Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by HaveaMint »

"Squirrels are rats with good PR. "
They are tree rats and fubar a lot of things. They are also tasty if cook correct.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

They forgot to mention causing power outages and chewed up wiring in homes and vehicles.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

nah, that can't be true??
April fool.jpeg
April fool.jpeg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Squirrels ARE tree rats, and they have no value other than to sucker folks into thinking they are cute.

Already had one huff and puff over the new password on my Lemur Pro. I told her to save up her money from her job and buy her own, her response was she wanted to use mine. My response was "Too Bad".

Attempting to update my MSI gaming laptop and &^&!^#$!!! Windows hangs at installing a boat load of updates. I had to reboot, and it told me that it could not install updates due to an interruption. There was an interruption because WINDOWS &$)!@!!! WOULD NOT INSTALL! Now it is finally installing, but the battery was dead on the MSI. If I shut it down, and do not use it for more than four days, the battery dies. Unacceptable. It is an MSI GS65 Stealth, that I got extra cheap because they were changing the model years.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:20 am Squirrels ARE tree rats, and they have no value other than to sucker folks into thinking they are cute.
I like squirrels! I don't mind them sharing bird seed and maybe that's why they have never, yet, done any damage around my house; they like me too. The most dangerous and destructive animals on the planet are homo-sapiens. :cry: I'm happy to let wild life do what it has always done and hope may continue to do.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

JTemple wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:20 am Squirrels ARE tree rats, and they have no value other than to sucker folks into thinking they are cute.
I like squirrels! I don't mind them sharing bird seed and maybe that's why they have never, yet, done any damage around my house; they like me too. The most dangerous and destructive animals on the planet are homo-sapiens. :cry: I'm happy to let wild life do what it has always done and hope may continue to do.
I agree .Humans are the most destructive of all the species. Humans want the earth for themselves, squirrels are a nuisance and have to be terminated because they cause a little harm to humans.
From the perspective of the squirrels humans hunt them down and put their dead bodies in plastic bags.Humans including me are gross and a bane to this earth.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

deepakdeshp wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:57 am
JTemple wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 am
I agree .Humans are the most destructive of all the species. Humans want the earth for themselves, squirrels are a nuisance and have to be terminated because they cause a little harm to humans.
From the perspective of the squirrels humans hunt them down and put their dead bodies in plastic bags.Humans including me are gross and a bane to this earth.
I don't kill them, I trap them and then take them several miles away from my house. I have had to pay far too much to repair their damage. I cannot afford to keep fixing things they destroy. My daughter's vehicle cost us over $1800 in repairs! So I take the little...critters off and let them have fun in some other area. I have moved about 15 so far. I have no desire to kill anything at all. I just want the destructive little monsters to do it somewhere else.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

HaveaMint wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20 pm "Squirrels are rats with good PR. "
They are tree rats and fubar a lot of things. They are also tasty if cook correct.
We feed the Squirrels. We enjoy them, they come straight to the feeder,
then the dogs beg to get thru the patio door, so they can chase them.
it is a game, only 2 squirrels lost it in the last few years....
always a young one that hasn't learned yet.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:40 am
HaveaMint wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20 pm "Squirrels are rats with good PR. "
We feed the Squirrels. We enjoy them, they come straight to the feeder,
If one enjoys their antics it's free free entertainment. I especially love to watch the Blue Jays and squirrels interact. It can be hilarious! Jays come and peck squirrel heads but some times it takes 3 passes for the squirrel to move so Jay can eat. I even love our raccoons! Did you know, if you have coons on your propert you will never have rats?!

My house if insulated with fibre and rodents hate the stuff and will never move in. It does them no harm, is not toxic but it burns their eyes and thus, not something they want to live in.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

JTemple wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:05 pm ...Did you know, if you have coons on your propert you will never have rats?!...
True, but you will have coons. They can be even more trouble than squirrels.

The vermin I have to deal with are cats, both feral and house pets that their idiot owners let run loose. Those things are as bad as raccoons, if not worse.

I'm legally allowed to kill vermin except for cats. It's class 4 felony to kill one and catching and relocating (aka dumping) them is also a felony (thanks to the elected vermin in County and State Government; Forget P.R., I swear the cats have their own lobby). The private shelters usually won't take them because they are full up and the county pound charges $99 to take them because they are funded only for dogs. Making matters worse are the idiots who feed the misbegotten beasts despite it being against the rules where I live.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:36 pm True, but you will have coons. They can be even more trouble than squirrels.
True, you will have coons but as stated my insulation keeps them out of my house and rats are far more repulsive to me! Rats can go through concrete, they have multiple litters a year, they are far worse disease carriers and my insulation would not keep rats out of my house, they would just move to the basement. Coons are much easier to monitor and control as far as I'm concerned. Even mice won't come through my insulation but rats, they can and will go anywhere. Even if I believed in poison, no poison works on rats for more than a year; they breed so fast that they promptly become immune, traps fail either because we leave a scent on them or they see one rat trapped and are educated. Rats are the only animal as successful as humans and because of humans. They are like the cancer of the animal world! Racoons don't bother me and I don't bother them and I do encourage them to remain on my property because a few years ago, someone took it into there head to remove all the coons on our street, the rats started arriving within a month. I celebrated when last summer I started seeing coon families on the street again and guess what? The rats promptly moved out. Given a choice of pest, I choose coons. Mind you, I do not leave any garbage out that they could feed on. My 2 dogs tend to keep them away from the immediate yard. Coons have never given me any trouble, ever! AND I enjoy my squirrels, who also entertain and never done any harm to my property beyond moving my flower bulbs around; they dig them up and the bury them somewhere else. So, all in all, I'm OK with most of the urban wild life, even opossums. Except for rats, I live and let live.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I WILL kill rats and mice, they are worse (if possible) than squirrels. We have possums walk along the back fence daily, we ignore each other.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:26 am My daughter's vehicle cost us over $1800 in repairs!
About a week ago I spotted my neighbor using a Shop-Vac under the hood of his relatively new Ford Ranger pickup. Curiosity got to me so I asked if he needed help.

Parked outside the squirrels discovered the plastic covers under the hood rather tasty. Said he learned that particular plastic has a soybean component. Fortunately no sign of munching on wiring, least not yet.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah, all the plastic is now what they call "Bio Plastic" according to the Toyota guy I spoke with. Squirrels love it. So do rats.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:28 am Yeah, all the plastic is now what they call "Bio Plastic" according to the Toyota guy I spoke with. Squirrels love it. So do rats.
What a con/scam, "Bio Plastic" is no better than regular plastic but it eases the conscience of the ecologically minded while providing a great new trough for the rodents. It is not as though that stuff is realistically "compostable". :(
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JTemple wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:13 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:28 am Yeah, all the plastic is now what they call "Bio Plastic" according to the Toyota guy I spoke with. Squirrels love it. So do rats.
What a con/scam, "Bio Plastic" is no better than regular plastic but it eases the conscience of the ecologically minded while providing a great new trough for the rodents. It is not as though that stuff is realistically "compostable". :(
Point, but the darn squirrels love it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, my daughter (oldest) gave me a haircut today, and as a result, I think it would look better if I shave my head. *sigh* She tried. Normally she is adequate, but today it was just not in the cards.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Well, I recently got a "varmint" that trumps squirrels, rats, 'coons, and 'possums. Last night, between 9:30 PM and 10 PM, I stepped on a bark scorpion with my bare foot and the misbegotten little bugger stung me on my right, fourth toe. I haven't experienced pain that intense since I blew out my knee around 15 years ago. I thought I would just tough it out after taking a couple of Aleve and a couple of Benadryl (the usual recommended treatment) but, by 11:30 PM, the numbness (it's weird to experience pain and numbness at the same time) had spread up to my knee and even the tip of my tongue started tingling (water tasted horrible and it felt like the water was full of sand and gravel when it ran over my tongue) and I was starting to feel a bit light headed, I got more scared than mad and called 911.

I eventually was connected to Poison Control and, after playing twenty questions, they assured me that, even though I was going to be very unhappy for a while, I would be alright as long as I could still swallow saliva and water. They called me a couple of times during the night to make sure I hadn't done something inconvenient (like dying). As a precaution, I left the door unlocked and turned the porch light on so the paramedics could easily get to me if it ever came to that.

The pain is better now (relatively speaking) and is confined to my foot (I always was able to walk on it even though it was significantly less than pleasant to do so). The pins and needles sensation is confined to my foot, ankle and lower shin although my calf muscles still feel a little sore if I lightly massage them. I haven't been able to find the little monster yet (the terminology being used is to satisfy forum regulations) but, when I do (and after I scrape myself off the ceiling), it's going to become a gooey grease spot I'll have to mop up.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:14 pm Well, my daughter (oldest) gave me a haircut today, and as a result, I think it would look better if I shave my head. *sigh* She tried. Normally she is adequate, but today it was just not in the cards.
My daughter ( youngish at that, 45 now ) is the one who cuts my hair.
at 78, it is thin and pure white now.
the last time, she said "it looks too short"

me: "don't matter, in 2 weeks it will need to cut again"
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:30 pm Well, I recently got a "varmint" that trumps squirrels, rats, 'coons, and 'possums. Last night, between 9:30 PM and 10 PM, I stepped on a bark scorpion with my bare foot and the misbegotten little bugger stung me on my right, fourth toe. I haven't experienced pain that intense since I blew out my knee around 15 years ago. I thought I would just tough it out after taking a couple of Aleve and a couple of Benadryl (the usual recommended treatment) but, by 11:30 PM, the numbness (it's weird to experience pain and numbness at the same time) had spread up to my knee and even the tip of my tongue started tingling (water tasted horrible and it felt like the water was full of sand and gravel when it ran over my tongue) and I was starting to feel a bit light headed, I got more scared than mad and called 911.

I eventually was connected to Poison Control and, after playing twenty questions, they assured me that, even though I was going to be very unhappy for a while, I would be alright as long as I could still swallow saliva and water. They called me a couple of times during the night to make sure I hadn't done something inconvenient (like dying). As a precaution, I left the door unlocked and turned the porch light on so the paramedics could easily get to me if it ever came to that.

The pain is better now (relatively speaking) and is confined to my foot (I always was able to walk on it even though it was significantly less than pleasant to do so). The pins and needles sensation is confined to my foot, ankle and lower shin although my calf muscles still feel a little sore if I lightly massage them. I haven't been able to find the little monster yet (the terminology being used is to satisfy forum regulations) but, when I do (and after I scrape myself off the ceiling), it's going to become a gooey grease spot I'll have to mop up.
I have been stung multi times by scorpions, the first is the worst but you do build a tolerance to them. It still hurts when they sting you. The first time I was in bed and it got me on top of the leg real close (too close) to the lap area. It felt like a cigar getting crushed out on me and left a bruise from my knee to my hip. They seem to love crawling up walls up to the ceiling and then drop down. Also when you enter doorways look around the door as you enter.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Open Chat”