Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by AZgl1800 »

My motto is: If it ain't broke, don't be fixing it until it is.

I just cleaned up my Win7 Gateway that I purchased in Mesa, Arizona back around 2006.

It is still happily spinning away, with the OEM firmware... I am not ever, going to update the BIOS, it works just fine, the way it is.

won't be updating Win7 to WinX either....

I might, put LM on it some year, but the Win Apps I have on it now, do not have any Linux equivalents, period.

One of them is a PDF sheet scanner from about 2004, it works very well, just like it is.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:21 pm My motto is: If it ain't broke, don't be fixing it until it is.

I just cleaned up my Win7 Gateway that I purchased in Mesa, Arizona back around 2006.

It is still happily spinning away, with the OEM firmware... I am not ever, going to update the BIOS, it works just fine, the way it is.

I might, put LM on it some year, but the Win Apps I have on it now, do not have any Linux equivalents, period.

One of them is a PDF sheet scanner from about 2004, it works very well, just like it is.
I am going to take your wise advice. No firmware update. The Windows 10 Pro thing, I think is necessary to keep Microsoft from fouling up the Spouse Unit's computer if it decides to push Windows 11 without my consent (or she downloads it by accident....).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:29 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:21 pm My motto is: If it ain't broke, don't be fixing it until it is.

I am going to take your wise advice. No firmware update. The Windows 10 Pro thing, I think is necessary to keep Microsoft from fouling up the Spouse Unit's computer if it decides to push Windows 11 without my consent (or she downloads it by accident....).
in your situation, the Win10 lockdown is a good thing,
the best thing I have ever done so far, on my daughter's Win10 PC, is to install WinAeroTweaker

What a fantastic piece of software extension that is.....
in one fell swoop, well, with a LOT of Clicks, you can block all future Win Updates,
you can create the Exact Desktop Environment that she enjoys, and make it stay that way.

and they give it away for free? :|
love Opensource.

https://winaerotweaker.com/
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:48 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:29 pm

in your situation, the Win10 lockdown is a good thing,
the best thing I have ever done so far, on my daughter's Win10 PC, is to install WinAeroTweaker

What a fantastic piece of software extension that is.....
in one fell swoop, well, with a LOT of Clicks, you can block all future Win Updates,
you can create the Exact Desktop Environment that she enjoys, and make it stay that way.

and they give it away for free? :|
love Opensource.

https://winaerotweaker.com/
This is just nuts. I went into Windows 10, did all the steps to change the product key from Home to Pro, loaded the key, and then I get an error message that "Sorry we cannot update or accept this key". Thought, "ok, maybe I have made a mistake on the key (I didn't even with my intermittent dyslexia), but NO, I did everything right. Her system did a couple of restarts, loaded some updates, again could not update to Windows 10 Pro. Odd. Then I checked software build after lots of cussing Microsoft, and you know what it shows Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro!!!!!! confused??? I HATE MICROSOFT!!!! Re-ran O&O Shutup 10, and had to re-turn off bloody telemetry. I HATE MICROSOFT!!!!!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:37 am ...I HATE MICROSOFT!!!!!
Awww, come on. Tell us how you really feel. :wink:

All seriousness :?: aside, I probably have an even more intense hatred of Microsoft than even you.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:52 am

All seriousness :?: aside, I probably have an even more intense hatred of Microsoft than even you.
BTW did I tell you I HATE MICROSOFT!!!
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

Windows doesn't like upgrade keys. It wants you to load a specific install based upon the key used.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:09 am

Really? I hadn't noticed. BTW, you misspelled Microsoft.

:wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I enjoyed the last few posts of Lady F and Murph CID :)
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:24 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:09 am

Really? I hadn't noticed. BTW, you misspelled Microsoft.

:wink:

Sorry, I should have said I HATE Microsoft!!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:23 am Windows doesn't like upgrade keys. It wants you to load a specific install based upon the key used.
No kidding! I did it so that it is less likely that Windows 11 will )I()*!&$&!!! things up on her system in case it gets either accidentally or forcibly installed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have a name for MicroManure, but they won't let me print it here. :mrgreen:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:49 pm I have a name for MicroManure, but they won't let me print it here. :mrgreen:
I know which word you mean but Mama "told" me not to use that word
Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

No, you are wrong, I have more hatred for MS than you.. Maybe we need a type of Mercalli scale which grades the effects of earthquakes into ten steps or possibly the Richter magnitude scale.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Using my System 76 Darter Pro with mint since I am playing Civ VI on the desktop and watching the WAN show. So I am using this computer to surf the net. Mint just works (for the most part), and does not spy on me.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I checked and after installing an update, Windwoes RE-ENABLED telemetry that had been turned off by O&O Shutup10!!! So I see that I am in a never ending Cold War with Microsoft. Same for Windows 11 on the one laptop that has it installed. Same issue as above. I would like to rip out the telemetry garbage by the roots if it would not bork the whole system. Youngest is due home on Thanksgiving day, so it appears that I will be spending time updating and working on her laptops.

Her: "Hey Dad, just want you to know I really like this little laptop, it does not weigh me down like my big one."
Me: Well why did you not let me get you the smaller one when I offered?
Her: "Dad! I love the big laptop, but the small laptop is easier to take to classes, and the coffeeshops!" (Translation: Don't you understand basic college kid backpacking?)
Me: Ok, glad you like it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 am I checked and after installing an update, Windwoes RE-ENABLED telemetry that had been turned off by O&O Shutup10!!! So I see that I am in a never ending Cold War with Microsoft.
I used the WinAeroTweaker,

Tnx to your Notice on this, I will be rechecking Telemetry on our Win PCs here also.

Like you, my daughter is Windows only ( only because ACCESS won't work in Linux )
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:21 pmMy motto is: If it ain't broke, don't be fixing it until it is.
If something isn't broken. I am totally fixing it until it's broken. And then I am fixing it again! :wink:
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:38 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 am
I used the WinAeroTweaker,

Like you, my daughter is Windows only ( only because ACCESS won't work in Linux )
As for access equivalent, please see https://www.google.com/amp/s/ubunlog.co ... buntu/amp/
Also the comments in the article
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:24 pm As for access equivalent, please see https://www.google.com/amp/s/ubunlog.co ... buntu/amp/
Also the comments in the article
That link is a mess of practically unreadable text.

Return to “Open Chat”