Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:13 pm you know what is neat?

you keep comparing all the other OS products against MINT Cinnamon :mrgreen: and how much they lack.
True. I discovered that POP OS now has issues with shutdown, which is annoying after installing Cinnamon. I have decided to go and install Fedora Cinnamon which at least will not have Gnome. Fedora is not as clean an installation as Mint, I can tell that it is designed as a server OS. I am planning on testing various distros on this machine. My main laptops are and will always stay on Mint. This is my play laptop since I have it available.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Fedora 35 is on board, dnfupdater locks up, had to go into terminal to update. That is running slow, again no ethernet is found, WiFi is found after a long delay. I am upgrading everything right now. I will give it an attempt or two before I am forced to re-install Mint. I really have no idea why these other distros end up glitching for me. Mint is the defacto ultimate distro that just seems to work on all my hardware. Installation of software is not bad just "sudo dnf install or sudo dnf update", right now it is hung installing the Mint Y icon set. Processor seems to use lots of power, but things are finally moving again. Dnfupdater just does not want to work.

UDATE: FARK FARK FARK!!! Fedora keeps locking up, the dnfupdater locks completely, It is back to Mint. Well I might try MX linux 21 AHS. This is annoying, yet instructive.

WHY CANNOT OTHER DISTOS WORK AS WELL AS MINT?!!!!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

chiefjim wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:48 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:31 pm I know its got lots of salt, but sometimes it is just what you need... I like the spicy sandwich very much, but I also like the regular original one quite well too.
Got a Popeye's also nearby, found their spicy chicken sandwich more my liking. Bigger, spicier, and no where near those crazy lines.

Haven't yet tried the Colonel's sandwich offering.
I don't like KFC. The one time I went to the one nearest me, the store was fithy, with trash on the floors and the floors and tables were sticky. The chicken itself was way too crispy (I tried two different kinds). Right now, I go to only one fast food restaurant, Subway, and that's because I can watch them make my sandwich and they are the only place where their employees are still masking up.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

FARK FARK FARK!!! MX Linux was really nice, but it kept losing the wifi connection, so I had to manually re-connect each time. Then the MBP started having issues. Errors booting into the USB, strange things. So I just bit the big one, and re-installed Mint. FARK IT, Mint just works. Got Mint 20.3 re-installed, set up and running fine in less time than it takes to install anything in Windows or (cr)Apple. Why is it that Mint just works?
Last edited by MurphCID on Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:11 pm
I don't like KFC. The one time I went to the one nearest me, the store was fithy, with trash on the floors and the floors and tables were sticky. The chicken itself was way too crispy (I tried two different kinds). Right now, I go to only one fast food restaurant, Subway, and that's because I can watch them make my sandwich and they are the only place where their employees are still masking up.
the local KFC here in Owasso, OK is the same way.
it used to be my daughter's favorite fast food joint, no more.

now it is chik-fil-le for both of us,
and Charlie's Chicken for me, as their Country Fried Steak is Tony the Tiger Great :!:
plus the local store is franchised by a senior guy and his wife, she makes damn sure that place is clean
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:48 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:31 pm I know its got lots of salt, but sometimes it is just what you need... I like the spicy sandwich very much, but I also like the regular original one quite well too.
Got a Popeye's also nearby, found their spicy chicken sandwich more my liking. Bigger, spicier, and no where near those crazy lines.

Haven't yet tried the Colonel's sandwich offering.
The one near us is filthy, surly employees, and the quality has suffered dramatically. We cannot eat there any longer. The decline of a formerly decent fast food place.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:45 pm
the local KFC here in Owasso, OK is the same way.
it used to be my daughter's favorite fast food joint, no more.

now it is chik-fil-le for both of us,
and Charlie's Chicken for me, as their Country Fried Steak is Tony the Tiger Great :!:
plus the local store is franchised by a senior guy and his wife, she makes damn sure that place is clean
I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent how good Chick-fil-A is or isn't I won't give them the time of day, let alone one cent of my money, due to their anti-LGBT employment practices and contributions to anti-LGBT politicians and organizations.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:36 pm FARK FARK FARK!!! MX Linux was really nice, but it kept losing the wifi connection, so I had to manually re-connect each time. Then the MBP started having issues. Errors booting into the USB, strange things. So I just bit the big one, and re-installed Mint. FARK IT, Mint just works. Got Mint 20.3 re-installed, set up and running fine in less time than it takes to install anything in Windows or (cr)Apple. Why is it that Mint just works?
Can't help but agree. As a quite new newbie I looked around a bit tried a few and settled on LM Cinnamon on one pooter (although the MATE does grab my attention) and MX21 on another. I like the challenge of the same but different that linux brings. Deepin was nice but it kept scolding me when I bypassed its ways of installing apps/software along lines of: this will be reported :oops: .

Nice challenge though changing prefs in Chinese (Thunderbird didn't have English language for the system or as dictionaries) . Great learning though and sweet onscreen stuff

The rock steady features of LM C 20.3 must surely be winners in an industrial, technical, academic, ... workplace sort of thing
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Oraticus wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:03 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:36 pm FARK FARK FARK!!! MX Linux was really nice, but it kept losing the wifi connection, so I had to manually re-connect each time. Then the MBP started having issues. Errors booting into the USB, strange things. So I just bit the big one, and re-installed Mint. FARK IT, Mint just works. Got Mint 20.3 re-installed, set up and running fine in less time than it takes to install anything in Windows or (cr)Apple. Why is it that Mint just works?
Can't help but agree. As a quite new newbie I looked around a bit tried a few and settled on LM Cinnamon on one pooter (although the MATE does grab my attention) and MX21 on another. I like the challenge of the same but different that linux brings. Deepin was nice but it kept scolding me when I bypassed its ways of installing apps/software along lines of: this will be reported :oops: .

Nice challenge though changing prefs in Chinese (Thunderbird didn't have English language for the system or as dictionaries) . Great learning though and sweet onscreen stuff

The rock steady features of LM C 20.3 must surely be winners in an industrial, technical, academic, ... workplace sort of thing
OMG, this was a day of computer learning and pain. But Mint is back on and working great. I wanted MX to work, it looked really nice, and had some really nice features, but alas. Oh well, I should have stuck with Mint....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Youngest daughter just called and she was almost in a wreck up at school. She said a guy on his cellphone almost "T-boned" her and forced her to swerve into a curb. I asked if she had her car camera running, and she did, she is going to go back to her house and plug in the SD card to check it out. I told her to save the video just in case. I explained to download it, and then transfer it to the external drive I got her. I got her a Samsung T7 1 TB SSD and she uses it as her backup drive. I am glad now we got her the car camera, I am thinking of getting one for my car now. They can make a difference when some jack-wagon hits you, or road rage happens. Highly recommended.

I think I am going to test distros this weekend on the old Mac again. I am thinking perhaps Mageia, or Zorin or maybe just plain Debian.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

this is the one I just bought, in the box, I am assembling it now to see how I want to mount it.

https://www.dashcam.co/collections/back ... kup-camera

I have 1 DVR Viewer and two Dash Cams.

One is going on the rear of the Toy Hauler so I can see the Traffic behind me, and help me back into those super tight forest campgrounds.

the other one, is going to sit on the Dash of the Truck looking at what we have coming at us.

the DVR viewer can support 4 cameras simultaneously.
left/right
front/back

Proof Positive if you need a lawyer to defend you, or just get the offender cited for the ticket, not you.

all Tesla EV cars have 4 cameras, I just watched a video on 10 of them that all were able to get the other car's driver cited ON SCENE, because the officer was able to REVIEW what happened immediately
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:24 pm this is the one I just bought, in the box, I am assembling it now to see how I want to mount it.

https://www.dashcam.co/collections/back ... kup-camera

I have 1 DVR Viewer and two Dash Cams.

One is going on the rear of the Toy Hauler so I can see the Traffic behind me, and help me back into those super tight forest campgrounds.

the other one, is going to sit on the Dash of the Truck looking at what we have coming at us.

the DVR viewer can support 4 cameras simultaneously.
left/right
front/back

Proof Positive if you need a lawyer to defend you, or just get the offender cited for the ticket, not you.

all Tesla EV cars have 4 cameras, I just watched a video on 10 of them that all were able to get the other car's driver cited ON SCENE, because the officer was able to REVIEW what happened immediately
I have become a believer in them. I will not put one in the Spouse Units car since she drives....poorly. The kids get car sick every time they have to ride with her.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I used to work for a guy, who constantly pushed on the throttle, then let up on it and coasted, it made me sick every time I rode with him
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Working on the old Darter Pro with LMDE 5 installed. It is like a new machine. I reset the Macbook Pro and will give it to a buddy who wants to try Linux since it is a good starter machine. The Darter Pro (Gen 1) is really doing well under the new LMDE 5 and I am currently using sudo dpkg -i *.deb to extract the latest and greatest Libre Office (7.3.2.2). It makes me happy. I am up on my day off since I got a call at 0600 from my investigator that set my temper off, and I was volcanically angry. I called this deputies sergeant and let him know in no uncertain terms just how angry I was. After a 20 minute call, where the sergeant kept apologizing, we got things straight. I am still mad. So I decided to work on my computers and watch Linux YouTube videos.

Also I got my property tax bill and I almost had a heart attack at what insane appraisal it was. There is no way that we gained $60,000 in value in ONE YEAR, especially when we have done NOTHING to the property! It is nuts. Just Nuts. Texas needs to get property taxes under control, we we will be in a world of hurt. Its all those folks from Californiastan moving here that are screwing things up. Ugh. Rant over.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I live in a small rural farm area and we are being invaded by folks that are trying to escape the big metro areas.

the land values here are doing the same, I bought my home in 2011 for $168k
the last appraisal had us sat in the 200k plus area

I have tried many times, to get "senior permanent value" set, but my retirement pension is about 3% above what the max is.... so my tax bill goes up every year, and my income stays flat numerically.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:05 am I live in a small rural farm area and we are being invaded by folks that are trying to escape the big metro areas.

the land values here are doing the same, I bought my home in 2011 for $168k
the last appraisal had us sat in the 200k plus area

I have tried many times, to get "senior permanent value" set, but my retirement pension is about 3% above what the max is.... so my tax bill goes up every year, and my income stays flat numerically.
Yeah we paid $117k, and now they want $260k for a house that has had NOTHING other than a shed in the back yard done to it.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:24 pm this is the one I just bought, in the box, I am assembling it now to see how I want to mount it.
One thing I have found on cameras with night vision is that when mounted behind glass the infrared reflects on glass and blinds the camera.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

HaveaMint wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:49 pm
One thing I have found on cameras with night vision is that when mounted behind glass the infrared reflects on glass and blinds the camera.
Hmmmm,
I wanted the night vision so I can see to back into Campground slots after dark.
that is a REAL PROBLEM, because Women do NOT associate Right and Left with the way the rear of the trailer needs to go.

both my wife and daughter....
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:55 pm Hmmmm,
I wanted the night vision so I can see to back into Campground slots after dark.
that is a REAL PROBLEM, because Women do NOT associate Right and Left with the way the rear of the trailer needs to go.

Maybe mount a reverse light on the trailer with toggle switch and open up the camera to disable the infrared. I went to motion lights at home and had to disable the infrared.
Or use a battery operated clip on light
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:55 pm
HaveaMint wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:49 pm
Hmmmm,

Please don't paint all women with the same brush. Besides me, I know many women who know which way the trailer needs to go, including a few OTR truckers.

Edit: correct spelling
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”