Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:14 pm
Daughter called from college and needed an urgent shipment of (MORE) clothes because she now NEEDS business casual for her sorority. Sigh
Welcome to "Greek" life...lol...DAMIEN
UGH yes. She is also having room-mate shock right now, and is not sure if her choice of dorm was the best for her.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

UGH yes. She is also having room-mate shock right now, and is not sure if her choice of dorm was the best for her.
OH...Don't worry about this one too much...She will be calling you soon enough to help her move out of the dorm and into the sorority house...lol...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:07 pm
OH...Don't worry about this one too much...She will be calling you soon enough to help her move out of the dorm and into the sorority house...lol...DAMIEN
Yeah. I told her last night to make darn sure she had ALL her systems fully charged and ready to go. She promised she would.... I have heard that somewhere before, usually as she is attempting to take MY Lemur Pro system. But she can't this time, so she might actually have to be responsible and not depend on Dad to make sure the systems are fully ready to go.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Youngest called me in an uproar, her professor who they have to address as Mx so and so rather than Mr. So and So so they do no "misgender" anyone (I told her to call him Professor (its more polite)) is making them use Power Point rather than Google docs. She was so upset that Power Point was demanding she sign into a Microsoft account before allowing her to use Power Point. I never had that issue, but after lots of tech support from both myself and my oldest we discovered she was trying to save online. Fixed that and now Power Point works fine on the little laptop. Apparently she thought she still had the Office 365 that she used at the local college. I never, ever set up with a Microsoft account. When she comes home I will show her how to use Libre Office to edit and save Power Point files.

She was crying also being homesick, and she expected college to be Unicorns and Rainbows with instant friends, and the like. I explained that College was training for being an adult, and very, very, very gently (so the Spouse Unit would not be annoyed) let her know that she didn't live here any more, she is now 21 and needs to learn to be an adult. So I also cooked many dishes and saved them so that when the Spouse Unit goes up this weekend to visit her, she can take her some of Daddy's home cooking.

I guess I have a hard time understanding this because when I turned 18 (in the dark ages of time), my father told me that my @ss was out the door, I could go to college, get a job, or join the Army, but I no longer lived in his house once I graduated from High School, his responsibility to me was over. Rough, but it made me grow up. I left and never really looked back and did what he told me to do: I went to College, joined the Army, and then got a job. How hard is it?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Looks like something went wrong, Wednesday my knee started hurting badly, yesterday it hurt so bad I went to the doc and got some steroids. Went home and could barely walk. Last night getting upstairs to the bedroom heard and felt two pops and I literally screamed with the pain. Today I cannot walk without help the knee and lower leg hurt so bad. So it looks like after the wife heads off to visit the youngest at college I will probably get my oldest to sneak me over to the emergency room because something is wrong very very wrong and I’ve never been in pain like I am right now. So I guess my tech-support is on me right now.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Dang! That sucks! Hopefully, it isn't too serious and you can get over it quickly. You are smart to go see a doctor for it!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 am Dang! That sucks! Hopefully, it isn't too serious and you can get over it quickly. You are smart to go see a doctor for it!
Have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon Wednesday
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:16 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 am Dang! That sucks! Hopefully, it isn't too serious and you can get over it quickly. You are smart to go see a doctor for it!
Good luck!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 am
Good luck!
Thanks, I am on crutches and it seems to help some. I have never been in as much pain as the other day.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:17 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 am

Good luck!
Thanks, I am on crutches and it seems to help some. I have never been in as much pain as the other day.
I know your pain. I blew my knee out over a decade ago and I couldn't even get out of the house to go see a doctor until three days afterwards since I have to go down 3.5 steps to get out of my house (and, of course, my crutches were outside in the shed :roll: I had to hop one legged up and down the steps). The only pain I've had that was worse were two or three times my back went out and forgot to come home (I have chronic back trouble but, most of the time, it's not too bad).

If your doctor recommends surgery, be sure to get a second opinion. Even if you get surgery, you will need physical therapy afterwards and it's possible that physical therapy alone may not take any longer. My surgeon recommended either surgery followed by physical therapy or just therapy only; I opted for the latter and have no regrets.

Knee pain must be in the water. My son is in the Dallas area and he is having problems lately with the knee he blew out playing football in High School.
Jeannie

Lert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lert »

Hi Murph,
Bad luck about your knee. I had the dubious pleasure of having had a total knee replacement 13 days ago. I can hobble around but will need a few months of physio to come good. My knee was bone on bone and pretty painful. In my experience, doctors are not inclined to replace joints unnecessarily so best to just follow the best advice you can get.. good luck!!
You may ask why the French eat snails.. It's because they don't like fast food..
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lert wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:48 am Hi Murph,
Bad luck about your knee. I had the dubious pleasure of having had a total knee replacement 13 days ago. I can hobble around but will need a few months of physio to come good. My knee was bone on bone and pretty painful. In my experience, doctors are not inclined to replace joints unnecessarily so best to just follow the best advice you can get.. good luck!!
Thanks. Crutches help a lot, waiting for Wednesday to see the doc.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Going to work today on crutches, I have to stay in the office, and cannot help on anything outside of the office at all. But they are allowing me to wear tennis shoes instead of the usual cowboy boots. I have more than enough work to do at my desk. I have a 1991 cold case that all I need to do is get the report polished, and it is ready to go for a murder charge (mom's boyfriend beat the two year old to death). Thanks to some really impressive new DNA technology we can now get older cases solved. It always amazes me how many cases went cold because they did not have the technological tools to solve them back then. We managed to solve a 1983 cold case and get a conviction on the killer with new tech.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MRI scheduled for next week, I was not thrilled by the ginormous gauge needle that the doctor put in my knee to remove fluid, and inject the cortizone yesterday. There might or might not have been some minor yelling at the pain. But the knee feels 100% better today though. I can actually take a couple of steps without crutches (only a couple). The Spouse Unit was watching, and she turned a little green, and said she had some sympathy pain.....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:38 am MRI scheduled for next week, I was not thrilled by the ginormous gauge needle that the doctor put in my knee to remove fluid, and inject the cortizone yesterday. There might or might not have been some minor yelling at the pain. But the knee feels 100% better today though. I can actually take a couple of steps without crutches (only a couple). The Spouse Unit was watching, and she turned a little green, and said she had some sympathy pain.....
I'm glad you got some relief from the pain! Cortizone shots can be fun to get but they work so well as long as you don't over do them. I've had them in both of my shoulders when I had adhesive capsulitis (aka frozen shoulder aka words my Mama told me not to use) in them (fortunately, not both at the same time although their was a wee bit of overlap) and in my feet (I swear that needle was two feet long although at least 18" was probably my imagination). I also had to get physical Therapy for both shoulders; the pain in my feet pretty much went away after I retired from my last job (aka, hell on Earth).

Here's hoping the MRI doesn't turn up anything too serious!
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:39 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:38 am MRI scheduled for next week, I was not thrilled by the ginormous gauge needle that the doctor put in my knee to remove fluid, and inject the cortizone yesterday. There might or might not have been some minor yelling at the pain. But the knee feels 100% better today though. I can actually take a couple of steps without crutches (only a couple). The Spouse Unit was watching, and she turned a little green, and said she had some sympathy pain.....
I'm glad you got some relief from the pain! Cortizone shots can be fun to get but they work so well as long as you don't over do them. I've had them in both of my shoulders when I had adhesive capsulitis (aka frozen shoulder aka words my Mama told me not to use) in them (fortunately, not both at the same time although their was a wee bit of overlap) and in my feet (I swear that needle was two feet long although at least 18" was probably my imagination). I also had to get physical Therapy for both shoulders; the pain in my feet pretty much went away after I retired from my last job (aka, hell on Earth).

Here's hoping the MRI doesn't turn up anything too serious!
Thanks. I had never been poked by a large gauge needle before, and let me tell you I can live without a repeat of the experience!

Facetimed the youngest at school, woke her up (at 0845!!) and she told me that her Ikea plant fell off the wall knocked over here humidifier (small one), and water got on her desk. She managed to get it before it got to her laptop. So as a quick fix I had her place her laptop on top of a clipboard with the clip down for the time being. We are going to send her the IKEA laptop desk I had bought for the Spouse Unit (who never uses it). She thinks I am the smartest dad ever! I am managing to keep her fooled for now. I need more caffeine!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:49 am ...I had never been poked by a large gauge needle before, and let me tell you I can live without a repeat of the experience!...
You should have seen the gauge of the needles I used to give my ex her estrogen shots. I enjoyed giving her those shots; it was the only way I could get away with needling her. :lol:

All seriousness :?: aside, I don't like needles but I don't mind them. However, not everyone is like that and there's nothing wrong with that; different strokes for different folks.
MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:49 am ...I need more caffeine!
Hi, I'm Jeannie and I'm a caffeine addict.

OK, technically, I'm not since caffeine is one of the few addictive substances one can actually permanently kick (nasal decongestant spray is another one; I kicked that stuff about 50 years ago). I had to swear off caffeine for good a couple of decades ago because I was addicted to it back then. Caffeine (Diet Coke was my delivery of choice) did nothing for me--it didn't keep me alert or awake, give me a buzz, etc.--but if I didn't get my morning, early afternoon, and evening "fix", I would get one whammer of a headache until I got my fix. That headache was actually more intense than the migraines I used to get (they were somewhat mild for migraines; nausea was what made my migraines so much worse). It took five days of mind numbing pain for me to "detox".
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:45 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:49 am ...I had never been poked by a large gauge needle before, and let me tell you I can live without a repeat of the experience!...
You should have seen the gauge of the needles I used to give my ex her estrogen shots. I enjoyed giving her those shots; it was the only way I could get away with needling her. :lol:

All seriousness :?: aside, I don't like needles but I don't mind them. However, not everyone is like that and there's nothing wrong with that; different strokes for different folks.
MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:49 am ...I need more caffeine!
Hi, I'm Jeannie and I'm a caffeine addict.

OK, technically, I'm not since caffeine is one of the few addictive substances one can actually permanently kick (nasal decongestant spray is another one; I kicked that stuff about 50 years ago). I had to swear off caffeine for good a couple of decades ago because I was addicted to it back then. Caffeine (Diet Coke was my delivery of choice) did nothing for me--it didn't keep me alert or awake, give me a buzz, etc.--but if I didn't get my morning, early afternoon, and evening "fix", I would get one whammer of a headache until I got my fix. That headache was actually more intense than the migraines I used to get (they were somewhat mild for migraines; nausea was what made my migraines so much worse). It took five days of mind numbing pain for me to "detox".
At Toyota using their WiFi on the Lemur Pro, and drinking a LARGE latte. I could not get them to put it into an IV bottle for me for some reason.....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Youngest daughter: "DAAAAAAAAAD! My big laptop does not connect to the internet! Fix it!"
Me: I can't see the laptop, it is at your dorm?"
Youngest daughter: The ethernet is plugged in, but no internet, and no wifi...
Me: Did you put it in airplane mode?
Youngest: No, never.
Me: Well check it
Youngest daughter: *crickets*
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am getting old. I remember days of yore when kids were able to deal with life's problems without complete meltdowns. What went wrong? Where did we fail them by not making them tougher? When I turned 18 my dad told me that my @** was out the door as soon as I graduated from High School and he was no longer going to support me, or let me live at the house any longer. So I reached down, nutted up, and went to College and then the Army. If I tried this with the kids, my wife would be highly annoyed. But daughters are different than sons (I guess). I just told one of the daughters who was melting down that "I don't GAS about her feelings, suck it up and handle it". Worst Dad/Husband of the year award. I told her that she is an adult, she needs to handle her little problems, and get on with life. My dad was at LOT harsher (and blunt, telling me on several occasions "You made the choice, live with it, not my problem). So I overcame the issues. Where have we failed our kids?

On another note, neither kids believes the stories I tell about their grandfather, they cannot believe he was ever harsh. My brothers told them the same thing, and they just could not believe it. "But Papa's so nice!" HA!

Return to “Open Chat”