Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

deepakdeshp wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:51 pm Windows updates suck...
I totally agree. They should be called Hoovers.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

DVD fab now runs on Linux.
https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab-en ... leased-out

As for iTunes, everything I want is on YouTube and downloadable. MMC converts mp4 to mp3.

As for Windows, we did have a Windows computer at the Shed to run the colour printer but it killed itself. Windows is on the HD but no way will it boot up. The computer itself is quite OK and boots about x10 faster with Linux. I'll have to do a bit more poking to get Linux Mint to run that printer.
mrgordos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrgordos »

Actually DVD Fab Linux version was discontinued shortly after they released it due to "gloomy market response" back in 2017 https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab-en ... scontinued
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The NUC is up! Got it installed last night, the Logitech blu-tooth keyboard works great (K380 in pink), as does the mouse. No issues with connection to TV, internet runs fast, and got her logged into Google and iTunes with no issues. Ninite worked great in getting software, My daughter and I had her up and running with all updates done in less than 30 minutes. My daughter told me that the computer was...cute.

The Spouse-Unit noticed the keyboard and fussed about "more electronics". She never noticed the laptop was gone, and the NUC was in its place.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

mrgordos wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:22 pm Actually DVD Fab Linux version was discontinued shortly after they released it due to "gloomy market response" back in 2017 https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab-en ... scontinued
I was really furious with them for doing that, especially after shelling out for a lifetime license before getting a chance to use it on Linux.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:20 am
mrgordos wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:22 pm Actually DVD Fab Linux version was discontinued shortly after they released it due to "gloomy market response" back in 2017 https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab-en ... scontinued
I was really furious with them for doing that, especially after shelling out for a lifetime license before getting a chance to use it on Linux.
Sadly that is the way so many companies go. I loathe the Adobe "subscription" service which is just a way to suck money out of people. GIMP is emblematic of too much of LInux software: obscure, difficult to use, and not friendly. I know it can build great images twelve different ways, but it is a PITA to try and use. Example in Photoshop, there is a save for web feature, one click which opens a menu that allows me to save images in smaller formats with at most six clicks on boxes and boom you are done. After a great deal of searching on GIMP no luck/no joy. It is things like this that keep me on Windows for Photoshop and iTunes (I have a very large media library).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

YAY!!! She loved the NUC, especially since I set up everything so she has all her tabs on chrome, youtube, etc. She did not fuss at anything except the pink keyboard because she said that the letters are hard to read. With her this is a 100% win. *sigh of relief*. I should have done this a long time ago. She loves how it takes up so little room.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

This NUC was such a hit, that I am considering getting one for the bedroom TV and putting Mint on it so that I can use it for entertainment in case one of us is stuck in bed for some reason. The Spouse Unit told me that she can hear the TV better, and she loves that it "just works right" like a computer should. Thank the Maker that it has made her happy.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My daughter is up in the Austin area with her cousin for a couple of weeks house-sitting. I get a phone call:

Daughter: "DADDY! HELP THE LITTLE LAPTOP IS NOT CHARGING!!!"

Me: Ok what are you doing?

Daughter: I plugged it in, and now there is no charge!

Me: Check your cables.

Daughter: "DADDY! I did that!"

Me: Ok, plug it into a different socket in the wall.

Daughter: "DADDY! It's not working!!!!" "OMG, ITS BROKEN! I DID NOT DROP IT OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!"

Me: Did you plug it into a completely different socket?

Daughter: "no...."

Me: Go to a different part of the house and plug it in.

Daughter: "It is working, I guess the socket is dead?"

Me: Anything else?

Daughter: No daddy, you are the best."
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 am My daughter is up in the Austin area with her cousin for a couple of weeks house-sitting. I get a phone call:

Daughter: "DADDY! HELP THE LITTLE LAPTOP IS NOT CHARGING!!!"

Me: Ok what are you doing?

Daughter: I plugged it in, and now there is no charge!

Me: Check your cables.

Daughter: "DADDY! I did that!"

Me: Ok, plug it into a different socket in the wall.

Daughter: "DADDY! It's not working!!!!" "OMG, ITS BROKEN! I DID NOT DROP IT OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!"

Me: Did you plug it into a completely different socket?

Daughter: "no...."

Me: Go to a different part of the house and plug it in.

Daughter: "It is working, I guess the socket is dead?"

Me: Anything else?

Daughter: No daddy, you are the best."
and the very wall socket she plugged it into, has a Wall Switch so it can turn off a Lamp. :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:40 am
and the very wall socket she plugged it into, has a Wall Switch so it can turn off a Lamp. :lol:
Beat me to it!
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:40 am and the very wall socket she plugged it into, has a Wall Switch so it can turn off a Lamp. :lol:
That's the problem when kids get shunted into the 20th century. They certainly won't survive in the 21st century..... :oops:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:02 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:40 am and the very wall socket she plugged it into, has a Wall Switch so it can turn off a Lamp. :lol:
That's the problem when kids get shunted into the 20th century. They certainly won't survive in the 21st century..... :oops:
Kids nowadays can't read analog clocks and have no clue how to use a rotary dial telephone. Writing in cursive, other than for signatures, has become a lost art.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:03 pm
Kids nowadays can't read analog clocks and have no clue how to use a rotary dial telephone. Writing in cursive, other than for signatures, has become a lost art.
they can write their Signature?

looks like gibberish to me, no part of it is intelligible

When in Middle School, when I was waiting one 'what ever' to happen, I would practice writing my own Signature over, and over, and over, until I developed a Style that I liked.

then, I switched hands, and kept at it until I could write with either hand, left or right, in Cursive.

Signature 220 Example.jpg
Signature 220 Example.jpg (11.92 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:57 pm When in Middle School, when I was waiting one 'what ever' to happen, I would practice writing my own Signature over, and over, and over, until I developed a Style that I liked.

Then, I switched hands, and kept at it until I could write with either hand, left or right, in Cursive.
In Primary school, age 12, we had hand writing, about 1/4 hour of it each day. My hand writing wasn't good and I was left handed. So to get round it, so I wouldn't be criticised by the teacher and made to do it again, I suggested during that time, I should learn to write right handed. Obviously it wouldn't look good but I'd have a good excuse for it. He "bought" the suggestion and I had no further problems during the writing lesson for poor hand writing.

Two years later a chess club was started and now 14 years old, about the third night my old headmaster was my opponent. As a kid in those days one had, or had to, respect ones elders. I think it was a draw.
Last edited by RollyShed on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

They have finally brought cursive back in Texas. It is about time. The neither daughter learned it because the school thought it was too old fashioned.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

That is so true. My youngest was shown Grandpa's old rotary dial phone and she asked in all seriousness how people sent texts on it.....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:08 am
That is so true. My youngest was shown Grandpa's old rotary dial phone and she asked in all seriousness how people sent texts on it.....
Your daughter would hate my cordless phones I have at home. I don't text, even on my "old fashioned", El Cheapo flip phone; for me, texting is just too slow and clumsy plus I would need to learn a "foreign" language. If someone wants to talk with me, they can TALK to me when I deign to answer the phone.
Jeannie

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

If you think thats bad, try going to the supermarket when their computer registers go down and you have to help the 20 something year old cashier learn how to count change back to the customer the old fashioned way without a calculator or computer to think for them...lol...The dumbing down of human society, and its not getting any better...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:24 pm
If you think thats bad, try going to the supermarket when their computer registers go down and you have to help the 20 something year old cashier learn how to count change back to the customer the old fashioned way without a calculator or computer to think for them...lol...The dumbing down of human society, and its not getting any better...lol...DAMIEN
It's worse than that. Stores don't put prices on products anymore (that actually makes sense; putting a price label on each product is seriously labor intensive and changing prices is equally bad). You need a scanner to read the products barcode, then have access to the store's database to determine the price. No computers? You're shut down. Now, if stores would run local data bases on a LAN with parallel systems, updated on the WAN periodically, they could continue to operate if one of the systems ever went down but, no, they are too cheap to do so.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”