Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 am ...I am getting sued by a crazy person who claims that she was tortured in our jail, and that I made "threats" (because the evidence did not show her accusations to be even vaguely, remotely credible), even though we never met, and I just went with the Ranger and have never spoken with this person. Oh, well off to the lawyer today.....
Oh man, that sucks! Here's hoping that everything works out OK and your employer picks up the tab.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:49 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 am ...I am getting sued by a crazy person who claims that she was tortured in our jail, and that I made "threats" (because the evidence did not show her accusations to be even vaguely, remotely credible), even though we never met, and I just went with the Ranger and have never spoken with this person. Oh, well off to the lawyer today.....
Oh man, that sucks! Here's hoping that everything works out OK and your employer picks up the tab.
This will be the second time, the first time I was sued by a guy who made his living suing people, he lost. But apparently he made a great living in California, he had his own plane... This lady wrote a 14 page complaint, and after days of investigation we could confirm none of her allegations. She was also mad that she could not get her drug of choice while incarcerated.....claiming that it amounted to torture.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:54 am [ I was sued by a guy who made his living suing people, he lost. But apparently he made a great living in California, he had his own plane...
such abuse of the legal system should be punishable :twisted:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

ivar wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:35 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:54 am [ I was sued by a guy who made his living suing people, he lost. But apparently he made a great living in California, he had his own plane...
such abuse of the legal system should be punishable :twisted:
I totally agree.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

We discovered that the "law office" does not exist, neither does the lawyer (there is one with the right name, but he is dead...), she is threatening FBI, Department of Justice, ACLU, and Attorney General (of Texas). So I am less worried that I was going to go broke paying for lawyers (the County is supposed to take care of this, but....). I have been in Federal Court on a false, frivolous, made up fake lawsuit before where I was sued for doing my job correctly, and ethically, but it went against this guy who made his living suing people so I got sued for 1.5 million dollars. It took a while, but the case was dismissed with prejudice. He appealed, and lost. In this day and age, cops who are merely doing the right thing get sued all the time. Frivolous and false lawsuits are a fact of life, since most places will settle and give money just to make the person go away rather than fight it, so it makes sense for attorneys to file these frivolous suits since they get money regardless. I spend extra money each month (a lot) to pay for a legal protection plan just for this sort of thing.

That time when I got sued, the guy from California demanded not only my work computer and phone, but my personal phone, my personal computers, and my bank account information since he was claiming that I did work at home (I do not), and that I got paid off by the other side (No WAY!), and also any email, text message, etc that I had sent on ANY device for the previous two years! He got shut down on that. I also caught him doing insurance fraud with his plane (he intentionally ran a forklift into it), so that he could get a pay out and get a "better" plane. We had witnesses and photographs. It did not get prosecuted, since he also sued the prosecutors. It was horrible.

On the other hand, those loud screams everyone is hearing, are coming from people at work who have discovered that I AM going to retire. I had a 15 minute conversation with a prosecutor yesterday demanding that I NOT retire, most people are telling me NOT to go, because they cannot replace me. BS Everyone is replaceable, but I am done, done, done. The Spouse-Unit retires in three weeks, and I am ready to go myself. I am only staying to give her the six months she requested.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The Spouse Unit has the flu, so she has been stuck at home. But last night she grudgingly admitted that she likes her new laptop. AMAZING!!! Then she asked me that a notification showed up about Windows 11, and should she update. I asked her where she saw this, and she said she could not recall, it was somewhere on her computer. I told her NO!!! Under no circumstances should she update at all. Microsoft seems determined to get Windows 11 on my home systems. Every time I go to Windows update it tells me I CAN run Windows 11. No, I do not want to run Windows 11.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

considering how Microsoft snuck the windows 10 upgrade onto ppls Windows 7 computers, even when actively refusing the upgrade, it might be a good idea to block it :
I assume she got the Win 10 Home edition, it'll require some registry settings added ..:

https://www.pdq.com/blog/how-to-block-t ... 1-upgrade/
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ivar wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:48 pm considering how Microsoft snuck the windows 10 upgrade onto ppls Windows 7 computers, even when actively refusing the upgrade, it might be a good idea to block it :
I assume she got the Win 10 Home edition, it'll require some registry settings added ..:

https://www.pdq.com/blog/how-to-block-t ... 1-upgrade/
I upgraded her to windows 10 pro, and it was somewhat painful, Microsoft does not like upgrading from home to pro.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Aaaaaannnnnddddd Now home with the flu. Not Covid (I got tested), but the regular, ordinary miserable flu. Ugh.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

not the "man flu", I hope? :D
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:14 am Aaaaaannnnnddddd Now home with the flu. Not Covid (I got tested), but the regular, ordinary miserable flu. Ugh.
Been there done that this flu season already - about a month ago got all the Omicron symptoms so did the self testing bit which were negative but after four or five days did not seem to be getting better and went to the doc. Got tested again and was still negative - pretty much just rode it out although the doc did give some antibiotic and a cough suppression pills.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I got a "Daddy tech support" story that has to take the cake. Although not my kids or wife - I got a call last night right about dinner time from my sister. She is one of the first people I installed LM for (LM cinnamon 17.3). A little back ground; she is college history professor and not interested in computers however she figured out how to use GnuCash as a replacement for Quicken and installed LM 19.0 on her own. So this little incident kind of surprised me. Back to the story; she called and said she just bought an HP printer on my recommendation but her computer does not see it. Did I think because she hadn't figured out how to install the cartridges that that could be the problem - I told her no. She, looking at printer settings, wondered that maybe if she deleted the old printer (also an HP) if that would fix things. I told to go ahead but that was not the problem. I got her to give me the model number just to make sure it was supported but that really did not seem probable . . . a quick look up on the HP web site and of course it was supported. Then a quick check to ensure hplip was installed - yes it was - the old printer was HP so . . . . I then asked her to make sure it was connected correctly and plugged in properly and then then to reboot it i.e. power off then power back on.

OH . . . . turns out it was not powered on - when it was - guess what? . . . . . She was a bit embarrassed but we got a good laugh out of it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:14 am Aaaaaannnnnddddd Now home with the flu. Not Covid (I got tested), but the regular, ordinary miserable flu. Ugh.
I'm so sorry you are sick. It seems like you can't catch a break. At least it's not Covid. Take care of yourself and get well soon!
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:36 pm
I'm so sorry you are sick. It seems like you can't catch a break. At least it's not Covid. Take care of yourself and get well soon!
It has started out to be a rough year so far. I just hope it gets better.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:59 pm I got a "Daddy tech support" story that has to take the cake. Although not my kids or wife - I got a call last night right about dinner time from my sister. She is one of the first people I installed LM for (LM cinnamon 17.3). A little back ground; she is college history professor and not interested in computers however she figured out how to use GnuCash as a replacement for Quicken and installed LM 19.0 on her own. So this little incident kind of surprised me. Back to the story; she called and said she just bought an HP printer on my recommendation but her computer does not see it. Did I think because she hadn't figured out how to install the cartridges that that could be the problem - I told her no. She, looking at printer settings, wondered that maybe if she deleted the old printer (also an HP) if that would fix things. I told to go ahead but that was not the problem. I got her to give me the model number just to make sure it was supported but that really did not seem probable . . . a quick look up on the HP web site and of course it was supported. Then a quick check to ensure hplip was installed - yes it was - the old printer was HP so . . . . I then asked her to make sure it was connected correctly and plugged in properly and then then to reboot it i.e. power off then power back on.

OH . . . . turns out it was not powered on - when it was - guess what? . . . . . She was a bit embarrassed but we got a good laugh out of it.
Now THAT is funny, great Tech support story!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Back in late October, my daughter and I came down with flu like symptoms, that lasted for 3 weeks, and then another 3 or 4 weeks of "no energy to do anything"

since then, we have been just fine, and no, no jabs either
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:59 am I had a 15 minute conversation with a prosecutor yesterday demanding that I NOT retire, most people are telling me NOT to go, because they cannot replace me. BS Everyone is replaceable, but I am done, done, done.
These "irreplaceable" arguments always make me smile. Somehow a promotion that creates a vacancy gets a different response. Truth more likely that the person retiring was taking some of the load off of superiors who will now need to do it themselves.

For the individual who thinks he or she can't be replaced having them pull their arm out of a bucket of water. Irreplaceable only if a hole exists where the arm once was.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I agree that it is most likely related to this statement since I do a lot for other agencies to assist them:
These "irreplaceable" arguments always make me smile. Somehow a promotion that creates a vacancy gets a different response. Truth more likely that the person retiring was taking some of the load off of superiors who will now need to do it themselves.
On the flu, I feel better today, but I have been pounding down fluids, vitamins and caffeine.

Youngest called me last night, scared, she said that her sorority was locked down, and they were sheltering upstairs since there was an alleged active shooter on campus. I did want most dads would do, I told her to stay put, and I called the local police to get the "real deal". Found out that they had an incident near the campus but the bad guy was in custody. So I called her back and told her it was ok. She was so happy. I am annoyed that they were getting the information from social media, NOT from a group text by the University. Apparently the University Police were running around like chickens with their heads cut off screaming at students to get to their dorms and lock down. No information, no updates, no context. Grrrrr.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Isn't it crazy that the Local PD and the so-called University Police don't have a Crisis Communications Protocol. So every time there is a rape or a bomb scare on campus - the Police Department and the Uni Police have a functional system in place to disseminate (it's too early in the morning for these big words. . ) information accurately.

We see just the same degree of stupidity here in Oz.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rossdv8 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 pm Isn't it crazy that the Local PD and the so-called University Police don't have a Crisis Communications Protocol. So every time there is a rape or a bomb scare on campus - the Police Department and the Uni Police have a functional system in place to disseminate (it's too early in the morning for these big words. . ) information accurately.

We see just the same degree of stupidity here in Oz.
Stupidity is spreading faster than Omicron.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”