Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by rossdv8 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:16 am Looks like with TLP enabled, I am going to get 5-7 hours at best. Which is not terrible in the grand scheme of things. Nothing like the power time I get with the Lemur Pro.
But a heap better than the hour or so we used to get on our Monochrome LCD laptops with tiny screens in 1991 :D

Portable computing has come quite a way in such a short time. (Looking for a 'tongue in cheek Smiley)
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rossdv8 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:05 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:16 am Looks like with TLP enabled, I am going to get 5-7 hours at best. Which is not terrible in the grand scheme of things. Nothing like the power time I get with the Lemur Pro.
But a heap better than the hour or so we used to get on our Monochrome LCD laptops with tiny screens in 1991 :D

Portable computing has come quite a way in such a short time. (Looking for a 'tongue in cheek Smiley)
No kidding! It's not terrible and better than many laptops.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well today was interesting; After going to church with the familia, we went over to my in laws house, and started the food making and consuming process. If you have never experienced an Easter meal with a Mexican American family, let me tell you, lack of food is NOT something you will ever encounter. OMG, I had more than enough to eat. Various salsas ranging from mild to HOLY CRAP(!) THIS STUFF IS HOT! The habanero salsa was appropriately volcanic. As the only Anglo there, it was fun as always. The youngest had to make a Starbucks run, she just could not spend one day away from Starbucks, and so her cousin went with her (of course, those two are two peas in a pod). Spent a good part of it speaking with the nephew and him telling me about his new job with Amazon data, and how he has to learn linux. He was interested that I loaded Linux Mint onto the Mac. The other brother in law and I spent plenty of time talking tech, and such. He and I will start doing tech projects together after I retire.

The big one is to set up a newer/better/faster Wireless network at my house. My other project is to entice him away from Ubuntu and onto Mint. After we finally left, and took some food home with us, my youngest decided she needed to go back to Starbucks to work on her homework since her professors dropped many assignments which had to be turned in today. She says that she concentrates better at Starbucks. The Spouse Unit came home and took a two hour nap and then went over to help her sister at her new house. I think I will settle down for a nice snooze tonight. Tomorrow is my 28th anniversary at the Sheriff's Office, and I only have a few more weeks to go.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Just ending up my own Family Reunion, 1st we have all been to in ages, at least with me involved.

at 79, can't afford to miss too many of these things.

Food? wow, and their choices upset my stomach :(
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:20 pm Just ending up my own Family Reunion, 1st we have all been to in ages, at least with me involved.

at 79, can't afford to miss too many of these things.

Food? wow, and their choices upset my stomach :(
It was good, we had a nice time, and as I said before I did not eat supper since I was still so full. Came home and played on the Lina-Mac a little, nothing major, I was ready for a long Easter nap, and my knee was giving me heck with pain yesterday. Watched a few Jayztwocents videos on YouTube. He is about the only YouTuber who builds computers that I have kept watching.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 am ...Watched a few Jayztwocents videos on YouTube. He is about the only YouTuber who builds computers that I have kept watching.
Linus Tech Tips recently did a 2.5 hour computer build video (most of all he has been doing recently, buildwise, is servers). I have it on my playlist but I haven't watched it yet.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:17 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 am ...Watched a few Jayztwocents videos on YouTube. He is about the only YouTuber who builds computers that I have kept watching.
Linus Tech Tips recently did a 2.5 hour computer build video (most of all he has been doing recently, buildwise, is servers). I have it on my playlist but I haven't watched it yet.
I noticed that he has been into "big iron" lately.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Just back from my once a Lustrum colonoscopy. For those who have not undergone this...delightful...event, let me give you this: https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv- ... 28847.html It is true, so very, very true. But as he states the actual colonoscopy is not something you remember. My only thought since fasting since wednesday is I AM HUNGRY NOW!!!! Chik-Fil-A had too long a line, so I had the wife drive me to McDs where I got two sausage mcmuffins with added Canadian Bacon, and a hash brown each. I needed the four main food groups to start the refill process (fat, grease, salt and cholesterol). Instead of a gallon, I got to drink two "delightful" 8 oz bottles that left this utterly vile taste in my mouth that made me want to drag my tongue on the carpet, or lick the dog which would probably taste better. It took about two hours total from check in to leaving (0600-0800), and once they put the sleepy meds in, I was gone in about 20 seconds, waking up feeling drunk which quickly went away.

So now that I have a day at home, I plan on spending the day on Linux...and coffee. Lots of coffee. On the up side, I have lost 4 more pounds, which is nice, BP was excellent, so overall not bad. The Dave Barry article is one of the funniest things I have ever read, and I read it each time I have to have one. Enjoy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Chik-Fil-A had too long a line,
Our local Chik-Fil-A has closed the dining area for good.
they have 3 drive up lines and outside order takers using an iPad or some such thing.

Across from their entrance in Walmart's Parking Lost, they have 8 dedicated parking spots.
You order via a Smartphone app and note the Number posted on the sign in front of your car.

The Chik-Fil-A Android App, probably iOS also, is tied to a Credit Card and auto pay is established.

roughly 5 minutes later, your order is delivered to your car.
While we munch it down, we note that all of the cars in the 3 drive up lanes, have not yet even made it to the Order Window... :x
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Our local Chik-Fil-A is the same way - long lines near a crowded intersection and next to 2 other fast food stores and a Starbucks. Cars often have to stop to let people out on to the street, backing up traffic even further.

I used to like Chik-Fil-A until I saw that a spicy chicken sandwich with small waffle fries maxed me out on my daily sodium limit.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I know its got lots of salt, but sometimes it is just what you need... I like the spicy sandwich very much, but I also like the regular original one quite well too.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:00 am Just back from my once a Lustrum colonoscopy.
I told the Dr. before they put me under that when I wake up if he is smoking a cigarette with a smile on his face that we were going to have a talk and he wasn't going to like the subject. He laughed. It's just not right shoving a camera up someones behind. I also was so hungry after they released me that I was chewing the wood off all their chairs.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

HaveaMint wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:50 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:00 am Just back from my once a Lustrum colonoscopy.
I told the Dr. before they put me under that when I wake up if he is smoking a cigarette with a smile on his face that we were going to have a talk and he wasn't going to like the subject. He laughed. It's just not right shoving a camera up someones behind. I also was so hungry after they released me that I was chewing the wood off all their chairs.
I was starving, and so despite being told to take it easy, I chowed down on some Mc. D's They told me no driving all day which put a cramp in my plans, but I am making it up today. Weather is odd, so I am the only person at Black Rifle Coffee right now. I got here extra early since most days Saturday is insane....
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

After my last visit they reduced mine from once a year, to every three years. Not as good as yours - but better than looking forward to going through the excitement every Christmas.
On the other hand, for several years I learned that polyps were not just things that grew on the Great Barrier Reef . .
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have had two of those, 10 years apart, both free of anything found.

that last one hurt me bad, told the doc that is the last time you ever do that to me.... :!:
at 79, I'm not to worried about what might develop now.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:31 pm I know its got lots of salt, but sometimes it is just what you need... I like the spicy sandwich very much, but I also like the regular original one quite well too.
Got a Popeye's also nearby, found their spicy chicken sandwich more my liking. Bigger, spicier, and no where near those crazy lines.

Haven't yet tried the Colonel's sandwich offering.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:26 pm I have had two of those, 10 years apart, both free of anything found.

that last one hurt me bad, told the doc that is the last time you ever do that to me.... :!:
at 79, I'm not to worried about what might develop now.
Unique aspect of becoming a "senior" senior is responding back to a doctors wish list of tests with just one word - why?
Particularly so if already diagnosed with an underlying condition. If the incubation period of your newly found ailment exceeds that of what you know you already have why waste the time?
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:48 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:31 pm I know its got lots of salt, but sometimes it is just what you need... I like the spicy sandwich very much, but I also like the regular original one quite well too.
Got a Popeye's also nearby, found their spicy chicken sandwich more my liking. Bigger, spicier, and no where near those crazy lines.

Haven't yet tried the Colonel's sandwich offering.
I tried one, and it was not bad, tasty, but it seemed to have too much breading for me, plus it was cold by the time the Spouse Unit got it home.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Decided to change things a bit, and installed Pop!_OS on the mac book pro. I am seeing screen flickering on the monitor. Fractional scaling works great, it did not like my ethernet, and told me that I needed to grant it permission to run. The screen flickering thing is really bothering me. I turned off auto dimming and it seems to work. I am charging it right now. I will see how battery life is with TLP installed and active. Getting used to the Mac keyboard is somewhat a pain, since it is so much more compact than my other keyboards. I have installed my favorite programs, and told it to turn off the track pad completely since I use a mouse, and it does not have that wonderful Cinnamon feature of turn off trackpad when mouse is detected.

Apparently Pop OS has an issue with the Mac unless you disable screen dimming, it looks fine now. Memory usage is pretty terrible with Chrome and two tabs I am running at 2.53 gb of ram. I will play with this for a couple of weeks and then probably install something else to play with since the Macbook Pro is now my testing machine. Pop OS will stay and I will update to 22.04 as soon as it comes out. Then I will play with it for a while.

Kernel is:
murph@pop-os:~$ uname -r
5.16.15-76051615-generic

Start up and shutdown are pretty decent. The appearance is nice, with good clean fonts. Perhaps part of my font issue with Linux has been less than great panels? The nice thing here is the 13" MBP has a decent size for my desk. Things are a bit warm on the computer right now, perhaps that is a charging issue? I have the dock on autohide, which I am not sure about, but I will keep playing with it. Screen colors are good, not over blown, Icons are decent, I just wish I could change the color from Pop OS blue. I will be testing the speakers later on.

Sound is Mac level sound using Rhythmbox to play my iTunes library. Really solid sound. Power shows 5:30 remaining, not as good as the Lemur Pro with TLP, but still not bad. I am thinking that this could be a serious use of the Mac for testing distros. I need to get a second Magsafe charger in case mine goes Tango Uniform (TA). I think that I might take this one downstairs and replace the old Darter Pro with this mac. I just wonder what the 5.17 Kernel will bring to this old Macbook?

Two things I really miss on this distro is the right click to uninstall, which is almost a deal breaker for me, and the toggle in Cinnamon to disable trackpad when mouse is attached. Gnome sucks, it really sucks. I will most likely install their version of Cinnamon RSN.

Update: Their version of Cinnamon is somewhat crippled, and does not really work on the MBP as well since I really need fractional scaling on this monitor. I had to go back to Gnome which I really dislike. Also had a shutdown issue where I had to manually power off the laptop. Cinnamon on the MBP under POP OS is just not acceptable. I am looking forward to fractional scaling since I am using 150% here on Gnome. Gnome is a solution in search of a problem, and just is not as good as Cinnamon. In addition, putting Cinnamon on the MBP under Pop also re-installed the old version of LibreOffice which I had removed in Gnome, why it did this, I will never know. That was massively odd. Also I found duplicate folders, things were changed in the Gnome installation, plenty of issues which makes me think that Pop OS almost is forcing you to use Gnome no matter what, and it also causes plenty of problems if you add a second DE to the basic installation.
Last edited by MurphCID on Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

you know what is neat?

you keep comparing all the other OS products against MINT Cinnamon :mrgreen: and how much they lack.

Return to “Open Chat”