Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 am Noticed that this new modem/router takes much, much longer for the TV downstairs to connect since it is a combined 5ghz/2.4ghz and tries the 5 ghz channel first, then switches to the slower one later. Our old LG tv (which the spouse unit won at a raffle), takes almost twice as long to connect to wifi now. But the wifi seems faster on Wifi 6 devices.
Do you have the option to turn off the 5Ghz band? I can do that with my current router.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:53 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 am Noticed that this new modem/router takes much, much longer for the TV downstairs to connect since it is a combined 5ghz/2.4ghz and tries the 5 ghz channel first, then switches to the slower one later. Our old LG tv (which the spouse unit won at a raffle), takes almost twice as long to connect to wifi now. But the wifi seems faster on Wifi 6 devices.
Do you have the option to turn off the 5Ghz band? I can do that with my current router.
Should be an option to turn off Band Steering.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I'll check later when I get home.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It is starting to stabilize, but still some issues. Cable company tech support does not know how to modify/fix the issue. I was told it could be my TV (which is a bit old), and I cannot completely rule that out.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 am It is starting to stabilize, but still some issues. Cable company tech support does not know how to modify/fix the issue. I was told it could be my TV (which is a bit old), and I cannot completely rule that out.
Standard ISP procedure, it's not us , it's you...... Do have the ability to log into the ISP modem/router?
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:38 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 am It is starting to stabilize, but still some issues. Cable company tech support does not know how to modify/fix the issue. I was told it could be my TV (which is a bit old), and I cannot completely rule that out.
Standard ISP procedure, it's not us , it's you...... Do have the ability to log into the ISP modem/router?
No, they have blocked that, but they have an app......
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:47 am
Another reason to own your own equipment.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:49 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:47 am

Another reason to own your own equipment.
Yeah. Internet is up and down, it was out most of yesterday for some reason, I was getting calls at work from the kids that the "INTERNET IS DOWN!!!" Plus instead of getting 200mb up speeds this morning, I was getting 300-400 kb.second uploads for the Mint 20.3 download. The TV downstairs takes 2-10 minutes now to connect to the internet, with most of the time it is on the long end. Something is misconfigured on their end, so a tech is coming back out at 1300-1400 today to check and fix. My daughters iPhone 13 could not connect for a chunk of the day, and even now it is problematic.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I was going to suggest that the IP world is in trouble, when I first logged on an hour ago, things were way slow.
but once it got going again, all is okay now.

last week, or the week before?
Amazon's AWS servers were having a lot of trouble, took out 75% of the Internet for me, only 2 or 3 websites were available for the longest part of the day....

Farcebook being one that was 'online', like that is the most important thing in people's lives???
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:38 am Standard ISP procedure, it's not us , it's you...... Do have the ability to log into the ISP modem/router?
My ISP allows me to log into my router - but only if the internet connection is up. Genius :roll:

As for AWS. looks like they've had lots of trouble with outages lately.
https://downdetector.com is nice to see if others also have trouble
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

ivar wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:38 am
DisturbedDragon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:38 am Standard ISP procedure, it's not us , it's you...... Do have the ability to log into the ISP modem/router?
My ISP allows me to log into my router - but only if the internet connection is up. Genius :roll:

As for AWS. looks like they've had lots of trouble with outages lately.
https://downdetector.com is nice to see if others also have trouble
yup,
probably why it is so hard for me to get out of Cow Pasture land.

AWS.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well whatever they did with the internet outage on Thursday, they fixed whatever it was. The tech came back on Friday and installed a new modem, so with the new router, I have a completely new setup running 802.11ax. The speed on the laptop down stairs according to Speedtest is 233 mbps up and 25 mbps down. I am paying for 200. The tech said his equipment shows 1.12 gbs at the box outside the house. So whatever was done, has fixed the issue. Internet is running stable, and the kids and spouse are happy. That is all that matters.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well the youngest is going back to University. Thanks to the master packers (Spouse Unit and Sister in law) we managed to get everything she needs in her Corolla! So I do not have to drive six hours to the University to carry her stuff. I still think she has too much stuff, but I am ignored "because she is a girl, and needs stuff". I made it through college with six sets of blue jeans, and a dozen T-shirts. Add two sweatshirts for cold weather, and three pair of sneakers. Thats it. Oh, and a typewriter.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:10 pm Well the youngest is going back to University. Thanks to the master packers (Spouse Unit and Sister in law) we managed to get everything she needs in her Corolla! So I do not have to drive six hours to the University to carry her stuff. I still think she has too much stuff, but I am ignored "because she is a girl, and needs stuff". I made it through college with six sets of blue jeans, and a dozen T-shirts. Add two sweatshirts for cold weather, and three pair of sneakers. Thats it. Oh, and a typewriter.
Girls need more stuff ,you were not and aren't a girl. :)
In contrast she would need a lot of girlie stuff.
Recently I stayed in my village for a month which had no electricity for some reason. I carried one pant and 3 T shirts.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:32 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:10 pm Well the youngest is going back to University. Thanks to the master packers (Spouse Unit and Sister in law) we managed to get everything she needs in her Corolla! So I do not have to drive six hours to the University to carry her stuff. I still think she has too much stuff, but I am ignored "because she is a girl, and needs stuff". I made it through college with six sets of blue jeans, and a dozen T-shirts. Add two sweatshirts for cold weather, and three pair of sneakers. Thats it. Oh, and a typewriter.
Girls need more stuff ,you were not and aren't a girl. :)
In contrast she would need a lot of girlie stuff.
Recently I stayed in my village for a month which had no electricity for some reason. I carried one pant and 3 T shirts.
I completely understand.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

You are a guy. Of course you don't understand a woman's need for "stuff". :wink:
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have one dress up "suit" in my closet, bought it 5 years ago to attend my first high school reunion....
I thought it being a 50th year occasion, folks would be dressed up....

I was pissed that I wasted my money, over $400 bux for that damn set up....
yup, sawed off blue jeans, a few faded blue jeans, a few worn out T-shirts,

and one or two business men wearing their 'every day nice duds'

the ladies ranged from "the haggard poor gal threads" to a few of the gals who apparantly live in "high society"

last October, I attended our 55th year reunion, and I wore my "newest pair" of blue jeans, and a couple of nice t-shirts....

My closet has about 20 T-shirts, I hate to do laundry, so I have enough shirts and socks to last a month, then I use the washing machine.

I wear flip flops, not shoes, and I did so the reunion this last time, not one comment on them.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 am I was told it could be my TV (which is a bit old), and I cannot completely rule that out.
Could be,
e.g due to poor support for newer wifi/security standards, so negotiations takes longer before connection is established
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ivar wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:05 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 am I was told it could be my TV (which is a bit old), and I cannot completely rule that out.
Could be,
e.g due to poor support for newer wifi/security standards, so negotiations takes longer before connection is established
I suspect you are correct. Well the youngest is back at University, she made it, and the tires did not explode on her car which was packed to the brim with...stuff. Now she is complaining that there is no ethernet at the Sorority House, just Wifi. Her room is pretty decently sized, and she does not have a room-mate this semester. Classes start Wednesday for some reason. So she has two days to get her room organized. Now I get to do Daddy tech support on WiFi issues at the Sorority House...NOT!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:47 pm
You are a guy. Of course you don't understand a woman's need for "stuff". :wink:
No, and I never will. Retirement incoming! Looks to be early June (I hope) but it depends on the pay cycle. Oh, and I am getting sued by a crazy person who claims that she was tortured in our jail, and that I made "threats" (because the evidence did not show her accusations to be even vaguely, remotely credible), even though we never met, and I just went with the Ranger and have never spoken with this person. Oh, well off to the lawyer today.....

Return to “Open Chat”