Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by MurphCID »

Daddy tech support for me; I purchased the new Pixel 6 (not the pro) from Google. So far it has been a rather unsatisfactory experience. The fingerprint sensor is dead dog slow, and works about 50% of the time. Just unacceptable compared to the wonderful Pixel 3a experience which has the sensor on the back of the phone instead of the screen. Bluetooth is terrible in connecting to my Forerunner. The 3a was rock solid, worked great. The 6 disconnects at odd times, and if there is another bluetooth in the area it disconnects. Then you have to turn both the phone, and the vehicle off to get it to reconnect. Just unacceptable. But according to Google both issues are "features" NOT bugs. Battery life is meh. The phone is much larger than the Pixel 3a which was absolutely an excellent phone. Android 12 has placed menus and features two or three levels down compared to Android 11 which makes doing things take an extra step or two. Plus they removed the back icon, and it is all swipes all the time. They have made it much less intuitive compared to Android 11 on the Pixel 3a. I would have been really pissed off if I had spent vast sums of money on this phone, as it is, I will use it, but it is not as nice and enjoyable experience as the Pixel 3a.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:16 pm Daddy tech support for me; I purchased the new Pixel 6 (not the pro) from Google. So far it has been a rather unsatisfactory experience. The fingerprint sensor is dead dog slow, and works about 50% of the time. Just unacceptable compared to the wonderful Pixel 3a experience which has the sensor on the back of the phone instead of the screen. Bluetooth is terrible in connecting to my Forerunner. The 3a was rock solid, worked great. The 6 disconnects at odd times, and if there is another bluetooth in the area it disconnects. Then you have to turn both the phone, and the vehicle off to get it to reconnect. Just unacceptable. But according to Google both issues are "features" NOT bugs. Battery life is meh. The phone is much larger than the Pixel 3a which was absolutely an excellent phone. Android 12 has placed menus and features two or three levels down compared to Android 11 which makes doing things take an extra step or two. Plus they removed the back icon, and it is all swipes all the time. They have made it much less intuitive compared to Android 11 on the Pixel 3a. I would have been really pissed off if I had spent vast sums of money on this phone, as it is, I will use it, but it is not as nice and enjoyable experience as the Pixel 3a.
Sounds like maybe you got a defective device. I bought my wife a Pixel 6 on launch and she absolutely loves it. None of the issues you speak of with connectivity, fingerprint scanner or anything else.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:01 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:16 pm Daddy tech support for me; I purchased the new Pixel 6 (not the pro) from Google. So far it has been a rather unsatisfactory experience. The fingerprint sensor is dead dog slow, and works about 50% of the time. Just unacceptable compared to the wonderful Pixel 3a experience which has the sensor on the back of the phone instead of the screen. Bluetooth is terrible in connecting to my Forerunner. The 3a was rock solid, worked great. The 6 disconnects at odd times, and if there is another bluetooth in the area it disconnects. Then you have to turn both the phone, and the vehicle off to get it to reconnect. Just unacceptable. But according to Google both issues are "features" NOT bugs. Battery life is meh. The phone is much larger than the Pixel 3a which was absolutely an excellent phone. Android 12 has placed menus and features two or three levels down compared to Android 11 which makes doing things take an extra step or two. Plus they removed the back icon, and it is all swipes all the time. They have made it much less intuitive compared to Android 11 on the Pixel 3a. I would have been really pissed off if I had spent vast sums of money on this phone, as it is, I will use it, but it is not as nice and enjoyable experience as the Pixel 3a.
Sounds like maybe you got a defective device. I bought my wife a Pixel 6 on launch and she absolutely loves it. None of the issues you speak of with connectivity, fingerprint scanner or anything else.
Could be, I am going to contact Google.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAAAAAADDDDDYYYYYY! I have RUN out of SPACE on the little laptop! What DO I do?

Me: transfer files to the external SSD I gave you.

Her: But I NEED those files on the laptop!

Me: Why? If you have the backup, the files will be there.

Her: [mumble something]

Me: What?

Her [mumble some more]

Me: What was that?

Her: OK YOU ARE RIGHT! [mumble, mumble]
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:58 am Her: OK YOU ARE RIGHT! [mumble, mumble]
Dad is Always Right
:)
just ask your mum.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just spent the last 2 1/2 hours setting up my youngest daughters boyfriend‘s new laptop. Bought an HP pavilion for the fire Academy, and as usual of the 2 1/2 hours an hour and a half minimum was used setting up windows and all the cursed updates. I then ran Ninite to load Chrome, VLC, iTunes, seven zip, libre office, zoom, and Skype. Then I found an older version of Microsoft office 2007 which I gave him and we installed it on the laptop. He only has 8 GB of RAM which I recommended he upgrade to 16 minimum since his laptop will take a ram upgrade. I also recommended he either get a larger NVME drive or an external drive. He told me he could not believe how many restarts it had to make, also he could not believe how much privacy stuff we had to turn off. I managed to keep all the software installation under 61 gb of storage space.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, I want to thank everyone who has suffered through this thread with me, it has been an adventure. So thanks.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:09 pm I managed to keep all the software installation under 61 gb of storage space.
WHAT !!!! You can imagine why the first thing I did recently to a laptop with 30GB of storage was to wipe Windows and fit Linux Mint and then have half the storage still available for files.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:09 pm I managed to keep all the software installation under 61 gb of storage space.
WHAT !!!! You can imagine why the first thing I did recently to a laptop with 30GB of storage was to wipe Windows and fit Linux Mint and then have much more than half the storage still available for files.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

the Value of that was so important RollyShed, that you posted it twice,
and I have to agree with you.... :wink:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 pm
WHAT !!!! You can imagine why the first thing I did recently to a laptop with 30GB of storage was to wipe Windows and fit Linux Mint and then have half the storage still available for files.
I was going for minimal, and for Windows, THAT WAS MINIMAL! I was excited to see that small an installation, since he only has 256gb of drive space.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have been manually installing LibreOffice on my machines from their website, and I have noticed a consistent issue. It comes up for the download, and it insists that Linux Mint is a .rpm package NOT a .deb. I have to manually change it each time to make sure that I get the .deb package. This is both annoying, and unacceptable.

On a side note, I look at my being able to download Libreoffice from their website, and install it as a milestone in my Linux knowledge. I consider this, for me anyway, to be a good point for me.

Other issue, my work laptop would not take Windows updates no matter what I tried, so I took it to MIS, and they told me that an update had corrupted the update system, and so they had to re-install Windows and now it works. I have never had that issue at all, so it seems odd, but not out of the realm of possibility for Microsoft.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:52 amOther issue, my work laptop would not take Windows updates no matter what I tried, so I took it to MIS, and they told me that an update had corrupted the update system, and so they had to re-install Windows and now it works. I have never had that issue at all, so it seems odd, but not out of the realm of possibility for Microsoft.
"Seems odd", what do you mean seems odd, of course MS corrupt things, delete things and wipe out entire systems. A bit of searching on the web will show "files deleted, 2018, 2020 2021 etc." Here a complete system and all files and folds wiped. Once they have deleted and wiped out Win10 it might become Win7 but if it works it will say it is an illegal system. We've never ever had that problem with Linux Mint.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:52 am I have been manually installing LibreOffice on my machines from their website, and I have noticed a consistent issue. It comes up for the download, and it insists that Linux Mint is a .rpm package NOT a .deb.
Other than the fun of doing it the hard way any other reason for skipping the Mint repositories?
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:52 am I have been manually installing LibreOffice on my machines from their website, and I have noticed a consistent issue. It comes up for the download, and it insists that Linux Mint is a .rpm package NOT a .deb.
Other than the fun of doing it the hard way any other reason for skipping the Mint repositories?
The latest version. I am a version whore when it comes to Libre Office, I want the latest fixes and patches.
Last edited by MurphCID on Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:52 amOther issue, my work laptop would not take Windows updates no matter what I tried, so I took it to MIS, and they told me that an update had corrupted the update system, and so they had to re-install Windows and now it works. I have never had that issue at all, so it seems odd, but not out of the realm of possibility for Microsoft.
"Seems odd", what do you mean seems odd, of course MS corrupt things, delete things and wipe out entire systems. A bit of searching on the web will show "files deleted, 2018, 2020 2021 etc." Here a complete system and all files and folds wiped. Once they have deleted and wiped out Win10 it might become Win7 but if it works it will say it is an illegal system. We've never ever had that problem with Linux Mint.
Our MIS department does some really less than intelligent things at times, so I cannot 100% claim it was Microsoft's fault.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

on the Windows machine, do you want to try the latest update?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO

that will let you download the ISO and apply the update direct w/o going thru the Update process via the internet.

it is just under 6gB and is the one listed at the bottom of this image

win10.png

I just downloaded that update earlier in the wee hours today.....
will try it out on my VM install first.

Read this info newsletter: https://www.askwoody.com/newsletter/ms- ... atch-ever/
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Having a Daddy/Daughter day with the youngest at Black Rifle Coffee. She has her small laptop, and I have the Lemur Pro. Her comment to me: "Daddy Linux is for old people!" *sigh*. We had a pretty good day, after BRCC, we went and got bagels from Einstein Bagels, and then ate at our favorite Indian place. The owner loves it when the kids come with me, and he makes sure that they have LOTS of fresh, hot naan bread. Then we went to the liquor store so I could get some gifts for my office Christmas party, and I gave her the money and let her pay for it, she was excited since she is now 21 (small things I know).
Last edited by MurphCID on Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just spent a frustrating hour updating my daughters laptop(s) Microsoft turned back on things I had turned off in Privacy, and it annoys me that I have to go in after every update and squash privacy issues. It takes longer at times to find the settings that the sneaky Q@#($U(!!!! have turned back on, and then turn them off again. But again, as she tells me that Linux is for old people......
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:49 am ...Her comment to me: "Daddy Linux is for old people!"...
Tell her I represent that remark!
MurphCID wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:49 am ...Then we went to the liquor store so I could get some gifts for my office Christmas party, and I gave her the money and let her pay for it, she was excited since she is now 21 (small things I know).
For us flatulent geriatrics, it's a small thing but for someone her age, 'tis huge.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”