackpad when I type on all my laptops and it sucks to watch the huge post I just spent quite a while typing to be wiped out in a single go.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:43 pm ...One of the best features of MInt is the ability to turn off the trackpad using my little Logitech mouse. I keep hitting the trackpad when I type on all my laptops and it sucks to watch the huge post I just spent quite a while typing to be wiped out in a single go.
Yeah, I used to have the same problems. I have mine set to automagically shut off the *&^%$#@! trackpad anytime a USB mouse or mouse receiver dongle is present (I love my wireless rodents!). To get the trackpad back, all I need to do is yank the cord or dongle (although why I would want to that is beyond me).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:30 pm

I suffered from clogged Sinus passages from the age of 0 months until about 10 years ago, when a properly educated doctor advised me to have my nose straightened out, and roto rooter my sinus passages.

that helped a lot, but, my Eustachian tubes have always been blocked, and still are...
so, I take a lot a "Mucus Relief" everyday.... "guaifenesin" , like three 400 mg tabs ....
if I don't my ears stop up and get infected.
Last edited by SMG on Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed extra close quote so quote attribution is now correct.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

First thing (one of the first) things when I do an installation is "Switch off Pad if USB mouse attached", "Switch off pad if typing", both OFF.

Headaches, used to get them and wonder if it was not drinking enough water in summer. Not sucking on a bottle all the time, just go an get a drink every couple of hours. Not had any problems for a decade or so.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I used to have blockage of my nose as a child. The following has cured me permanently,and now I am 62 years. Worth trying IMO, it's cheap and there are no side effects whatsoever.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jalneti ... zjhXY,st:0
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

deepakdeshp wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:19 pm I used to have blockage of my nose as a child. The following has cured me permanently,and now I am 62 years. Worth trying IMO, it's cheap and there are no side effects whatsoever.
I use one regularly, I have to otherwise I am miserable at certain times of the year. This time of year, in this part of Texas the Mountain Cedar trees release the substance I am the most allergic to into the air. And it lasts for at least a month to month and a half.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:19 pm I used to have blockage of my nose as a child. The following has cured me permanently,and now I am 62 years. Worth trying IMO, it's cheap and there are no side effects whatsoever.
I have been using Arm & Hammer "Simply Saline" in the 3% sodium version for decades.
the lessor percentages are just about useless, all they do is mist up the nose, the 3% will actually help wash out the clogged passages.

I have tried the 'Netti Pot' and hate the darn thing, too much trouble to use it, and keep it clean....
This stuff in a can, is always sterile, easy to carry with you.
I search eBay for package deals and buy it in bulk, much cheaper than over the counter, where the 3% is rarely ever stocked.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Right now doing cast iron tech support, re-coating all my cast iron cookware. A bit Smokey but we’ll worth it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:56 am
I have been using Arm & Hammer "Simply Saline" in the 3% sodium version for decades.
the lessor percentages are just about useless, all they do is mist up the nose, the 3% will actually help wash out the clogged passages.

I have tried the 'Netti Pot' and hate the darn thing, too much trouble to use it, and keep it clean....
I search eBay for package deals and buy it in bulk, much cheaper than over the counter, where the 3% is rarely ever stocked.

I use NeilMed squirt bottles for rinsing out my nasal passages (per an allergist's suggestion). It works like a nettipot but is not messy. NeilMed also makes packets of the salt, with a buffering agent, used to mix the saline. They recommend using distilled water but I've found warm tap water works just fine. I just rinse the bottle with hot water after using it. You can get them on Amazon.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:41 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:56 am

I use NeilMed squirt bottles for rinsing out my nasal passages (per an allergist's suggestion). It works like a nettipot but is not messy. NeilMed also makes packets of the salt, with a buffering agent, used to mix the saline. They recommend using distilled water but I've found warm tap water works just fine. I just rinse the bottle with hot water after using it. You can get them on Amazon.
The doc prescribed something called Entosal which is similar, I just quit refilling it. Today is miserable, worse than yesterday. Mountain Cedar at 24,000+ particles in the air, over 50% increase from yesterday. I am actually feverish, so had to take a Zyrtec.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well it looks like our internet modem/router has gone on the fritz, so I have Spectrum coming out tomorrow night to look at it. We are getting minimal speeds, and lots of lag and buffering. Perhaps I can get them to switch to a faster/more modern modem-router. I have been putting up with "Honey the internet is slow!" all day.

Ugh, I hate that I have to go back to work tomorrow, and we are 100% masked. This is going to suck.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:32 pm Well it looks like our internet modem/router has gone on the fritz, so I have Spectrum coming out tomorrow night to look at it. We are getting minimal speeds, and lots of lag and buffering. Perhaps I can get them to switch to a faster/more modern modem-router. I have been putting up with "Honey the internet is slow!" all day.

Ugh, I hate that I have to go back to work tomorrow, and we are 100% masked. This is going to suck.
I got rid of the modem/router provided by my ISP with in a year of getting it and installed my own modem/router. Besides being far more reliable, I didn't have to pay rent for the ISP's junk. I later replaced it with a separate modem and router. I have a second router in service now since I thought the previous modem was going bad; it turned out to be the router. I still have the previous modem as a backup now and, once my new beast of a router arrives next week and I get it installed and set up, my current router will become a backup. By having my own equipment, I don't have to wait for the ISPs techs (often incompetent contractors) to show up to get me back online.
Jeannie

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I thought getting a separate modem and router is passé now. You get 2 in one efficient router , modem . I had a copper wire connection previously, I got it changed to fibre connection 6 months ago and the speed is 6 times more compared to the copper one and the ISP charges are the same.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Open Chat”